Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What pinion angle for UMI torque arm on Strano-lowered Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
"In theory", yes. However, I think that's it's likely the pinion angle will change as the car is lowered. Therefore, you would want to correct for that.
well Im in the same situation as the OP, I had my koni 4/4's and strano springs installed a few weeks ago and am now waiting in the TA to arrive. I was told, by Mr Strano, that if Im having no binding issues that the easiest thing to do would be measure the current pinion angle and duplicate that when I install my TA, either that or just go with Zero.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
In theory, If your car is as the OP said lowered on strano springs, but you dont have any binding couldnt you just measure the pinion angle with the stock piece and then tune the adjustable TA to mimic that?
Not my idea so I cant really take credit for it, but that should work fine.
No. Set it 1-2 degrees negative. It doesn't matter what the stock one is, unless you are using the stock one.

Something to add about the BMR video. The video says "rear end minus driveshaft angle", which is wrong. It should says rear end plus driveshaft angle.

Example: the video has +2 driveshaft and -5 rearend. So by their method it would be -5-2=-7. You don't want go off of that number. The correct math would be -5+2=-3.

Jon

Edit: to any one reading this, the BMR video math is wrong. It actually would be -7. This threads explains the correct way to set pinion angle:https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/974198-measuring-pinion-angle.html

Last edited by JonCR96Z; 08-25-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
No. Set it 1-2 degrees negative. It doesn't matter what the stock one is, unless you are using the stock one.

Something to add about the BMR video. The video says "rear end minus driveshaft angle", which is wrong. It should says rear end plus driveshaft angle.

Example: the video has +2 driveshaft and -5 rearend. So by their method it would be -5-2=-7. You don't want go off of that numbers. The correct math would be -5+2=-3.

Jon
I understand your confusion on the video. The best way to think of it is there is no positive and negative only numbers then as you pointed out the pinion angles work out properly.

Quick Reply: What pinion angle for UMI torque arm on Strano-lowered Z28?