Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torching the SPRINGS

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 06:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torching the SPRINGS

Theres a Local shop that says they will drop my car for $100, but by doing this they r gonna raise my car on a lift heat all four springs then lower the car back down until it get to the height I want my car to sit at, then cool the springs back down so that my car will stay like that. Does this sound like a good way to F@#% **** up or is this some kind of old trick that Ive never heard of??? or
Old 08-29-2003, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Torching the SPRINGS

DO NOT TORCH SPRINGS!!!!

This will cause the spring to loose it's temper. It ruins the properties of the spring steel (where it was heated). It can lead to cracking and other types of failure. I'd rather see you cut the springs than torch them (and I absolutely don't like cutting springs!!!! if that gives you any idea).

is this some kind of old trick that Ive never heard of???
Yes, it is an old trick. It was used by most of the "backwoods mechanics" in the small town I grew up in. The guys would just heat the springs until the car landed on the bumpstops. THey thought it looked cool. THe problem is, that it is nearly impossible to get a car to handle properly (or safely) when it is sitting on the bumpstops. THis raises the effective spring rate to unreasonable levels and the shocks are not able to cope with the loads. This can lead to vehicle instability and some really nasty handling problems.

These are just my thoughts....

But, if it were me, I'd run away.....
Old 08-31-2003, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Torching the SPRINGS

I vote no on spring torching.I know several "lowrider" guys and even some import guys that have done this.These people aren't generally concerned with how well their vehicles handle. They just want the look.
It was pretty common back when my dad was a kid and aftermarket springs weren't readily available.Your average car guy didn't know jack about spring rates so they cut springs with torches and/or heated them til they sacked out.

My opinion is either cut your stock springs(with an abrasive wheel)or get some aftermarket springs.