Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Yet another Strano rear bar question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Yet another Strano rear bar question

I have the Strano front and stock rear right now...Strano rear is sitting in my garage.

I sometimes get oversteer with the stock rear swaybar, and I'm wondering if I will have to worry about hanging the back out all the time or losing it in fast corners if I do the swap.

I'm also running Konis and Hotchkis springs with a 3.90 gear.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

It is stiffer, but the front to rear balance of my car is about the same as an SS, WS6 or 94+ 1LE, just about 30% more. Now the front and rear suspensions aren't the same so 30% isn't the "same" at both ends.

I'd first want to know when/how you get your oversteer. Bars are about steady state balance and response. If you just come out of corners spinning the rear tires all the time, you'll always get oversteer....

The bars are meant to give balance. Balance by definition means the car can under or oversteer, there are a lot of factors involved, a LOT of them.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-13-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Well I'm not just spinning the tires all the time out of corners but it is pretty easy to step the car out and also easy to correct. So I want to know if the car would be more likely to get loose or harder to correct with your bar.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

A lot of folks have the set on and I never get compliants it too loose. I run them on my car, and we put them on Rick Jensen's car for the GMHTP article and he drives his car from Queens to Jersey a lot (it was his daily driver, not sure if that's the case these days).

More rear bar does make the car more free, but again if you are running too much tire pressure, have binding rear control arms that could make the car loose too. I'm not sure your car is "loose". The key is you sometimes get oversteer. Details are sketchy, but you already have it... try it. Worst case you take if off, right?
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-13-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I liked it better with a front and rear a lot more balanced. Do you have a adju panhard bar that made my rear end stepping out TONS better. Get the UMI dual rod ends. But anytime with a car with some decent HP and rear drive coming out of a corner you should be able to get the rear to come out its called HP lol. Good luck on finding the setup you enjoy.

Quick Reply: Yet another Strano rear bar question