Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI LCAs are NOISY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008 | 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JScamaro
I have the same UMI control arms you are speaking of. As of today mine are not noisy as you are speaking.

After driving with them on for a while you can barely even tell a difference.
Have you tried the poly/rod setup yet to hear how much louder it gets, or did it not change as compared to stock?
Old 07-16-2008 | 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Installed UMI poly/poly PHB and LCA'S with zero noise. UMI makes EXECELENT products and EASY TO FOLLOW instructions. It must be user error...
Old 07-16-2008 | 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

what do you guys mean by loud? road and rear end noise, squeeky, or clunky? cause i have all except the squeeky. i expected the road and rear noise, but the clunking is killing me.
Old 07-18-2008 | 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by prince xizor
Have you tried the poly/rod setup yet to hear how much louder it gets, or did it not change as compared to stock?
Mine are the poly/rod. After I got used to the new parts you really can't tell much difference from stock.
Old 07-18-2008 | 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Ive got the same problem, put about 10,000 trouble free miles on mine and now they are squeking like there is no tomorrow. Ive greased them every 3000 miles with my oil changes (making sure not to over grease, like the directions say). Ive tightened and loosened the mounting bolt (with the suspension loaded) and they still squek, im going to pull them off tonight and clean/regrease everything... hopefully that works, the noise is driving me crazy.

what kind of grease doesn UMI sell? do you just spray it on like WD-40?

edit: mine are also poly/rod end
Old 07-18-2008 | 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Just replaced my poly spohn phb with a umi rodded unit. I have no bushing noise now I also lubed my end links. So it was either coming from the phb or the endlink. Love my UMI parts!
Old 08-21-2008 | 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

Will the UMI Poly/Poly be quieter than the Poly/Rod? Driving over the gravel road and hearing the constant rattling is getting annoying.
Old 08-21-2008 | 01:53 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by prince xizor
Will the UMI Poly/Poly be quieter than the Poly/Rod? Driving over the gravel road and hearing the constant rattling is getting annoying.
Yes, but at the expense of binding during cornering. I've gone back and forth more times than you can imagine with LCAs...now that my car is no longer a daily driver, I can put up with the little extra noise from the poly/rod combo since the suspension feels so much better IMO.
Old 08-21-2008 | 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Yes, but at the expense of binding during cornering. I've gone back and forth more times than you can imagine with LCAs...now that my car is no longer a daily driver, I can put up with the little extra noise from the poly/rod combo since the suspension feels so much better IMO.
But is the binding from the poly/poly any worse than what the stock setup had?
Old 08-21-2008 | 04:53 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Yes...the stock rubber could twist. Polyurethane will not allow that kind of movement, and therein lies the problem.
Old 08-21-2008 | 04:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by crazylane
Mine are the same way.... Drives me nuts. Espically going over speed bumps or something.

Mine is Poly/SFC, sperical/relocation bracket.

But they do feel solid....
same here with mine
Old 08-22-2008 | 02:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Actually my best recommendation is to use the stock arms with the solid moog bushings. It will allow the proper articulation required and has a much lower deflection than the stock star style rubber bushings. The other option is to get some J&M 3 piece poly LCA's. I believe LMPerformance carries them. The easiest way to explain them is that they are a Poly version of a rod end. I'll see if I can find the torque comparison for articulation of the solid poly and the 3 piece J&M's that one of the guys from frrax did and post it up.

*EDIT*
Found it. Trackbird did this by the way.

Poly-Ball Bushings

5 degrees of total rotation = 26.1 foot/pounds of torque
7.5 degrees of total rotation = 35.8 foot/pounds of torque
10 degrees of total rotation = 41.7 foot/pounds of torque

Standard 2 piece setup using only a 85 durometer bushings

5 degrees of total rotation = 124.7 foot/pounds of torque
7.5 degrees of total rotation = 156.4 foot/pounds of torque
10 degrees of total rotation = not measurable with fixture. 1/2" grade 8 bolt twisted in half at 9.2 degrees which was 210 foot/pounds of torque.

Last edited by tpunk; 08-22-2008 at 02:37 AM.
Old 08-22-2008 | 05:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tpunk
Actually my best recommendation is to use the stock arms with the solid moog bushings. It will allow the proper articulation required and has a much lower deflection than the stock star style rubber bushings. The other option is to get some J&M 3 piece poly LCA's. I believe LMPerformance carries them. The easiest way to explain them is that they are a Poly version of a rod end. I'll see if I can find the torque comparison for articulation of the solid poly and the 3 piece J&M's that one of the guys from frrax did and post it up.

*EDIT*

Poly-Ball Bushings

10 degrees of total rotation = not measurable with fixture. 1/2" grade 8 bolt twisted in half at 9.2 degrees which was 210 foot/pounds of torque.
I agree with what's stated above. What I'd really like to see is for J&M to make some of their "poly-ball" ends for replacement on stock arms and/or a replacement threaded bushing for "rod-end replacement" (similar to something like the modified Howe racing rubber bushing).
Old 08-22-2008 | 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
I agree with what's stated above. What I'd really like to see is for J&M to make some of their "poly-ball" ends for replacement on stock arms and/or a replacement threaded bushing for "rod-end replacement" (similar to something like the modified Howe racing rubber bushing).
I have thought a threaded poly ball would be an extremely nice option as well. I'm not quite sure why they haven't tried that yet. Assembling those bushings is a piece of cake too, so I could see stock replacements being a nice option for those who don't want moogs for some reason. I'll still stick with my moogs though, they just work perfectly for me.
Old 08-22-2008 | 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tpunk

*EDIT*

Poly-Ball Bushings

I was going UMI lca's untill I found J&M lca's with the ploy ball bushing + no lube required after install and have absolutley no squeaks or rattles.
I have gone UMI on everything else though with complete satisfation.
Here's a pic or 2

Great Product
Old 08-22-2008 | 03:54 PM
Launching!

The J&M arms are quality, they were first set of LCA's. They made no noise whatsoever, but they weren't adjustable. With my relocation brackets, they wheels were too far back. I now have UMI poly/rod arms and they rattle over gravel, I've torqued them to 90 ft lbs, but I guess I'll have tighten em more.
Old 08-22-2008 | 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 68z28
The J&M arms are quality, they were first set of LCA's. They made no noise whatsoever, but they weren't adjustable. With my relocation brackets, they wheels were too far back. I now have UMI poly/rod arms and they rattle over gravel, I've torqued them to 90 ft lbs, but I guess I'll have tighten em more.
There is a threaded rubber end you can replace the rod end with. I'm can't remember the web site they are at or else I would PM it to you. That would be the only option I can think of if you need adjustability and want it to quiet down.
Old 08-24-2008 | 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

I'll gladly take them off of your hands if you want to sell them

Quick Reply: UMI LCAs are NOISY!!!