Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Compressing springs -- how to?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compressing springs -- how to?

I'm trying to install my front shocks. I'm having a problem with compressing the front springs. Namely--how do I know they are compressed enough to safely take off?

Right now I have the top four coils fully compressed. They're touching and I cannot compress them any more. Only abou 3/4" of the pigtail is still touching the shock mount. However, the shock mount doesn't feel loose or wobbly. Help! How do I know I compressed the springs correctly?
Old 08-17-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you can spin the spring inside of the coilover assembly. I would make sure this is the case before loosening the bolt and risk a flying shock hat.

Thing's not to do... don't use ratchet style wrenches. (yes I've done it)
Old 08-19-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luder[PAK9]
I'm trying to install my front shocks. I'm having a problem with compressing the front springs. Namely--how do I know they are compressed enough to safely take off?

Right now I have the top four coils fully compressed. They're touching and I cannot compress them any more. Only abou 3/4" of the pigtail is still touching the shock mount. However, the shock mount doesn't feel loose or wobbly. Help! How do I know I compressed the springs correctly?
Sounds like you've got it, as the above poster said, you should be able to move the spring around, thats how you know its good. As long as your compress a few of the coils, you'll be good.