Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What look for when diagnosing poly and heim joints for wear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003 | 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default What look for when diagnosing poly and heim joints for wear?

I'm gonna pull my LG LCAs with poly/heim and check them for wear. I think they're the culprit for my noise. What things should I notice/check, etc to determine if they need to be updated.
Old 08-22-2003 | 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: What look for when diagnosing poly and heim joints for wear?

Levi,

Look for wear on the poly end by verifying that the bushing is still solid and the inner sleeve still fits snugly in the bushing. If there are signs of the inner steel sleeve wearing the poly bushing, that is a sign of "cold flow" of the poly or a wearing of the material (the twisting of the rear end will "dent" the poly bushing, otherwise known as "cold flow"....like hitting lead with a hammer).

The heim joints should be reasonably snug in the teflon liners. If you can grab them and "rattle" the ball in the joint, that is a sign that it is time to replace them. Or, if the teflon liners are missing or hanging out of the sides of the joint, those are signs of wear as well. Basically, the joint should be tight, and the liner material should be where it belongs (in the joint), if it is excessively loose (or rattles), it is likley time for new ones.

Just my thoughts.
Old 08-22-2003 | 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: What look for when diagnosing poly and heim joints for wear?

Perfect, exactly the response I needed!

Quick Reply: What look for when diagnosing poly and heim joints for wear?