Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bleeding brake system on 2000 SS with Traction Control?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bleeding brake system on 2000 SS with Traction Control?

I have already removed all of the calipers and brackets. I am having those painted. I figured I would go ahead and completely flush the system while I am at it. I am going to put in some better racing fluid (opinions?) Anyway, the calipers are drained and cleaned and the lines have stopped dripping. I removed the cap on the brake resoviour also but there is still fluid in there. Whats next? Should I start the car and pump the brakes or will fluid spray everywhere? Is that what I have to do and just add new fluid until it comes out clean? Will it flush them all out evenly? Will I have to pump the brakes with the calipers all off, put on the front calipers and repeat this method to do the rear calipers (because of the longer lines?) Any help is appreciated.
Also, in my haynes manual, why does it say this...?

Do not attempt this procedure if your vehicle is equipped with rthe Traction Control System (TCS), as the brake system cannot be bled without the use of a Tech-1 or T-100 (CAMS) scan tool. Have the following precedure performed at a dealer service dept. or other qualified repair shop with this special tool.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Bleeding brake system on 2000 SS with Traction Control?

Traction control or not it dosent matter. The only reason you would neet to use a tech 2 is if you let the brake system run dry. Other than that you will needto bleed the brakes with the calipers on, and speed bleeders would make it easier to. (almost every sponsor carries em) and its a certain order that you bleed the brakes in. Check out installuniversity.com and i think they have a complete rite up on how to do it.
Old 08-31-2003, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the only way you can do it with the calipers removed is with a pump. There are some inexpensive hand held models available.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote]
Do not attempt this procedure if your vehicle is equipped with rthe Traction Control System (TCS), as the brake system cannot be bled without the use of a Tech-1 or T-100 (CAMS) scan tool. Have the following precedure performed at a dealer service dept. or other qualified repair shop with this special tool. [/quot

Ooops. I just bleed mine with a Mityvac (sp?) pump. Not Tech II here. Mine is an LT1 with TCS. Not sure that it matters.

Quick Reply: Bleeding brake system on 2000 SS with Traction Control?