Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

25mm and 35 mm, big difference?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 25mm and 35 mm, big difference?

Is there a large difference between those sizes for a sway bar?

And what's a good size (stiff but won't make the ride uncomfortable) for a strut bar?

Searched and read stickies, couldn't find what I was looking for.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Well... 35mm and 25mm swaybars are obviously a huge difference, but there only exist 35mm front bars and 25mm rear bars. But I'll try to sum it up what you will probably find in a search.

A bigger bar is going to be stiffer, even by 2-3mm difference. There are 30mm, 32mm, and 35mm bars out there for the front. 19, 21, 22, and 25, and bigger for the rear. An immensely popular balance is a 35mm front and 21-22mm rear. Another good balance is a 32mm front and stock rear bar. 25mm rear bars are too stiff and will be poor for handling. 25mm rear bars would be good to prevent car/driveline/axle twist during drag launches though.

A STB for our 4th gen cars does pretty much nothing for handling. Other than if for some reason your cars chassis is really bad, it will be useless. It can't hurt, but its not the first thing people who race their cars spring for. For other cars, the STB can help a lot. I've heard it helps on a 3rd gen.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The handling of a 25mm bar is not as stiff as you'd think. I have a 25 mm bar on back and my handling has become quite predictable, even at really good speeds. Matched up to decent shocks (not the crappo deCarbon stockers), you should notice a definite improvement in handling.

The 35mm bar is a mixed bag though, it really hurts the drag launch but makes the front feel very tight and cuts the body roll down significantly. If anything I'd probably recommend the WS6/1Le 32 mm or 35 mm hollow as solid 35 is just too much sway bar.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The 25mm in the rear for handling can be to much... I would recommend a 22mm rear and a 35mm front.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SladeX
The handling of a 25mm bar is not as stiff as you'd think. I have a 25 mm bar on back and my handling has become quite predictable, even at really good speeds. Matched up to decent shocks (not the crappo deCarbon stockers), you should notice a definite improvement in handling.

The 35mm bar is a mixed bag though, it really hurts the drag launch but makes the front feel very tight and cuts the body roll down significantly. If anything I'd probably recommend the WS6/1Le 32 mm or 35 mm hollow as solid 35 is just too much sway bar.
Your a drag racer though. It's a good bar for you. Driving on the street isn't really a good way to test how well a 25mm rear bar handles. It's all about the balance. Some people might like a 25mm rear, but I think most people who autox and road race stay away from it.

Quick Reply: 25mm and 35 mm, big difference?