Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Will a blown shock cause wheel hop?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 03:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will a blown shock cause wheel hop?

Well heres the deal. The first time I opend up my 99 camaro after getting it fixed I noticed that the car wheel hopped violently on the 315/35/17 street tires. I thought it might have been the short sidewall on a car with serious suspension. But friday night I went to the track and had my 28x10.5x15 slicks on there and I was getting some serious wheel hop off the line. The car has a Spohn heavy duty t-arm, tubular LCAs, adjustable PHB, spohn drag sway bar, HAL adjustable shocks, eibach drag springs and a moser 9" with 4.10s and a spool. The car has no LCA relocation brackets but the LCAs are level (I checked them with the angle finder) and the car doesnt squat at all on launch. Here are 2 videos. The 1st one is an in-car vid on the street tires. It wheel hops like mad in 3rd gear. The 2nd vid is at the track friday night. Mine is the SS in the far lane. You can hear the motor stutter on the launch from the wheel hop. Thanks for all your help.

Jeremy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p27pw9hEttU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymClDjur3sM
Old 08-03-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally have had some traction loss due to bad shocks. I would vote yes it is possible.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im gonna pull the socks off tomorrow after I get a few other things wrapped up and see what I can figure out. Ill probably drop them off at a suspension shop in Indy after work and see what they think.

Quick Reply: Will a blown shock cause wheel hop?