Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

A few questions about Bilstein Shocks and BTS kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A few questions about Bilstein Shocks and BTS kit

1. Are the SLP Bilstein shocks the same shocks that come in the Bilstein Tuned Suspension Kit?

2. Is the BTS kit the optional SS handling package?

3. Are the springs in the BTS package made by Eibach AND are they factory ride height?

4. If you have these on yur car, do you like them, and where is the cheapest place to get them?
Old 07-31-2008, 08:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by CAMJAG
1. Are the SLP Bilstein shocks the same shocks that come in the Bilstein Tuned Suspension Kit?

2. Is the BTS kit the optional SS handling package?

3. Are the springs in the BTS package made by Eibach AND are they factory ride height?

4. If you have these on yur car, do you like them, and where is the cheapest place to get them?
1. No

2. No

3. No

4. I don't have them on my car. I sell them, when available--but don't really recommend them because the shocks aren't up to snuff, the springs aren't very good rates, and the combination just isn't what it could or should be. There are better options. Most are attracted to the price. But price reflects the parts, and the price is nice because the shocks are standard production stuff that's not meant for lowering springs (despite marketing that says otherwise). There is a long history of discussion about this, and you'll notice that most every other car there make things like BTS's for also have Sport shocks available--and Sports are the minimum for lowering springs, they don't make Sports for 4th gens.

Does that help?

BTW.... http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=18&ModelID=7 That way you know I sell this kit when Bilstein has shocks in stock (currently a problem). None the less, you can still do better. Way better with different parts and combinations of parts.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-31-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
1. No

2. No

3. No

4. I don't have them on my car. I sell them, when available--but don't really recommend them because the shocks aren't up to snuff, the springs aren't very good rates, and the combination just isn't what it could or should be. There are better options. Most are attracted to the price. But price reflects the parts, and the price is nice because the shocks are standard production stuff that's not meant for lowering springs (despite marketing that says otherwise). There is a long history of discussion about this, and you'll notice that most every other car there make things like BTS's for also have Sport shocks available--and Sports are the minimum for lowering springs, they don't make Sports for 4th gens.

Does that help?

BTW.... http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=18&ModelID=7 That way you know I sell this kit when Bilstein has shocks in stock (currently a problem). None the less, you can still do better. Way better with different parts and combinations of parts.
Honeslty, I am looking for a set of decent shocks and springs. I want to keep the factory ride height and have better then factory performance. I have looked on your web page, maybe you can set me up with something. My car (95 Z28 Convertible) is mostly daily driven, I dont do any road racing besides taking some corners on the street, and I do take my car to the 1/4 mile 1 or 2times a year.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

I have a friend with the BTS kit and he recently put the stock rear springs back in. From my understanding he didn't like the ride as much with the BTS rears.

I haven't ridden in his car, so I cant compare it to my stock springs with Konis.

Sam has the BTS listed for $659 and the Koni 4/3 setup for $770. If you're willing to spend that for the BTS, spend the extra and buy the Konis and use the stock springs (and lower front perch and heater hose mod in the rear if you want a slight drop).

You won't regret it. Even the dealership that did the alignment (they were the only ones around with the real nice Hunter machine) have complimented me on how well it rides on the highway. And this was coming from a dealer that works on quite a few Corvettes.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SGMZ28
I have a friend with the BTS kit and he recently put the stock rear springs back in. From my understanding he didn't like the ride as much with the BTS rears.

I haven't ridden in his car, so I cant compare it to my stock springs with Konis.

Sam has the BTS listed for $659 and the Koni 4/3 setup for $770. If you're willing to spend that for the BTS, spend the extra and buy the Konis and use the stock springs (and lower front perch and heater hose mod in the rear if you want a slight drop).

You won't regret it. Even the dealership that did the alignment (they were the only ones around with the real nice Hunter machine) have complimented me on how well it rides on the highway. And this was coming from a dealer that works on quite a few Corvettes.
How about the Koni 4/4? Whats the difference with the internally adjustable vs the externally adjustable rear?
Old 08-01-2008, 12:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

No problem on helping you out. Be happy to talk options. You aren't limited to only Koni's, but they are the real deal and the shocks are the thing the car is desperate need of. The fact you don't want to lower is just one more reason to look toward Koni's as you can put some of the "spring" money toward the better dampers.

The 4/3 vs. 4/4 thing comes down to cost vs. ease of adjustment and range of adjustment. I do 4/3's primarily to get those that are scraping to get to Koni's a cheaper alternative to the 4/4's. In exchange you have a rear shock you need to take off the car to adjust, and that has only 4 pre-sets and you need to be in one of the 4. The difference in force between each is pretty large. The 4/4's use a rear shock that adjusts in place on the car, and in mere seconds. It also has no detents, so you get a lot more "adjustment" range from them. Never a matter of saying to yourself "that one is too soft, that one is too stiff, but I have to pick one".

Make sense?
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 08-02-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
No problem on helping you out. Be happy to talk options. You aren't limited to only Koni's, but they are the real deal and the shocks are the thing the car is desperate need of. The fact you don't want to lower is just one more reason to look toward Koni's as you can put some of the "spring" money toward the better dampers.

The 4/3 vs. 4/4 thing comes down to cost vs. ease of adjustment and range of adjustment. I do 4/3's primarily to get those that are scraping to get to Koni's a cheaper alternative to the 4/4's. In exchange you have a rear shock you need to take off the car to adjust, and that has only 4 pre-sets and you need to be in one of the 4. The difference in force between each is pretty large. The 4/4's use a rear shock that adjusts in place on the car, and in mere seconds. It also has no detents, so you get a lot more "adjustment" range from them. Never a matter of saying to yourself "that one is too soft, that one is too stiff, but I have to pick one".

Make sense?
Yes it makes sense, thank you. I might just want to leave the springs alone and just get a set of KYB AGXs. Thinking about it more id rather put Konis in a much nicer car then this one I have now. This car is basicly a DD and I have no intentions as to making this one my money pit. Somethign halfway decent to DD will fit the bill

Quick Reply: A few questions about Bilstein Shocks and BTS kit