Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear Keeps Bottoming Out, need some suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear Keeps Bottoming Out, need some suggestions

Well, my car is half a foot off the ground w/ stock wheels and some drag radials on the back (not huge ones). The rear tires bottom out and it the wheelwell pretty easily, alot of the time. Here's my setup:

-Autofab coil over system with QA1 adjustable shocks
-BMR tublar K member
-The car is lowered (not sure what kit)
-HPA sub frame connectors
-BMR strut tower brace
-Lower control arms and relocating brackets

Anything i can change to keep the back a little more stiff or something? I don't drive it too much yet so its not a big concern. My fear is, at some point I might be going "A LITTLE FAST" and hit a decent sized bump or pothole, and I don't wanna imagine the rest.

Also, when I brake kinda hard this click kind of noise comes from the front, under the engine/my feet area. Doesn't sound horrible but noticeable. I need my urethane components greased, so idk

Thanks everyone
Old 06-24-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like you are hitting the bump stops in the rear. You may want to consider an adjustable pan hard bar to recenter the rear. You may also want to consider running Z28 bump stops.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are all of your shocks coil-over adjustables? Stiffer rear shocks or settings, higher coil rate rear springs of the same hieght or taller ones with an higher ride hieght. That's all you can do to reduce bottoming out. The Guz gave good advice with the adjustable panhard if you're actually experiencing tire rub on the side(s) instead of bump stop contact, and if it is contact the shorter stops will make contact less likely but harsher when it does. You could rub chalk on the inner fenders and the axles where the bump stops meet and then go hit something that causes the bottoming out. Then check where it's hitting. Any rubber with chalk on it, tires or stops, will tell you where your problem is.

Vernon
Old 06-24-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Un-Lower it.
Stiffer Springs.
Slower bound rear shocks.
Smaller tires.
Cut out the wheel wells. (Also works as weight reduction. )
Old 06-24-2008, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the low look of the car, and I really don't have the money to buy all new suspension components like axis suggested. Would putting in some stiffer shocks solve the problem? I wouldn't even know what kind of shocks to get, lol. I don't know whether or not its hitting these "bump stops" you guys are talking about. It makes this loud almost clicking and bang sound when it hits.

Oh yeah, if my shocks are "adjustable" can I adjust its stiffness, i suppose? how would I go about doing this.

Quick Reply: Rear Keeps Bottoming Out, need some suggestions