Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Unofficial KYB AGX Thread (again)

Old 10-14-2008, 12:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
How long do you think the shocks will last with stranos as a 100% DD?
Can't say. Might be 10 years, might be 2 months. The point is AGX's are the weak link, it's not the springs running on them that will cause them to fail.

Not long ago there was a post here by someone who had his shocks 2 months and broke one (and wasn't warrantied). I don't recall what springs, but they weren't mine. How about the fact I've *twice* seen a rear shock eyelet break off AGX's (and again those were posted here with pics). That's nothing to do with the springs.

If the shock is going to break, it's going to break irrespective of the springs in use as long as the springs aren't doing something to provoke it, like being way too low or soft.

I'd love to tell you that you'll get years and years of good service from the AGX's. I can't do that, it's a chance you take with the bargain basement pricing. If they last, great. If they break (one, two--whatever) and aren't warrantied you end up spending more money anyway.

Quality wise the Bilstein's are way better in that price range. The AGX's have more damping control, but aren't build nearly as well. Neither is "right" to my tastes, but what is costs much more. So like anything you spend money on you have to weigh the pros vs. cons and make a decision based on that.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-14-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have slp firehawk springs in my 99 ta with kyb agx .No complaints car handles awesome with mods in the sig.
I have hotchkis springs and kyb agx on my 96z. I have not added sway bars to the z yet but no complaints either. I don't do autocross though but do drive my cars hard.The kyb seem decent for casual track use. You can get a decent street ride out of them and you can dial them up for pretty good handling. If you are a hardcore autocross guy then there might be better combos.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm not saying AGX's aren't an option. They most certainly are, and I would not sell them if I felt they were completely worthless.

That said, folks tend to have a limited view on what's good and what's not, and it's based on what they'd experienced. Find someone who's gotten to drive AGX's and Koni's both, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who'd go back to AGX's unless money dictated they had to. There is a difference.

I agree that AGX's can often be made to ride well enough... but it usually involved turning them down which also means you have to give up the damping most of us are after. I don't want an either/or shock. I want want something that can give me the damping I want while also not shattering the ride. AGX's are more one or the other. Koni's can give you more of both at the same time. Bilstein's ride pretty well, but don't have the damping I'd want.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought agx's to go with my b&g springs a couple of years ago. I bottomed the rears out on my first drive around the block when I hit a slight pot hole (about 1 inch deep going 30mph). I suffered through them for a year of which I drove 20k miles back and forth to college. After a year I called sam and got the 3rd gen koni's for the rear. It was like night and day. The koni's live up to the hype. I still have the agx's on the front and they still suck, but there tolerable for daily driving until I can get clearance from my wife to get koni's. However, if you're going to lower your car a good bit DO NOT get agx's for the rear, you will regret it. I've had both, that's why I'm offering my opinion.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Teching In

i just recently picked up a set of AGX's for the front and rear BNIB and they came with a set of used lg motor sports springs for the front and rear. i was told that they werent used too long and should work well on the car, what do you guys think? ive been debating on selling them or throwing them on, i cant decide haha. Will the springs work well with the AGX's and how is the ride quality? what setting also?

thanks
Old 10-18-2010, 10:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Sure you were told they'd work well on the car....... And yet the came off someone's car (likely because that's not a good combination). You can't get worse than a poor shock on a very stiff (LG's are in the rear) and short travel.

You have 4 choices. Try what you have (not particularly good). Change springs to something the AGX's have a better chance of damping (still doesn't make the shocks great, but would be better riding and handling). Change shocks to the Koni's which are the only think that can really control that set of springs well. Or just go with a better combination of springs and shocks.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Teching In

if its not good for the shocks, how long do you think they would last? i just want to get the most life out of the shocks.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I've seen AGX's break in as little as 4 weeks---with springs less stiff than those (and not always in a way the springs have anything to do with.

If you want durability, then AGX's are definitely not the choice in/around $400--SLP Bilstein's are.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Teching In

im not sure if i wanna risk installing them and having them break. they are brand new in the packaging though so they could be resold idk for how much tho.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Launching!

I've been running AGX's on my car with Strano springs for 2 years and haven't had a problem at all, and the car rides outstanding. I really believe that they are a nice alternative to spending the big money on the other stuff, although I know the Bilsteins are good stuff too.

I finally got a good deal on some slightly used Koni's, so I'll be swapping to them soon
Old 10-19-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Sure you were told they'd work well on the car....... And yet the came off someone's car (likely because that's not a good combination). You can't get worse than a poor shock on a very stiff (LG's are in the rear) and short travel.

You have 4 choices. Try what you have (not particularly good). Change springs to something the AGX's have a better chance of damping (still doesn't make the shocks great, but would be better riding and handling). Change shocks to the Koni's which are the only think that can really control that set of springs well. Or just go with a better combination of springs and shocks.
Just as used Konis came from other people's car.

Another happy customer of AGX shocks with BMR springs. Would do it all over again.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 double S's
im not sure if i wanna risk installing them and having them break. they are brand new in the packaging though so they could be resold idk for how much tho.
You got them, might as well use them. Get to your own conclusions about them.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chaman
You got them, might as well use them. Get to your own conclusions about them.
i think im going to go ahead and do that .
i may stay with the stock springs in the back to give it a hard stance haha.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:25 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I desperately need new shocks for my 95. They are closing in on 171k miles and I am getting brutalized driving down the road. Every little dip or crack in the road seems to just beat the car. I feel like I'm bouncing all over the place.

These seem like the budget way to go, buy how many people would spend the extra $60 for a set of SLP Bilsteins? You obviously get the OEM quality shock versus a questionable durability. Thoughts?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I carry both, and as I've said many, many times before in this thread and others the Bilstein's are, in my opinion, as both someone picky in damping and who sells parts and has to deal with unhappy folks, the better choice overall.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I currently own a 1998 1le car with the stock adjustable shocks. Rears are very very harsh on bumps. Im thinking about swapping them out for the agx's. Car is daily driven, but also sees alot of dig racing. What are some settings i should have for normal driving if i want it to handle decent? What settings for dig/ drag racing. Btw stock springs amd 275/40/17's on all 4 corners. Sorry for ressurecting a super old thread
Old 10-27-2015, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Camaro btw lol
Old 10-28-2015, 05:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pozesd99'
I currently own a 1998 1le car with the stock adjustable shocks. Rears are very very harsh on bumps. Im thinking about swapping them out for the agx's. Car is daily driven, but also sees alot of dig racing. What are some settings i should have for normal driving if i want it to handle decent? What settings for dig/ drag racing. Btw stock springs amd 275/40/17's on all 4 corners. Sorry for ressurecting a super old thread
Have you tried adjusting the shocks first?
What are your tire pressure's at?
Old 10-28-2015, 12:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'd also find it important to know what the Koni's are set @. AGX's are not as good as the Koni's in any way, unless the Koni's are busted (not likely but could happen).

Old 10-28-2015, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Car sat for 3 years in the arizona sun. All the shock mounts bushings are cracked and busted. This is why i want to change them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Unofficial KYB AGX Thread (again)