Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front spring spacers

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front spring spacers

Hey all,

I have my car lowered (almost 2 inches), and it looks great and handles awesome. Not worried bout scraping the bottom, but instead the front tires smackin the well and f&cKin up the shocks. This is due mostly to big potholes.

My question is, instead of buying new springs (front only) is there another way to raise the front... like a spacer. I'd only like to raise it about a half inch or so.
I saw BMR has some spacers but i think they're only for qa1's. I have koni sa's. What do you guys suggest or am i stuck buying new front springs and footing the price on the old ones. Id really like to keep my springs because I like the quality of them. Any help is much appreciated guys. THanks!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this... http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/sboots.html
Old 06-24-2008, 03:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

You can use the BMR spacers , or you can place 4 , 1/8" thick hardened washers under the bottom of each lower shock mount, 2 on each side. this should raise the front up about 1/2".
Old 06-24-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lt14mla
Hey all,

I have my car lowered (almost 2 inches), and it looks great and handles awesome. Not worried bout scraping the bottom, but instead the front tires smackin the well and f&cKin up the shocks. This is due mostly to big potholes.

My question is, instead of buying new springs (front only) is there another way to raise the front... like a spacer. I'd only like to raise it about a half inch or so.
I saw BMR has some spacers but i think they're only for qa1's. I have koni sa's. What do you guys suggest or am i stuck buying new front springs and footing the price on the old ones. Id really like to keep my springs because I like the quality of them. Any help is much appreciated guys. THanks!!!

Our SA002 spacers are compatible with the Koni SA's.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
Our SA002 spacers are compatible with the Koni SA's.
Hey Thanks, I just have a quick question. Im a little confused in the difference between the shock spacer and the spring cup. Which one am i looking for? I appreciate your help. I thought I was looking for the sa001 but i guess not. How hard are the sa002's to install as well? Thanks
Old 06-24-2008, 05:02 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Talking

Hello, you need the SA002. They are very easy just remove the two bolts from the shock where they attach to the a arm, place the spacer under the shock, reinsert the bolts and tighten. If you have any questions please give us a call.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-24-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome! Thanks for your help, I will be ordering a pair by Friday, i cant wait!!! Any idea how much i should torque those bolts back down to guys? Thanks!
Old 06-24-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

does 48 lbs sound right?
http://www.ls2.com/boggs/torques/fro...ifications.htm
Old 06-25-2008, 02:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

That looks correct ......

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 06-25-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

If you're concerned about bottoming out the shocks, adding spacers between the lower shock mount pin and lower A-arm will not help. It will raise the front end of the car but the distance between the bumpstop and top of the shock body will remain the same, so the same potholes and bumps will still compress the shock to its limits. In that case you need to increase the distance between the top of the shock body and bumpstop by adding a spacer that sits between the bottom of the spring and the shock absorber. Hope that helps.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeep_junkie
If you're concerned about bottoming out the shocks, adding spacers between the lower shock mount pin and lower A-arm will not help. It will raise the front end of the car but the distance between the bumpstop and top of the shock body will remain the same, so the same potholes and bumps will still compress the shock to its limits. In that case you need to increase the distance between the top of the shock body and bumpstop by adding a spacer that sits between the bottom of the spring and the shock absorber. Hope that helps.
so adding these bmr spacers will not increase the distance between the top of my wheel and the wheel well? What would be the purpose of adding these then? Can you provide some more specific advice on how i can alleviate this problem? (besides swapping springs) Im a little confused as far as your advice. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

FYI, he explained it very well Lt14mla, just read it again.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 06-26-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok, where can i buy one of these spacers? Im assuming they are different
Old 06-26-2008, 02:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Question

ok, where can i buy one of these spacers? Im assuming they are different
Yes, please tell us Jeep_junkie ,where can you get these spacers ?????
Old 06-26-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK now I'm confused Are you worried about the shocks bottoming out or the tires hitting your fender well?
Old 06-26-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Yes, please tell us Jeep_junkie ,where can you get these spacers ?????
The link I posted earlier shows different styles of coil spring isolators. I had the same problem earlier and I was going to use style A as a spacer between the stock plastic cup and lower spring mount, but I eventually chose a different route that is somewhat more involved.

Adding a spacer between the spring and shock will reduce the likelihood of the shock bottoming out as well as the wheel hitting the wheel well. On the other hand, adding a spacer between the lower A-arm and shock will only reduce the chances the of the wheel hitting the wheel well.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright I may be a little confused here my self

I definitly know that the wheels are smacking the wheel wells, and on potholes or drops im pretty sure they are smacking the bump stops.

By them smacking the bump stops aren't they bottoming out the shock. Whatever it is it sounds really loud and bad. Maybe you can help me. Either way the wheel is smacking the well and its way to hard.

edit: i think i may try the bmr spacers and see if they help and if they dont take the other route. Esp considering they are alot easier to install (dont have to take the spring off the shock). Im pretty sure i could do the bmr spacers by myself so if they dont work i will prolly end up taking it somewhere to have the other spacers installed because my tools are limited.

Last edited by Lt14mla; 06-26-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:56 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The SA002 will raise the car up 1/2" and should eliminate the tire hitting the wheel well. Its very hard to tell without actually seeing the car but if you know that the tires are hitting you need to correct that problem before it ruins your fenders or causes you to have an accident. Giove me a call if you have any questions.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-26-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

The link I posted earlier shows different styles of coil spring isolators. I had the same problem earlier and I was going to use style A as a spacer between the stock plastic cup and lower spring mount, but I eventually chose a different route that is somewhat more involved.

Adding a spacer between the spring and shock will reduce the likelihood of the shock bottoming out as well as the wheel hitting the wheel well. On the other hand, adding a spacer between the lower A-arm and shock will only reduce the chances the of the wheel hitting the wheel well.
First sigh of old age I guess!...lol! I did'nt even see it before...lol....Thanks!
Old 06-26-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the help guys!

Ill let you know how the bmr spacers work out, and what i end up doing.

Quick Reply: Front spring spacers