Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Why wont my right rear rotor come off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Why wont my right rear rotor come off?

I'm trying to change out my rotors and the damn thing wont come off on the rear passenger side. I have completely removed the calipers and brackets because I am having those painted. The rear driver-side rotor just slid off. Is it attached some other way? I have removed the rotor keeper-things on the studs, there were two. I tried hitting the inside of the rotor with a hammer and that didn't work either. I actually chipped the rotor from hitting it so hard. It really has to come off now, its fried. Help.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Why wont my right rear rotor come off?

sounds like the E-brake is hanging up on the rotor to me. you dont have it on do you? I assume not since you got the other side off.

I think there is a rubber plug on the back side of the backing plate you can use a screwdriver through to loosen them (if it is your brake and the brake isnt set, then you need to do this anyway, as they will be dragging when driving.)

If you cant get to the adjuster from the back (not 100% sure you can) try unhooking the cable from the lever on the back side.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, E-brake is binding and preventing removal of the rotor
Old 08-31-2003, 07:32 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried de-adjusting the shoes?
Prolly gonna have to replace the rotor & p/b shoes as well.
Old 08-31-2003, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Does it not move at all like it's stuck to the axle or move a little like the e-brake shoes are holding it?

If it's the former; put the lug nuts on the protect the studs and wrap it straight on with a hammer, give it good solid raps like you are trying to seat it up against the flange. If it's the latter make sure the cable is released all the way. The adjuster is under the rotor so you can't back it off, you'll just have to work the rotor or break it to get it off.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:30 AM
TECH Veteran

My driver side rear didn't come off right away, kind of like the situation you're having... I just took a rubber mallet (don't use a normal hammer otherwise you'll chip it, like you described) and hit around on the hub, in between the wheel studs. Not even very hard raps... just two or three good taps in the spaces between the wheel studs and it ended up popping right off.

Quick Reply: Why wont my right rear rotor come off?