Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

what paint color should i go with on a pewter trans am...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
Damn Eric, youre goin all out recently. I say black caliper/bracket w/ chrome lettering. Make sure if you do the duplicolor kit to do a clearcoat over it. Otherwise theyre a bitch to keep clean and the decals can start to peel off.
I didn't use clear, just multiple coats of paint and I haven't had a bit of problem keeping them clean.. They actually stay pretty clean and then a little water can get whatever little amount of brake dust they get on them off..
Old 06-23-2008, 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

How many coats did you apply? I just said that because Ive seen people who have had calipers get so nasty they had to repaint. They said they cleaned them 'often' but I dont really know how much that means. Those decals do have a way of working themselves off though if the calipers arent prepped really well though (with cleaning and such). Id say a coat of clear would be worth the time either way though to save some trouble in the future.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:11 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Eric, youre goin all out recently. I say black caliper/bracket w/ chrome lettering. Make sure if you do the duplicolor kit to do a clearcoat over it. Otherwise theyre a bitch to keep clean and the decals can start to peel off.
haha yea, im tryin to keep doin little things to keep me busy. If i dont i know ill end up with a 402 under the hood and my wallet kickin me in the ***, so while i save up for that 402 im gonna work on the "little" things. I am definetly gonna put at least one coat of clear, it wont hurt anything, if anything itll help seal in the stickers. I am leaning towards blue calipers/black brackets/blue decals. Depending on how my front bird comes out, how that goin?

Originally Posted by bene
I have a pewter car. I went w/ gloss black caliper w/ flat black bracket.
sounds nice, you have any pictures?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

How many coats did you apply? I just said that because Ive seen people who have had calipers get so nasty they had to repaint. They said they cleaned them 'often' but I dont really know how much that means. Those decals do have a way of working themselves off though if the calipers arent prepped really well though (with cleaning and such). Id say a coat of clear would be worth the time either way though to save some trouble in the future.
If I recall, only 2 but both were generous.. I really cleaned the calipers well too.. I used some degreaser that paint/body guys use (3m) and let it dry and then hit it with the paint brush.. I didn't use clear, but I bet it wouldn't hurt.. I also didn't add any decals..

Quick Reply: what paint color should i go with on a pewter trans am...