Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

suspension needs help - where do I go from here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension needs help - where do I go from here?

Can someone recommend an upgrade path for me... Mainly for lapping days/HPDE's and autocross, though I will occasionally go drag racing. I've had the car to two lapping days now and feel that it's just too squirrelly when pushed to the limits, and it doesn't transition well, there's a ton of brake dive, and my car looks like a 4x4 when compared to most other cars out there. I know it's probably the springs and shocks mostly but maybe someone can tell me where my meager amounts of upgrade money would best be spent...

Car: 98 Z28, T-Tops, 6 speed, stock 16" wheels, Ventus HR all season tires, 99000 miles on the car, with some winter driving by previous owner(s) so there is corrosion on many key suspension parts (like the panhard bar)

Current mods:
Strano 35mm hollow front bar
March underdrive pulley
OEM PS cooler
OEM Hurst shifter
Bilstein HD shocks
Hawk HP+ front pads, Autozone ceramic rear pads, cheapo blank rotors
ATE Super blue brake fluid

I was thinking of replacing the panhard and the rear lower control arms and maybe putting new bushings on the front control arms to start, but I'm totally open to suggestions.

As a final note, the car does not shift well (sometimes not at all) when the engine is revved beyond 5000 rpms. Could the drill mod help this or is this a sign of worn synchro's?
Old 06-29-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Strano rear bar(will balance out the front bar)
Koni shocks (fix the squirrelly-ness assuming everything is in normal working order)
Old 06-29-2008, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would do just what jd_amg said

Quick Reply: suspension needs help - where do I go from here?