Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Quick Pinion Angle question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Quick Pinion Angle question.

I've seen a billion different ways to calculate pinion angle.
Let's keep this simple.

DS +2 angle (upward into tranny)
Pinion/yoke -2 (yoke points down)

What is my pinion angle?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2008, 02:32 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

We have a three minute video that explains the correct way to set your pinion angle. Give it a look, and if you have any further questions please contact me.

http://www.bmrtvonline.com/video_detail.php?mId=3788
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 05-28-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:41 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks BMR

I've seen so many different calculations here, thanks for confirming that.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I am no mistaken that is -4*
Wouldn't 0* mean the driveshaft and pinion are in a perfectly straight line.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:48 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Talking

Danno was the video helpful? If you measure the driveshaft at the rear near the yolk of the rearend and it is pointing downhill that is considered negative, if the pinion is also going downhill it is also considered a negative reading. Although the needle will on opposite sides of zero when viewed from the same side of the vehicle. After reviewing your info your angle would be -4. If you have any further questions feel free to give me a call.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Danno was the video helpful? If you measure the driveshaft at the rear near the yolk of the rearend and it is pointing downhill that is considered negative, if the pinion is also going downhill it is also considered a negative reading. Although the needle will on opposite sides of zero when viewed from the same side of the vehicle. After reviewing your info your angle would be -4. If you have any further questions feel free to give me a call.

It's very helpful but the confusing part of the video was the calculation. I thought it was pinion(rear)* - DS*.

in the video example Rear = -5 and DS = 2

so -5 - 2= -7, but the video say's it would be -3? So you are really adding them.

so -2 - 2 = -4, but if you follow how the video says it and what you said above it would be 0. If they are both negative angles -2 - -2 = 0

That is why I am confused, but if you say its -4 that makes sense to me I guess because both DS and rear create a slight "V" angle, but the math in the video is verbally incorrect I think. So what you are saying is a + driveshaft angle should be subtracted from the pinion(rear) angle, and per say if the driveshaft was a negative it would be added to the rear angle.

Confusing huh I've been tryign to figure this out for years and I always get different responses. Think you can confirm the above math for me? Then maybe we could sticky the topic
Old 05-28-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

I watched the video and was confused also.
I wanted to say the BMR video is wrong but didn't want to be the only one. LOL
But yes Danno you are correct. I just rechecked my pinion angle this weekend and had the rear of my car on ramps. The driveshaft was about +6* (pointing up towards the rear of the car) and my rear end was at +4*. +4-(+6)=-2
Old 05-28-2008, 11:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Its very confusing but think of it this way. If you have a reading of-5 degrees at the rear which would put the needle to right of 0 if your looking at it from the drivers side. Then when you take the reading on the driveshaft and it is -2 to left of 0 then you would have a reading of -7 degrees. If the needle would have been to the right of zero on the driveshaft reading then you would have subtracted the +2 from the -5 and would wind up with -3 as your total. Hope that helps.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-28-2008, 11:40 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
I watched the video and was confused also.
I wanted to say the BMR video is wrong but didn't want to be the only one. LOL
But yes Danno you are correct. I just rechecked my pinion angle this weekend and had the rear of my car on ramps. The driveshaft was about +6* (pointing up towards the rear of the car) and my rear end was at +4*. +4-(+6)=-2
When you say the rear was +4, was the yoke facing down? If your rear is +4 then it would point up toward the bottom of the car? Or am I just reading you wrong.

Using an angle finder like the one in the video if the needle is to the left of 0 that is a negative correct? Assuming you are facing/measuring at the right side of the car.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Its very confusing but think of it this way. If you have a reading of-5 degrees at the rear which would put the needle to right of 0 if your looking at it from the drivers side. Then when you take the reading on the driveshaft and it is -2 to left of 0 then you would have a reading of -7 degrees. If the needle would have been to the right of zero on the driveshaft reading then you would have subtracted the +2 from the -5 and would wind up with -3 as your total. Hope that helps.
Thanks I think I understand that logic more.

I am reading my #'s from the right side of the car, so it looks like I do have a -4.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

very confusing topic and everything is relative.

Sorry, I was not giving angle finder readings. If I were then i guess the driveshaft would be 6* to the left of 0 and the yolk would be 4* to the left of 0*.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:22 PM
11 Second Club

very confusing topic and everything is relative.

Sorry, I was not giving angle finder readings. If I were then i guess the driveshaft would be 6* to the left of 0 and the yolk would be 4* to the left of 0*.
Huh so your yoke is pointed towards the floor of the car, where as mine is pointed 2* towards the ground. I guess that could be attributed to your car being lowered.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:23 PM
12 Second Club

The math in the video doesnt make sense. Yours would be -4 tilt up the rear so its -1 so it still makes a V but 1 degree less.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Huh so your yoke is pointed towards the floor of the car, where as mine is pointed 2* towards the ground. I guess that could be attributed to your car being lowered.
Remeber, the rear of the car was on ramps. The yolk will still be pointing up, just 2* less than the driveshaft. Which means when I put my car back at ground level the driveshaft will be 6 degree less (0*) and the yolk will be 6* less (-2*) (assuming the driveshaft will be perfectly parallel to the ground when taken off the ramps).
Old 05-28-2008, 01:11 PM
11 Second Club

Remeber, the rear of the car was on ramps. The yolk will still be pointing up, just 2* less than the driveshaft. Which means when I put my car back at ground level the driveshaft will be 6 degree less (0*) and the yolk will be 6* less (-2*) (assuming the driveshaft will be perfectly parallel to the ground when taken off the ramps).
I see what you are saying. I put my car on a lift and jacked up the rear just until I barely saw the back start to lift. So my car was parallel the whole time.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Wow I thought I understood this thing LOL, but I guess that I was wrong. I need to set my pinion angle, but my head gaskets blew out before I could really do anything else. But lets see if I got this or I'm completely off...

(This is just an example, I don't have my measurements, and I'll be using an angle finder like the one on the BMR clip) And for exapmle I'm laying on the ground under the passengers side of the car looking at the driveshaft..

Lets say that my driveshaft is tilting down towards the rear of the car at 5* and my rear where the TA bolts to the axle is at 2* pointing the pinion towards the bottom of the car, not the ground. I would have a 3* angle correct
Old 05-28-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Wow I thought I understood this thing LOL, but I guess that I was wrong. I need to set my pinion angle, but my head gaskets blew out before I could really do anything else. But lets see if I got this or I'm completely off...

(This is just an example, I don't have my measurements, and I'll be using an angle finder like the one on the BMR clip) And for exapmle I'm laying on the ground under the passengers side of the car looking at the driveshaft..

Lets say that my driveshaft is tilting down towards the rear of the car at 5* and my rear where the TA bolts to the axle is at 2* pointing the pinion towards the bottom of the car, not the ground. I would have a 3* angle correct

That would be a pinion angle of -7*

Last edited by vjo90rs8; 09-01-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
The pinion angle is -3 as it's 3 degrees less than the driveshaft angle.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

alright so i am doing the same job my drive shaft is at a positive 4 and my pinion is at 0 so what is my pinion angle
Old 05-29-2008, 12:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ilikeppie
alright so i am doing the same job my drive shaft is at a positive 4 and my pinion is at 0 so what is my pinion angle

Quick Reply: Quick Pinion Angle question.