Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilsteins comin... (REVALVED?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
hpjunky 6 comes after 5

I like your 2nd #5 statement. You will eventually find someone who likes ANY setup if you ask enough. But you should also consider that not everyones driving conditions are the same. Someone who loves sportlines and stock shocks might be driving on perfectly flat roads everywhere and driving their car once a week.

I think he should just go out and try it.
LOL I was tired
Old 06-03-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Actually if you are getting an entirely different car in a year, I wouldn't spend any money on the suspension but that's just me.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Actually if you are getting an entirely different car in a year, I wouldn't spend any money on the suspension but that's just me.
I agree. And even though Italiano has finally realised what we've been saying all along, I'll say this. Since the car will be sold, and the desire to not put much money into it, because he's really not looking to improve performance, wants to change the look, and would like not to lose much comfort, then here's a suggestion if some money is to be kept in the meantime.

Purchase only the rear Koni's (either 4th Gen or 3rd Gen) and when you get your G2 super springs then you can install them and maybe use a "cheaper" shock up front (some will temporarily keep the stock shocks, even though it's not recommended) then at least the rear would be okay. From experience, the rear shocks are some of the biggest culprits with concerns to the car's poor performance and comfort. Eventually, Koni's on the front would be desirable, but at least the rear problem would be resolved in a significant way.

AFA the "go to a f______ other thread" comment, unecessary and futile. This thread topic has been pushed all over the place since the original poster was searching for an answer based on some sort of implied pre-concluded answer.

When one asks about revalves and as long as the moderators don't have a problem, I'm going to give my direct answer concerning it, because I have revalved a variety of shocks on at least 7 different cars for at least 2 years. Doesn't make me an absolute "expert" and/or "guru" nor have I ever claimed to be, but what I have claimed with concerns to revalving off the shelve HD's are accurate, not only because Sam has quiet a bit of experience with it as well (through other thread statements), but I too recieved these answers from Bilstein, Koni, and serveral other major manufacturers and their authorised service shops before I finally got to really do them myself. Concerning professional, semi-professional, and/or club racing, it may be the only option, especially on rebuildable/servicable motorsport shocks. Concerning what most daily driver's/weekend competitors do, it's time consuming, expensive, and only economical if it's done with a good specification with many lot orders and sold through a reputable dealer with the specified vehicle. I've already mentioned earlier about the other downfalls of a one-off custom revalve and rebuild with a cheaper street shock.

Really, this thread implicity demonstrates how shameful it is that Thyssen-Krupp Bilstein of America has decided to do what they've done concerning the 4th-Gen F-body shocks. I can't comment on their current situation regarding their decisions, but until a truly mid-priced viable solution comes along, vendors and customers alike will have to opt for a significant difference in price and quality.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Italiano
because opinions change. We got off topic. I have recieved numerous PM's from those who have that settup
What's up with this anyway? How come they don't post their opinions in here? What kind of responses did you get?
Old 06-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

its about split down the middle. the ones that said they liked the settup had just recently gotten it done, so they really dont know how it will handle 10k miles later
Old 06-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

and foxtron, all I wanted was AN OPINION FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS IT DONE. and you guys just kept saying the same thing over and over, which was wierd because I never argued with you. But everytime i asked for another opinion, the experts would freak out and act as if im stubborn. made no sense. yes your guys' info is valued, as well as OTHERS'
Old 06-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Restricted User

I have HD's with Hotchkis springs. Here's my thoughts. I rode in three separate Koni-equipped cars (two with my springs) before I got my Bilsteins. When I first put them on, I thought "well this is every bit as good as those Koni's" and I felt great. But after I got used to them and the springs settled in, I started to notice differences. The ride is fine...in fact I dare say that the HD's actually ride better than the Koni's with these springs. But I do notice a very slight "bob" in the rear after a really hard hit, and when pushing the car hard in a turn, if I hit a pothole or ledge or something, the car will sometimes "fly" off of it (by that I mean the tire stays in the air longer than it should), and this causes the rear end to step out bad sometimes.

Overall i'm not dissatisfied with my purchase...i paid $210 shipped for a complete set of HD's brand new in box, so really how can I? But I will say that before the end of the summer, i'm getting Koni's for at least the rear end if not all around.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

and foxtron, all I wanted was AN OPINION FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS IT DONE. and you guys just kept saying the same thing over and over, which was wierd because I never argued with you. But everytime i asked for another opinion, the experts would freak out and act as if im stubborn. made no sense. yes your guys' info is valued, as well as OTHERS'
If you payed attention to my other posts, I said that I have had G2 super springs with off the shelve Bilsteins.

Remember to look at your thread subject. If you ask about REVALVES, you're going to get an answer about REVALVES.

Also, I will state again that an extra 500 USD is a lot to spend on a car that may be sold soon (I certainly agree), I realised that over again, and suggested what I believe is a good alternative that won't break the bank as much, but is pretty darn viable. I don't see anything in your post even recognising my change of thought, which is okay since you're posts are projecting your personal emotions on those who are trying to help.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Junkie

its about split down the middle. the ones that said they liked the settup had just recently gotten it done, so they really dont know how it will handle 10k miles later
Cool thanks for the info

Another thing to consider is when did they buy their HD/G2 combo. If it were in the past, the HD shocks may have been valved a little better. Though I'm not sure if the HD's were ever valved ideal for lowering springs.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Don't take it too personally. No offense to the rest of the population either but I'd take advice from people like Foxxtron, Sam Strano, Trackbird, Mitchntx, etc over the rest. One or two opinions from them will always override 100+ opinions from random users on ls1tech in my mind.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

...Another thing to consider is when did they buy their HD/G2 combo. If it were in the past, the HD shocks may have been valved a little better. Though I'm not sure if the HD's were ever valved ideal for lowering springs.
I'd say you're correct with concerns to the earlier HD's. From my experience the fronts were tolerable. It was the rears that intermittently bottomed out and occasionally double rebounded, but the real bugger is that the rears didn't last even 7,000 miles before needing replacement (most likely from the one or few times bottoming out, which was even evident from the both shock's external appearance). Due this occurance, the warranty on the HD's was void. The guys at the Bilstein will call in Poway, CA explained why and I admitted that it was no surprise to me, so I opted just to sell my G2's to a buddy of mine and then upgrade to the G2 coil-overs, and that's a whole other can of worms.

At a minimum and/or temporary solution, G2's with front HD's and rear 3rd Gen Koni SA's.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
If you payed attention to my other posts, I said that I have had G2 super springs with off the shelve Bilsteins.

Remember to look at your thread subject. If you ask about REVALVES, you're going to get an answer about REVALVES.

Also, I will state again that an extra 500 USD is a lot to spend on a car that may be sold soon (I certainly agree), I realised that over again, and suggested what I believe is a good alternative that won't break the bank as much, but is pretty darn viable. I don't see anything in your post even recognising my change of thought, which is okay since you're posts are projecting your personal emotions on those who are trying to help.
thats because I ran out of time. I recognized your change of thought, and believe it or not, dont think I will use the advice. If I am going to do koni rears, I might as well do all around... unless my stock fronts will hold up for a year or two.

and I am projecting my personal emotions on those who want to "cut a hole in a piece of paper and put it on my face?" I love all the help, I learned more here than I ever did, but when I ask for more opinions, don't get all "im right, everyone should listen to me!" on me. Fact of the matter is, you probably are right and know more about this subject than the majority, but for God sakes... let me hear from others too

and yes foxtron, I know I asked about revalved, but we got way off subject a while back, I am only responding now

Last edited by Italiano; 06-05-2008 at 08:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-06-2008, 02:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, everybody in this thread probably notices now how this whole medium of communication can really break down into misunderstandings on all sides. I think this whole performance "dogma" get's really misunderstood at times. As z28bryan mentions, most of us tend to share this advice based on much experience. Just as a reminder, hearing from others was not the problem from me nor did I or claim so please do not imply that I'm surpressing anyone by my commenting alone. I type exactly what I mean and if you notice I type exactly what I experience, nothing more, nothing less.

As a general comment on LG's stuff, their usual stuff is really high quality, and LG himself is quite good at every motorsports competition he's been in. I had some other of their stuff as well, but in actuality, I think that it's misleading at the fact that their website defends the need not to adjust valving, because even though they use (as well as sell) Bilstein ASN motorsport shocks (the shocks that are part of their coil-over kits), they imply that what they give you will work which can to an extent but as I search through their website gallery, I cannot help but see a shock and spring dyno which pretty much tells me they either use it to revalve their shocks (highly likely) or it's just shop decor (not likely knowing the cost of a shock dyno machine). While I agree that there's only so much workable adjustment range available with concerns to valving, this doesn't necessarily translate directly into having just a single spec valving working well for everybody. Since no other shock that directly fits the 4th Gen F-body does really what the Koni SA does well (especially allowing the user to adjust at will), that's why I break ranks from some of LG's advice.

Anyways, it's nice to know that you're noticing a little more about this car and deciding to really spend a little extra to get a lot in return. And here's an interesting fact that I'll state since you're mentioning getting a C5. With this setup, you'll come awfully close to a C5. Not all C5's, but many of the stock ones. As noticed from the many threads of those who opt for the tried and true combinations find out that if money and time is spent in some of the areas of the 4th Gen F-body that's truly needed (especially shocks) you'll get a lot in return.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

I have no problem droping over 2k on suspension... but like I said, I hope to get a C5 soon so im sitting on a ******* teeter totter! Ill probably just do SA's and say screw it, then hold off any any other mods till my new love comes in.

how long would my stock fronts hold up if I did SA rears only?
Old 06-07-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your fronts are probably already shot as they are. They were poorly valved to begin with, and now that they're most likely over 6 years old (since last F-body was made sometime in 2002), however they're no where near as bad as the DeCarbon rears from the factory. The two worst culprits to poor handling with concerns to the stock suspension are mostly the two rear shocks and the front swaybar.

Really, if you have even the slightest hint at selling your F-body, you might just want to hold out on any mod until you get the C5, since anything done to the car at this point would be considered a loss when the vehicle is sold. If you are absolutely compelled to do ANY mod to your F-body, then it should be Koni SA's all around. As you've probably read around here, you can still lower the f-body on Koni SA's all around with the stock springs. It doesn't lower the car by much, but IMHO it improves the stock ride and handling with minimal compromise, plus the subtle lowering in ride height does look good, even if it doesn't lower it to most people's liking.

Now, what I'd like to mention is with a C5, there are even fewer mods that are needed to improve performance and ride height. Depending on which model you get, they make Koni's for them as well. Also, the newer Koni's for the C5 and C6 are inverted for reduced unsprung weight, not to mention that the a-arms are already lighter, and the leaf springs are very lightweight as well. Also, since the leaf springs already allow to adjust ride height, there are DIY and some pre-made "lowering kits" out there that allow one to lower the car "slightly" through just two sets of height adjusters which look like bolts. For a C5 daily driver, there's not a whole lot to be done to improve the handling and braking performance of it.

Just thought I should throw these options out here while I'm at it.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

BTW, if I may post this website as well (which was created by ls1tech's very own jmX):

http://www.ls1howto.com/

If you compare each car's suspension's "how-to's", you'll notice how easy it is to modify the C5's suspension compared to the 4th-Gen F-body's. If you do any mods to your F-body, you'll notice how much labour is involved with it, which if you're not doing on your own will result in an even lighter pocketbook. I should also mention that from my experience with working on both car's suspensions, I didn't mind working on the 4th Gen F-body at all, but it was very little time and effort to modify the C5's suspension to get some improvements I needed.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

yea, I would hold off on any mods but when I say it looks like a 4x4 i am not kidding. I need to drop her down, so Ill just have to end up doin sa's around and g2's. but thats good news to hear about the c5
Old 06-08-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

That 4x4 look is hot. I'm honestly the only one who thinks that, hahaha

Quick Reply: Bilsteins comin... (REVALVED?)