Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

complete brake rebuild with Brembos and Hawk Pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default complete brake rebuild with Brembos and Hawk Pads

I have to say a big thanks to Mike @ rotorsonline.com. He hooked me up with some great rotors, excellent pads, and stainless steel lines. I ordered this stuff back in March, and thought I was going to install it over Spring Break. Mike got my rotors cryogenic treated and to me within a short amount of time. Mike also cryogenic treated my rotors for free and did not charge me for shipping.
Well my cousin and I spent this past Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday night, and Wednesday morning rebuilding my brakes and messing with my 12 bolt. We broke down the brackets to the calipers, cleaned them, cleaned the pins, put in new grease, stripped the paint off the rear brackets. We stripped the paint from all four calipers and cleaned them. We bleed the system, put in 3 out of the 4 earl solo bleeders, and replaced 4 out of the 5 stainless lines. One solo bleeder got crushed, so I ordered another set from the WS6store.com. Thanks guys @WS6Store for the free shipping. The stainless steel line that could not be installed was, the line between the chassis and the rear. My cousin ended up rounding one of the flare nuts, but it was not like he did not try. He fought that son of a bitch with a torch, candle wax, 3 days of spraying it with mobil 1 lubricant, extreme grip craftsman wrenches were purchased as well as line wrenches. I also have a torn boot on one of the front calipers, so they got ordered. So hopefully once those parts arrive, this job can finally be done. I am back out on the road again though and very happy. I suppose sometime in the future I will buy some new rear hard lines, and be able to use the 5th stainless line. But that will have to wait, I got too many other parts that need to be installed for a while.
As far as the 12 bolt, we replaced the cover gasket and put new seals in the axles.
I took a few pictures while we were working, its not much, but I told Mike I would post some pictures.

The reason the paint was stripped, was because the color of the calipers was pleasantly called "Marorange" (a combination of dark red and orange, where the paint had faded)

Sorry the pictures are dark
Front brakes

Front brakes with mounted wheel

rear calipers after stripping

Last edited by kny3twalker; 05-24-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I got the piston boot and solo bleeder installed this weekend. While taking apart the caliper to get the piston removed, we used my cousin's air compressor to shoot the piston from the caliper. We bleed the brakes again, and now everything feels great.