Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes not wanting to work.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Brakes not wanting to work.

I have been having issues with my brakes for awhile, after I changed out my rear calipers. The brakes felt like they had air in them. So I changed the calipers back, and it made no difference, and this was after bleeding all 4 corners. So tonight we bench bled the master, and it did have some air in it, we bled all for corners again 2 times, 6-7 times each. The pedal feels much better till you start up the car, and you can tap the brake pedal with your foot and it goes about half way down to the floor. We are 100% sure there is no air in the system, and I removed the ABS in favor of a ABS delete block if that matters.

We checked for air in the lines again after pumping them with the car on, and it had none. I have bled these brakes before 5-6 times with no issues, and other various cars, and this is the first time I have ran into anything like this.. and the car only has 45k miles on it, so the booster and master should be good.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Captain InsaneO; 06-03-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:30 PM
10 Second Club

And yes the bleeder valve is at the top.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, clear up a couple things please.

When you say "you can tap the brake pedal with your foot and it goes about half way down to the floor." Do you mean all by itself or with just something like shoe wieght against the pedal?

When the pedal is pressed just enough to keep the car from rolling in gear on a level surface and then just held there without extra pressure will the brakes eventualy (within a minute) loosen up enough to allow the car to start to roll again without moving up or down on the pedal?

Also is there any brake fluid seepage on the back side of the master cylinder into or onto the booster or carpet?

Answers to these should narrow it down considerably.
Vernon
Old 06-03-2008, 10:44 PM
10 Second Club

#1 All by itself.
#2 no
#3 no

One thing I am looking into is, the Burkhart ABS delete I bought, used, had the right hole (if your looking at it as if you're sitting in the car) blocked off. That hole is located on the backside of the block, not the top. I removed the block off, and installed my line into it. The ABS delete block has no proportioning valve.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

Are the brakes actually locking down when the pedal is used or does it feel like a spongy pedal with weak brakes. I'm thinking it's a defective booster. But when you say it feels like air in the lines I'm wondering if it's just over boosting and making the pedal feel soft while the brakes are still strong or both pedal and brakes feel like there's air in the lines.

Vernon
Old 06-03-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might need a new master cylinder.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brakes not wanting to work.