Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

bushing replacement, now steering wheel is cockeyed, WTH?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 07:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bushing replacement, now steering wheel is cockeyed, WTH?

So, I bought all Moog replacement parts for the entire front end. Turned my car into a local shop to have them install them, then have an alignment done.

Well, the car feels great, almost new, again. However, the tech/mech says that since the steering box is 10 years old, it has some play in it which won't allow him to put the steering wheel exactly dead center.

What does anyone here now about this.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

What's he using for the whole alignment job? Is he adjusting the toe properly?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Find somebody better to do your alignments! Was your wheel centered BEFORE he touched it? Secondly, your car has a "steering rack", not a steering box. Tell him that.

Unless you removed the tie rods during your overhaul, and got them threaded back on very unevenly (one side threaded on MANY turns more than the other), you shouldn't have any problems centering the wheel. My Z-28 is 13 years old, and the wheel is dead nuts on center.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh yes, just caught that "steering box" part, but anyhow, he's probably screwed on doing alignments like leadfoot4 has stated.

Not to be a *****, but there has been a rash of shops screwing up alignments when I was in California. The silly thing is that many of these shops are really screwed up on those alignment machines, which pretty much guide people step by step, unless they're using something other than a Hunter machine. Other than toe, they constantly screw up caster and camber, and that's way easier than toe, which toe isn't really that difficult.

Just my .02 cents.