Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes still squeal after new pads??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes still squeal after new pads??

Okay, last Sunday I replaced the pads thinking my squealing was being emitted from the pads themselves. To no avail, the brakes once again started squealing the day after the installation(didn't drive it much that day). Every once in awhile(haven't paid attention if its happening when the brakes get warm), the brakes will start squealing again and will keep squealing every time I press brakes. This usually only goes away once I turns off the car to go somewhere and return to drive it again. Sometimes the squealing could come quicker than other times. The pads are Hawk ceramics and I applied the brake grease to the pads which came along with the brakes.

Any ideas what it could be? Rotors maybe?

Edit: The squealing sound seems to modulate in volume also, it could be loud one moment then quiet down a bit then loud again all during the same brake motion but its a pretty quick modulation.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any pulsation when brakes are applied?? ..as in WARPED rotors. Does it sound/feel like the pads are dragging ...as in hung caliper. Check for rust behind the rotors.....clean the hub with a wire brush if you find any... this can cause a rotor to run untrue alignment with the pads. Spray the rotors with brake clean real well....could be some greasy build up on them. Good luck finding the culprit.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You didn't say if you turned the rotors when installing the new pads. I was taught that you must always have the rotors turned or replaced when putting new pads on. This is so the pads have a good surface to brake in on. What i would do is take the pads back off and take the rotors to a shop that you trust and have them measure and cut the rotors. I dont know what tools you have, but I would use a small air 90 grinder with a scotch brite wheel on it and scuff up the pads again. Then remount.

Quick Reply: Brakes still squeal after new pads??