Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bad Vibrations Above 60 mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 04:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a FWIW, when you accelerate, the nose of the rear goes up, when you let off, it drops back down, so you either have too much downward angle on the nose or a u-joint issue, this will put stress on the pinion bearing & could cause noise.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LM97Z
Just a FWIW, when you accelerate, the nose of the rear goes up, when you let off, it drops back down, so you either have too much downward angle on the nose or a u-joint issue, this will put stress on the pinion bearing & could cause noise.
Yeah I realize that, but the gears whine all of the time when cruising meaning they are probably not setup correctly. If I let off the gas and let the car decelerate the whine goes away. I figured that the gears would have to be shimmed one way or the other. Mabye not though, but no matter what my pinion angle is the gear whine is the same, I could put my angle at a +10 and the whine would be exactly the same.

Thanks for the help though
Old 06-26-2008, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Well, I changed the pinion angle before and it did nothing, changed the shaft and tranny mount and all is good. Sorry if your not happy, but I sure am
i am glad you fixed the problem but like may ppl with this problem you fixed yours but we dont know what was the fix, which keeps ppl guessing still

anyways glad to hear your issue is solved
Old 06-29-2008, 02:18 AM
TECH Addict

Well if the u joints have been changed a few times and the driveshaft is balanced then the next step would be the tranny mount. I'm probably going to put the poly one back in in the next few days and see if the vibration comes back. I really don't like the rubber bushing, my shifter is all over the place when I accelerate hard, didn't move around nearly as much with the poly mount. But like I said before I really wanted the aluminum shaft anyway and it makes a good excuse to convince the wife to let me spend more money on the car. Besides the stock mount is only like $8 at autozone and takes 20 minutes to change.

I wish everyone else luck, but figured that only changing 2 things and the vibration being gone would narrow down the searching.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hell all i did was a brake change and i ended up with a vibe anywhere above 70. I'm ready to just sell the damn thing!
Old 06-30-2008, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sneaky7980
Hell all i did was a brake change and i ended up with a vibe anywhere above 70. I'm ready to just sell the damn thing!
HAHA I hear you man, I'm ready to get a GTO or something of the like here pretty soon at least then I'd have clearence for exhaust LOL
Old 06-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Those that have the S60 with the Strange chromoly shaft need to check these to things:

1. From discussions with UMI the larger housings (S60 and 9") like an angle of 0 degrees. Use UMI method to set the angle.

2. Check that Strange driveshaft. Mine was an ounce out of balance. Make sure you take it somewhere that can digitally balance it.

My vibration problem was a combination of these 2 things. The driveshaft helped but didn't fix the problem. I had to get that pinion angle dead nuts otherwise I would have change flying out of my cup holder. Took me forever just to get it right.

Good luck.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ElChiefWS602
Those that have the S60 with the Strange chromoly shaft need to check these to things:

1. From discussions with UMI the larger housings (S60 and 9") like an angle of 0 degrees. Use UMI method to set the angle.

2. Check that Strange driveshaft. Mine was an ounce out of balance. Make sure you take it somewhere that can digitally balance it.

My vibration problem was a combination of these 2 things. The driveshaft helped but didn't fix the problem. I had to get that pinion angle dead nuts otherwise I would have change flying out of my cup holder. Took me forever just to get it right.

Good luck.
Thanks a lot man!!!! I have the pinon angle of mine set at -2 so I bet that is what the problem is. I will go back to 0 today if I can. If that doesn't solve it I will try balancing the DS.

I'm taking the car on a 10 hr ROUNDTRIP travel this weekend and would like to not have to put up with the vibration.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
I'm taking the car on a 10 hr ROUNDTRIP travel this weekend and would like to not have to put up with the vibration.
Good luck!!! Very interested in what the fix is!!!
Old 06-30-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

FYI I did rotate the driveshaft 180 degrees and it did seem like it helped it some.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

OK well I just adjusted my pinion angle to 0 and guess what........

I THINK IT FIXED IT! Just low speed driving there is no vibration. I will need to take it on the highway to see how it does at speeds above 50.

But like I said, low speed, there is no vibration anymore.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

You mentioned you flipped your DS 180 degrees, makes me think the DS may be out slightly. It shouldn't matter which way you put the drivshaft in. My car did the same exact thing, improved when I flipped DS.

I would do like you said and take the car to a higher speed and see if a vibration develops. If it does pull the shaft and get it balanced. Only costs about $50 and a hour of your time.

Let us know how it works out.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

^^Wow $50 for just a balance?? My brother got a driveshaft shortened and balanced and it only cost $75 or $100

Quick Reply: Bad Vibrations Above 60 mph