Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake master cylinder or other issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake master cylinder or other issues?

car: 2001 camaro z28
miles: 111,xxx
aftermarket parts=many

issue:

Lately my brake pedal has become very soft and requires a few presses before the pedel goes back to somewhat normal when driving. typically, the first press, the pedal goes to the floor then after a few more pedal comes back. Even if the pedal goes to the floor it still stops the car, but the braking/stop is not as strong as it should be. This has been progressively getting worse.

I figured this was either from air in the lines, and or bad hydraulic fluid, it was the original fluid since the car was brand new. I bled/flushed the fluid out by bleeding the brakes in the correct order; RP, RD, FP, FD side.

sadly even after the old fluid has been flushed out with new fluid, and each brake bled for air (no signs of air in the system) the brakes still perform the same.

Due to the milage on the car, this leads me to believe the master cylinder is going out.

however I have read, that the ABS controller on f-bodies can retain air inside and can not be bled unless you have GM Tech 2 handheld to purge the air from the ABS controller. or a solution to that is; drive the car, stop aggressively causing the ABS to kick in and this purges the ABS controller, then just re-bleed the brakes. This gaurantees the air is out.

any other thoughts or opinions?

in regards to the master cylinder, which brand would be best?

raybestos
bendix
GM oem
Fern something from autozone

Last edited by ibanez7; 06-18-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have this same issue but my ABS is in INOP mode because I don't have the rear ABS sensors connected because of the rear end. I have replaced both front calipers and bled the brakes 5-6 times already. Car stops when the pedal is about 2-3 inches from the floor. This brake issue has been kicking my *** since the beginning of May. I just want to safely drive the car again.

Quick Reply: brake master cylinder or other issues?