Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we had it on jack stands.. i got mine on with jackstands
Old 06-15-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Junkie

we had the front wheels off so we had better access to the end links..
Old 06-15-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine went on with no problems. Did you call Sam before posting a thread about it? Only reason i ask is becaus most vendors would rather you call first before posting something like this on a forum. But anyway good luck.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
Just as a note guys,

The late Arlyn Senter Strano was the mother of Sam Jr. (the one who chimes in here) and the late wife of Sam Strano Sr. (Sam's father, of course). I've dealt with all three whenever I've had the opportunity to do so and all were good, stand-up people and they all work well before the sale, during the sale process (if any thing holds up the process), and most customer support issues after the item has shipped if there are any needed. Since Arlyn tended to serve as the initial contact when answering the phone her help and courtesy will be missed, especially since I have yet to deal with many like her in this business.

Now, AFA my experience with the bar, it can be a challenging install, however mine went in with little problems, and what problems there were was due to the fact that I didn't properly angle the front end of the car upwards in order to get the endlinks on with little trouble, otherwise the install was pretty much a sure fit.

If UMI and Sam haven't seen this thread yet, it's best to get in contact with either one in order to ensure that this is not a defect, because if there is, then either UMI or stranoparts and the manufacturer (Addco) will extend themselves to remedy what's wrong. I know this from personal experience.
Yeah I don't think the issue is with the endlinks. But actually that the distance between the left and right elbow isn't as long as the ST bar or stock bar. The endlink connection is perfect. Maybe some people had different lengths between the elbows and that the QC issue could also be with the bar itself? Unless it's supposed to be that way, if so mine was fine. I just needed some elbow grease and some pushing and pulling. The bar I'm pretty sure is made by Addco.

This isn't mean to slam Sam by any means. If there is also QC issues with the bar itself then it's good that there is an awareness of it. I'll always order from him if he's got the parts I need. Service and technical help from him is priceless. Now if he could order BMW parts then I'll be in really good shape
Old 06-15-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Yeah I don't think the issue is with the endlinks. But actually that the distance between the left and right elbow isn't as long as the ST bar or stock bar. The endlink connection is perfect. Maybe some people had different lengths between the elbows and that the QC issue could also be with the bar itself? Unless it's supposed to be that way, if so mine was fine. I just needed some elbow grease and some pushing and pulling. The bar I'm pretty sure is made by Addco.

This isn't mean to slam Sam by any means. If there is also QC issues with the bar itself then it's good that there is an awareness of it. I'll always order from him if he's got the parts I need. Service and technical help from him is priceless. Now if he could order BMW parts then I'll be in really good shape

Yes I am not here to bash sam or his products. But this is what it is. I called him as well and am waiting a return call.

It doesn't matter if it was on ramps or stands. This issue has nothing to do with the endlinks, as the bar itself is not wide enough for the d brackets to fit on the bar. I've heard of it being a tight fit, but this one is impossible. 1.5 inches off when using elbow grease = not gonna happen. The bar really seems like it is almost for another car.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had to file the d brackets for the bar to fit.Sam told me that I would have to file them when I talked to him.He also said that it would be easer if the weight was on the wheel's.He also said thread all bolts and end links loose ,than tighten them down.
They are good people and should make it right.Give them a chance.Wait and talk to him, and see what he thinks.

Last edited by transwiz; 06-16-2008 at 03:59 AM.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah, filing the bracket isnt going to do anything.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transwiz
I had to file the d brackets for the bar to fit.Sam told me that I would have to file them when I talked to him.He also said that it would be easer if the weight was on the wheel's.
They are good people and should make it right.Give them a chance.
I am giving him a chance. I called Sam. If I don't hear back by tomorrow I'll try again.

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
yeah, filing the bracket isnt going to do anything.
No kidding. I would need a good .75 inches on EACH bracket for the bar to even get off the curve. Look at the picture, guys. We had THREE people helping just with the front sway when one person can usually do it. One holding it up, one holding the left bolt while the other tried to line up he bracket on the left side, and will all he might, we were still a full inch off (and the bracket was already bending around the curve.

I don't give a crap if I have to grind the brackets for the bolts to fit, its the fact that the bar isn't even near correct size. It is if like someone cut 2 inches from the middle of the bar off and put it back together.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

If it was me, I'd take it back off completely, put the car on ramps, loosely install brackets and bar (it will be a tight fit), then install the endlinks. Then tighten everything down. That's the exact order I did mine when I installed Sam's bar.

With the endlinks tightened up I doubt the bar would move much anyway, esp with the front suspension at droop.

Go back and try the way I suggested. If my way is wrong, then so be it. But it's worth a shot.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

I will be watching this thread. I am planning on getting Strano bars later this year. I did springs/koni's and love it.

I am sure Sam will get things right for you.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SGMZ28
If it was me, I'd take it back off completely, put the car on ramps, loosely install brackets and bar (it will be a tight fit), then install the endlinks. Then tighten everything down. That's the exact order I did mine when I installed Sam's bar.

With the endlinks tightened up I doubt the bar would move much anyway, esp with the front suspension at droop.

Go back and try the way I suggested. If my way is wrong, then so be it. But it's worth a shot.
That's exactly how i install mine. I dont see any other way that you could given how stiff everything is. It's worth a shot if you haven't tried it already.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SGMZ28
loosely install brackets and bar
Look at the pic. Both brackets cannot be installed at the same time, loosely or not.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:38 AM
TECH Junkie

if you need ramps, i must be smoking some GOOD ****, cuz i definitly got all my suspension done on jack stands
Old 06-16-2008, 07:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
if you need ramps, i must be smoking some GOOD ****, cuz i definitly got all my suspension done on jack stands
Were the jackstands on the outside of your control arms? If they were, that's also pretty much similar to having the suspension loaded.

I'm not sure how tough it is to install the front bar with the suspension unloaded or not. Maybe it's not bad? I do know that it was impossible to get my rear bar connected without the suspension loaded.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just installed the front and rear strano bars as well...the rear went on perfect. The front did need the bracket holes opened up a little which too all of 3 minutes with a file.

The front bar fit perfect though. I installed it with the suspension loaded so that the end links would bolt up and tighten the poly bushings straight. The D-shaped bar bushings are about 1-1.5" from the 90° curves in the bar. No issues with it at all.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thumbs down

Dissappointing to see someone complain about a product on a Saturday and a Sunday, WITHOUT waiting to contact the seller or the supplier first thing on Monday . . .

Yes I understand it is dissappointing to receive a product and it doesn't fit.

Unfortuante to see that you guys installed two bars by one supplier, and one gave you problems.

Unfortunately it occurs, and USUALLY the issue is resolved without slinging mud around on a public forum . . .
Old 06-16-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Dissappointing to see someone complain about a product on a Saturday and a Sunday, WITHOUT waiting to contact the seller or the supplier first thing on Monday . . .

Unfortuante to see that you guys installed two bars by one supplier, and one gave you problems.

Unfortunately it occurs, and USUALLY the issue is resolved without slinging mud around on a public forum . . .

I agree.

Saying that "I put in a call to him, and I'm still waiting"... is a moot point when the call was "put in" on a Sunday. I'm sure that even Sam likes a day off now and again....
Old 06-16-2008, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

I don't see it as mud slinging. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. If a guy reports that a batch of swaybars is made to the wrong specs, he's not questioning anybody's integrity. And when Sam has a chance to resolve the problem, we'll get to hear about how that went and everyone can live happliy ever after.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Bud M
And when Sam has a chance to resolve the problem . . . .
That's the point!!!! When was Sam given a chance to resolve this before a post with this inflamatory of a title was ever started????
Old 06-16-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28

+3 agreed.

Quick Reply: Strano Sway Bar Install