Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Adjusting Koni Rebound - Pics Inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 12:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe a dumb question but why is there 2 nut on the top of the 4th gen rear shock?
Old 02-06-2009, 01:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

You use the top(thinner)nut as a jam-nut.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by some_punk
Maybe a dumb question but why is there 2 nut on the top of the 4th gen rear shock?
You don't just crank the mounting nut to a certain torque or until it's tight. You want to tighten it until the rubber bushings bulge out to the same diameter as the washer. Then use the other nut to hold it in place. Like a jam nut.

The factory shock has a nylon insert to keep it from loosening but they are a pain to thread on the shaft, plus the added resistance can sometimes cause the shaft to turn with it.

The jamnut method is easier and better in my opinion. I'm also pretty sure the nuts are the same size.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Wow, you really tighten them all the way down until that rubber bushing is the same width as the washer? Haha, This would explain why I'm having such a B**CH of a time on bump when I hear BAM in the rear end like it's loose as crap. Seems to be much worse when extra people are in the car. I'll check on that and get back to you.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Teching In

I also have the top part (the adjuster) all the way tight. I might be able to back that off a little bit now if I can get it to stop sounding so loose when I hit bumps. What exactly does the adjuster, adjust? What type of things am I looking for when I drive to know if I should tighten or loosen? Thanks guys.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by upincomin
I also have the top part (the adjuster) all the way tight. I might be able to back that off a little bit now if I can get it to stop sounding so loose when I hit bumps. What exactly does the adjuster, adjust? What type of things am I looking for when I drive to know if I should tighten or loosen? Thanks guys.
The adjuster controls the low speed rebound. How fast the wheel drops. If you adjust it too firm you can get jacking. That's where if you drive over several bumps in a row, the wheel moves up, but does not come back down to it's normal position before the next bump pushes it up again. The rear wheel runs out of room to go up and your basically riding on the bumpstop. Rough ride indeed.

Try turning both rear shocks to full soft. You will notice the back end of the car leans a little more when you turn the front wheels quickly, but it will ride much smoother. If you want to slow down the rear lean, such as in a slolom or to slide the back end out, then adjust it a bit firmer.

Most folks run the rears full soft or almost full soft.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:44 AM
Teching In

Hey man, thanks for that, I'll work on that tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:00 AM
Teching In

Ok, they are all the way left (soft/loose). Still making the noise. My next guess is that there are spacers under the bump stops, Why? I dunno, is there any reason for those to be there? Or should I just remove the spacer part?
Old 02-20-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, they are all the way left (soft/loose). Still making the noise. My next guess is that there are spacers under the bump stops, Why? I dunno, is there any reason for those to be there? Or should I just remove the spacer part?
They are there to reduce suspension travel. You can toss the spacers in the trash.

As far as your noise, do you only hear it when you hit a bump? Did you add subframe connectors or aftermarket LCA's?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Yes, problem only seems to happen when I hit a bump. I have subframe connectors and aftermarket LCA's. It never made this noise before and I haven't changed anything so I don't quite know what it could be. I'll try taking off those spacers and see if it gives it enough room.

Originally Posted by JasonWW
They are there to reduce suspension travel. You can toss the spacers in the trash.

As far as your noise, do you only hear it when you hit a bump? Did you add subframe connectors or aftermarket LCA's?
Old 02-21-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

What's probably happening is that the lca bolt is not tight enough. On the sfc's that add tabs to that front mount, it makes that bolt hard to tighten enough to hold the inner steel arm bushing. Under acceleration it pushes the bolt forward and when you hit a bump it pushes that bolt backward. Over time it will elongate the hole. Plus it makes that popping sound.

Try loosening that front bolt and see if the arm is a snug fit. If not, you can push the tabs closer with a hammer blow. Another way would be to add a thin washer in there to make the fit tight. Then really crank the bolt tight. That will usually fix it.

Last edited by JasonWW; 02-21-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:03 AM
Teching In

Are you talking about bolt-on SFC's? Cuz mine are weld-ons. I'll check the LCA bolts tomorrow when I put it up on the rack though. Thanks for giving me something else to think about.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Are you talking about bolt-on SFC's? Cuz mine are weld-ons.
Both.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:35 AM
On The Tree

I'm confused... I started adjusting my front shock firmness - and I kept rotating the adjuster with the allen wrench hoping I would eventually hit a "stop" point - but it seemed to continue rotating forever. It just kept going and going and going... Is it supposed to eventually hit one or the other end and stop? Or what am I doing wrong??
Old 04-16-2009, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is great.. I always wondered how to adjust these properly.. Thanks! Now I just have to decide if I want to play with it..
Old 04-16-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by flymybird
I'm confused... I started adjusting my front shock firmness - and I kept rotating the adjuster with the allen wrench hoping I would eventually hit a "stop" point - but it seemed to continue rotating forever. It just kept going and going and going... Is it supposed to eventually hit one or the other end and stop? Or what am I doing wrong??
There are 9 sweeps of the adjuster. Each sweep is 1/4 of a turn. If yours keeps turning beyond that, then something may be wrong. How much tension do you feel when you turn it?

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-17-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Like I said on post 1, there are 9 sweeps of the adjuster. Each sweep is 1/4 of a turn. If yours keeps turning beyond that, then something may be wrong. How much tension do you feel when you turn it?
I got it. Thanks for the response. I had a vague idea of how much I was supposed to be turning it and probably thought I went too far, but when I installed them yesterday I realized I was only a couple sweeps from the stop.
Old 09-18-2023, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry for the thread bump, but this seems like the best place to ask this.

I bought my Koni SAs used, and they did not include an adjuster **** for the rears. I've done a bit of research and discovered that Koni made two different kinds of ***** -- one with a "neck" that sticks out from the bottom, and one with a flat bottom. I've not been successful in finding a single photo of a Koni **** that shows the bottom, so I'm only going by descriptions I've found. It's unclear to me why there are two designs, or whether it matters which I use -- but I was hoping someone who has the original **** that came with the Koni set could look at theirs and tell me whether there's anything protruding from the bottom of the ****? Once I have that information, I'll order one from eBay.

The diagram in post #10 makes me think I want the one with the neck, but I don't know if that's a generic diagram from Koni or an accurate depiction of the specific setup for ours cars.

Thanks!

EDIT: I also reached out to Koni via their website. Got a response after just a few minutes! They said I want the flat-bottom *****.

Last edited by JakeRobb; 09-18-2023 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Adjusting Koni Rebound - Pics Inside