Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Upper Panhard Support

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Upper Panhard Support

What is the purpose of this? I'm gonna have my duals extended out the rear in a month or so. I don't wanna take them under the axle because it looks half assed but taking 3" duals over the axle wont fit with the upper panhard support in the stock location. I'm not paying the suspension companies 200+ for a freaking piece of tubing and two metal plates you can forget that crap. The guy doing my duals wants to remove it. He did it to his car and says he noticed no difference. What do you guys think?
Old 05-23-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

bump it ttt
Old 05-23-2008, 11:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

It's just one of those things GM spend money on for the hell of it.....

DO NOT TAKE IT OFF, unless you want make the PHB move around, and risk the body side PHB mount cracking or ripping off the car.

Modifying suspension parts for exhaust pipes is insane. If you are hell-bent on duals, then you want something like this: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=18&ModelID=7.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-23-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The main purpose of the bar is to lend extra support to the passenger side body mount. With lateral forces being exerted on the mount without the support it would be conceivable that the mount could fatigue and fail over a period of time.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen one of those chassis mounts ripped in half (it failed, was welded and failed again, this time the car wound up being wrecked). This was on a track car, but it had the support in place at the time and still failed.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A panhard relocation kit as it is known is what is called "doing a job right".

Removing or cutting the stock one is the mentality of someone who wants to cheap out and do things the "ahem" ricer way.

I would have to say most if not ALL of the suspension pieces used on our cars are their for a purpose, just because car b uses something different and may not have that part, doesn't mean on your car that because car b doesn't have it, ergo your car doesn't need it.

This hobby is pay to play. To do things half assed with the power these cars make risks your life and the lives of others on the road. If you are willing to do true duals out the back, then do it the right way.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by transamws6_97
What is the purpose of this? I'm gonna have my duals extended out the rear in a month or so. I don't wanna take them under the axle because it looks half assed but taking 3" duals over the axle wont fit with the upper panhard support in the stock location. I'm not paying the suspension companies 200+ for a freaking piece of tubing and two metal plates you can forget that crap. The guy doing my duals wants to remove it. He did it to his car and says he noticed no difference. What do you guys think?
spend the 200 dollars, thats like only 3 tanks of gas now days
Old 05-24-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

I was on BMRs site the other day taking a look at some 2005+ Mustang suspension parts for the hell of it and seen that they also come with the upper panhard brace.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:56 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by trackbird
I have seen one of those chassis mounts ripped in half (it failed, was welded and failed again, this time the car wound up being wrecked). This was on a track car, but it had the support in place at the time and still failed.
track car as in drag racing or other?
Old 05-27-2008, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ
track car as in drag racing or other?
This was a road race car. But it had the support and managed to generate enough force to shear the mount and eventually shear it clear off which resulted in a spin and a wreck on track. When it broke, the tire locked up against the body and the car spun instantly, it was then hit by the car that had been following it.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:53 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by trackbird
This was a road race car. But it had the support and managed to generate enough force to shear the mount and eventually shear it clear off which resulted in a spin and a wreck on track. When it broke, the tire locked up against the body and the car spun instantly, it was then hit by the car that had been following it.
thats crazy.
musta been exerting some force in the corners.
hope everybody made it out ok.

Quick Reply: Upper Panhard Support