Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how long do brake pads last

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how long do brake pads last

i have had some that i got from autozone on my car for it seems like 20k miles or so, don't really know. by looking at them i can't tell much with the tires on, but by feeling them they seem aiight. they dust very minimally but i need new rotors and was thinking about just doing the rotors now and the pads later on since these may last a little longer. i'm torn on what type of pad because everyone has a different opinion on what "dusting" is, so i don't want to get anything just yet. so that's why i'm curious about how many miles they will last usually, and if i have another 10k out of em, i'll just replace the rotors now...
Old 06-24-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you don't mind cleaning your wheels every once in a while, don't worry about dusting.
Get brembo blanks for rotors, they're the best. Unless you like the look of slotted/drilled, though both are useless and damage your pads/reduce your braking ability and brake life.

Ceramic pads help tonns, and they're smoother when you want smooth and grip better when you reallllly need to stop.

I've heard plenty of good things about Hawk Performance pads, but I personally prefer autozone's own, Duralast Gold ceramic pads. lol.

Regular pads on a regular car last 40-80k. if you brake hard from high speeds occasionally, maybe 15-30k.

Depending on what's wrong with your rotors, it will usually be a good idea to get new pads whenever you replace your rotors. Any stress cracks in the rotors cause stress fractures in the pads... warped rotors lead to inconsistent wear patterns and inconsistent densities in brake pads, which causes excess heat, which will cause more brake pad problems, and likely warp your new rotors as well.

PM me if you need some more info.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have slotted and drilled rotors and hawk hps pads on all 4 corners and i believe i have had them on for at least 30k and i still have ALOT of meat left on them. I have also not experienced any loss in braking effeciency and pad life has not been affected. And i dont baby my car around either, im usually driving fairly aggressivly.

Quick Reply: how long do brake pads last