Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Caliper Bracket Sliders cause rubbing? Help! BRAKE PROBLEM!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper Bracket Sliders cause rubbing? Help! BRAKE PROBLEM!

Well let me tell you the scoop;

Basically I bought my new rotors/brake pads, I went with the ceramic bendix ones and just some non slotted/drilled higher end rotors.

I swapped the new rotors/pads with the old ones, and noticed the front wheels were hard to spin while up on the jackstands...

I took it for a ride, noticed I heard rubbing and smelled the new break pads burning (none of this with the old pads)

I then took them back apart and noticed the caliper pins on the brackets, and 3/4 on the two were seized (couldn't get them out at all) the left two on were completely seized (where the rubbing was)

The right caliper had a small hairline tear in the suction cup part, but the left (side I heard rubbing) caliper looks great, and the car only has 50k on it..

Do those pins have anything to do with the pressure put on the front brakes? I could even tell with the idle on the car, I barely would move 1-2 mph when usually its 10mph or so. It seems like the left caliper isnt fully getting off the of the rotor, would those pins cause that? Also! This is third brake replacement in the past 30k.... they are wearing fast anyone have any ideas?

Im stumped because it wasn't rubbing at all with the old pads/rotors and im guessing those pins didn't decide to seize just because im getting new brakes.

Any ideas if this can cause that to rub or what might be the problem?
Old 08-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Teching In

anyone?
Old 08-10-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those pins allow the caliper to slide. When you apply the brakes it allows the caliper to slide and apply pressure to the outside pad. When you let off if allows the caliper so release the pressure off of the pads. That is probably your problem, I am dealing with the same problem right now with mine. I am going to order new brackets with pins from the dealer, but in your case with the crack i would get a set of loaded calipers. They come with a caliper and bracket.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you changed the rotors and pads, did you pull the pins out and regrease them?

I have found that locked up pins are a common problem on the front brakes. This is partly from the boots developing tears in them, but the main problem is that people just overlook pulling the pins out and greasing them when they change pads.

Needless to say, getting the pins out can be very difficult (I just had this problem with a new project I picked up). But not impossible and a lot cheaper than getting the bracket from GM or even GMPartsDirect.

Simply heat the bracket with a rosebud until glowing orange, grab the pins with pliers, then pull and twist until they come out.

If you don't destroy the pins taking them out, you can clean them up with some emory cloth and reuse them. If not, you can buy new ones for under $10. Unfortunately, the new ones I bought were not a perfect fit and will stick where the head seats in the bracket. A good grinder fixes this problem though.

If you do get the pins out, you need to soak the guide pin holes in the bracket with PB Blaster or WD40 and get in there a brush or something similar to clean them up.

Simply grease everything good and reassemble.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Caliper Bracket Sliders cause rubbing? Help! BRAKE PROBLEM!