Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Prothane Motor & Tranny Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prothane Motor & Tranny Mounts

Putting that kit in will it screw up my car? 2000 Camaro SS M6..
Old 07-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Banned

dont do the tranny mount. too much vibrations.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cookba
dont do the tranny mount. too much vibrations.

Although the OP said Prothane, I put the Energy Suspension poly engine mounts and tranny mounts in my Z-28. Once I took out the "preload plate", as a few here recommended, and I got the pinion angle adjusted correctly, I have no noticeable vibration.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

well i think my engine mount is fed up... the stick in my M6 goes up when reving... and it my ORY hits so hard on the bottom..
Old 07-07-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the poly motor mounts but the stock tranny mount (if it is broken get an oem replacement)
Old 07-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

so if i replace those will i feel a difference?
Old 07-08-2008, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by onebadredss
Putting that kit in will it screw up my car? 2000 Camaro SS M6..
It got rid of all my vibrations and it shifts alot smoother now. Do it.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Teching In

My car is lowered about 1.5", and I had vibration at 60+ mph with the stock mounts. After installing the Energy tranny mount (with the plate), the vibration seems to have gone away. Plus my shifter isn't bouncing all over the place anymore
Old 07-08-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have Prothane motor mounts and the ES tranny mount in my '02/M6, and virtually NO excess vibrations .

I previously ran with JUST the ES tranny mount, and it was enough to drive me crazy! However, with the poly motor mounts now, it's great ... actually, I find the car very smooth now! (the only thing loud/bothersome is simply the exhaust ... leaks )
Old 07-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Restricted User

I have prothane motor and tranny mts and I'm happy with both of them. PITFA to install tho!
Old 07-08-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the motor mounts are more than worth the money. However be prepared to say a few cuss words getting them installed.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

From my experience, the ES motor mounts were a "good out of the box" upgrade.

AFA tranny mounts, I can say that in order to make the ES work, I first removed the preload plate and still had significant NVH, so I went a bit further and shaved off the "rectangular" bumps (over several installation intervals in ensure that it didn't allow too much space). When I was done, there was practically no more NVH, with exception of the aftermarket Hurst (personally, once the Hurst was well broken in, shifts were became "notchy", shorter, and much more consistent and precise).

I should also note that my TA was an LG G2 with the spherical bearing in it, which was installed after the modification and didn't add much more perceptible NVH.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
From my experience, the ES motor mounts were a "good out of the box" upgrade.

AFA tranny mounts, I can say that in order to make the ES work, I first removed the preload plate and still had significant NVH, so I went a bit further and shaved off the "rectangular" bumps (over several installation intervals in ensure that it didn't allow too much space). When I was done, there was practically no more NVH, with exception of the aftermarket Hurst (personally, once the Hurst was well broken in, shifts were became "notchy", shorter, and much more consistent and precise).

That's pretty much what I did, except I have an automatic tranny, and a Random Technology torque arm. I'm happy.....
Old 07-09-2008, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Me too, RT torque arm and shaved the bumps off the tranny mount when I installed it, no plate. Added poly motor mounts later and love the combo.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

I have the Prothane tranny mount and I know some people say a poly mount causes too much vibration, but I didn't notice anything when I put mine in
Old 07-09-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nighthawk15
I have the Prothane tranny mount and I know some people say a poly mount causes too much vibration, but I didn't notice anything when I put mine in
Yep, that was my friends' same experience with Prothanes as well. FWIW, the chemical composition of polyurethane combined with being manufactured with a higher durometer will tend to allow more NVH, however the way both ES and Prothane are designed with the internal retention stud could add too it as well (though there's mostly lots of poly surrounding it, it's highly unlikely).

I tend to think that the ES's have this problem due to their stock height since that can change forward pinion angle (just a guess because I didn't attach an angle finder, which would've helped to confirm if it's fact). I could be dropping the ball on this, but since leadfoot, Viper, and several others have shaved down their ES and those who've installed stock Prothanes tend to have similar results with minimal NVH, that's my half-**** educated guess at this point.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Foxxtron, it's a little late for me to do a side-by-side comparison, now that I shaved my mount. However, I think that the ES part, with the pre-load plate in place, is actually a little "taller" than the OE unit. So, yes, it would change the driveshaft angle, if installed "as-is", therefore probably affecting the pinion angle, possibly inducing vibration, although not because of the harder material.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the ES tranny mount on my 94 lt1 and it did virbrate at first, but once it got broke in it was great!

Now I got different LS1 cars. Put the ES poly TQ mount and it made ZERO difference in shaking etc, but makes the car feel soild more.

On the other one I got Prothane Motor Mounts I got a big cam so it might be harder to tell vibes, BUT the shifter is 200% more firm and feels that much better than it did before the shfiter dont' sit there and shake like it once did and the engine does not shake side to side. I think there one of the best bang for buck mods out there.

I'm putting a ES mount on the car with the poly TQ arm mount this week and we will see how that goes.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have a poly trans mount and i feel every vibration through my car shifter now.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got my ES mount on. Shaved the bumps didn't use the backing plate and it works great and dont' get any vibes up on the a4 shifter so i'm happy. Good luck