Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Vibration shelled my rear end

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 03:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Vibration shelled my rear end

I was on vacation in south texas and something happened to my car that made it start vibrating. At first it wasnt real bad just annoying. It progressivly got worse and 300 miles after it started the vibration it broke some of the bolts in my rear end causing them to lodge in the gears, break other bolts and blow the bolts out of my rear end cover. Got to a shop, 3 of the bolts were broke off at the head replaced the rest of the bolts with new ones. The bolt holes around the large gear had been worn into an oval shape. Got back on the road made it maybe 7 minutes, vibration still there, another bolt come loose in the rear end, had to get the car towed 300 miles to get back home.

So 2 months after I get it home and park it, I come up with the funds to fix it. I bought another 10 bolt rear end with 4:11s. I had my driveshaft checked for balance, which it was good. They said they spin it to 3300 RPM and it was straight as a string. I also bought new rear swaybar endlinks.

Got it all put back together again, and still. Its got vibration at around 45-50 (not sure on exact speed, havnt got the computer set up for the 4:11 gears yet)

This vibration is bad, like, feels like the car is coming apart bad at 45+. It doesnt go away not in neutral, not with no load, just doesnt disappear. I got it on the jackstands and ran it to 130 MPH, Theres no vibration in the driveshaft, doesnt look like anything is vibrating, While in the car and its on jackstands I can run it to 150 MPH and it doesnt vibrate. But when its on the ground and I'm hitting 45-50 MPH its vibrating BAD.

Any Ideas?
Old 08-17-2008, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checked the rear shocks to see if they are working properly? (since it doesn't repeat off the ground, could be tire hopping)

Checked the rotors to see if one is warped?

Checked the wheels to see if one may be bent? Wheel and tires balanced?

Pinion angle OK? (check Torque arm, also could lose repeatability with car off ground)

Last edited by Dan Stewart; 08-17-2008 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually I just found the problem. I bought 2 used tires from a forum member. Had them balanced and installed. Went on my trip to Texas. The car started the vibrations 600 miles into the trip. Shelled the rear end, fixed it, shelled it again, got it towed home, put another rear end in, still vibrating, All because of these wonderful tires I got that cost me over $1000 after everything was said and done.

Apparently several of the bands inside the tire broke causing it to be extremly uneven, and being on the rear is what screwed the rear end in the first place. I wish I had known this when the vibrations started I put an old 16inch firebird wheel on the front and ran over 100 MPH on the road with 0 vibration
Old 08-17-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sschoeffler
I bought another 10 bolt rear end with 4:11s.
That is also part of your problem.

-Mike
Old 08-17-2008, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that sucks

Quick Reply: Vibration shelled my rear end