Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Just got my Koni's installed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008 | 10:06 PM
Launching!

2 sweeps is too soft. Most people run 4 sweeps from full hard (and since there's 9.5 sweeps total, that's the same as 5.5 sweeps from full soft). It may be that the harshness you're feeling is due to "ratcheting." That occurs when shocks are set too soft, allowing a single bump to fully compress the shock so when the car hits another bump immediately after the first, you slam into the bump stop b/c there's no more travel left in the shock.
Old 09-01-2008 | 07:45 AM
Launching!

You really need to try several adjustments after installing Koni's to get a ride that you like.

When mine were installed they were 4 sweeps from full hard on the front and that was far too jarring. Every bump made the turn signal rattle and I didn't even like driving the car. MY first impressions of the Koni's was awful.

I kept adjusting and driving until I got the feel that I wanted. But every car is different. Now it's a joy to drive and much better than the stock deCarbons.
Old 09-01-2008 | 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by beaSSt
You really need to try several adjustments after installing Koni's to get a ride that you like.

When mine were installed they were 4 sweeps from full hard on the front and that was far too jarring. Every bump made the turn signal rattle and I didn't even like driving the car. MY first impressions of the Koni's was awful.

I kept adjusting and driving until I got the feel that I wanted. But every car is different. Now it's a joy to drive and much better than the stock deCarbons.
What did your fronts end up at?

Bill
Old 09-01-2008 | 01:58 PM
12 Second Club

i havent really had time to fine tune and pre search anything...the car was in the process of new motor m6 swap and all the suspension install before t/a nats weekend. well the last two weekends ive been busy, im not trying to make excuses but like i said before it still needs fine tuning in several areas. i will try to adjust em today, i am still a novice on the terminology for them as you see from my previous post describing a sweep for both front and back.
Old 09-02-2008 | 05:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling

What did your fronts end up at?

Bill
I ended up about 4 sweeps from full soft on my fronts. I've got heavy TT2 wheels and really stiff poly bushings in the front control arms (a big mistake!) so to balance out the wheel weight and harshness of the poly this setting gives good control and a pretty good ride.
Old 09-02-2008 | 07:41 PM
Launching!

I'm running Konis with stock Z28 springs and 32mm 1LE front swaybar.... fronts set at 2 sweeps from full soft and rear set at soft is great.

This is a HUGE improvement over stock. Stock shocks give a floaty feel and feels almost dangerous taking turns at high speed. The Konis got rid of the floatiness completely and I feel much more confident taking high speed turns. It feels planted now. Keep in mind the stock deCarbon's only had 54k miles on them so I wouldn't consider them worn out. Not sure how else to describe it, but I would say the handling of a stock Z28 is marginal and handling of an otherwise stock Z28 on Koni shocks is very good. I'm impressed with them so far.

I was worried about them being jarring or harsh over pot holes and rough roads, but they are super smooth. Hopefully they still stay smooth once the weather gets cold.

Got my Koni 4/4s in July from a CamaroZ28.com sponsor for $806.40 shipped to my door.

Pricey, but well worth it in my opinion.
Old 09-03-2008 | 11:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

from time to time I feel I have to bring a bit of reality back to these discusssions.

First, I run a business. I work very hard and do the best I can to support my customers. Supporting my customers means giving them information they just cannot get elsewhere be it for things like alignements and shock settings. But not just that, also an explanation of *WHY* and how those thing work.

This is not camaroz28.com, I know the vendor you are speaking of and they continually ignore Koni minimum advertised pricing policy, which I'm not willing to do. Moreover they have "borrowed" a shock combination I came up with and use. And in the end I recall vtirocz asking all kinds of setup questions about the Koni's here. If their support was so good, why did you need to do that?

So excuse the fact I'm a little frustrated at this point, but I don't see other vendors having or passing along the knowledge I do, and then I'm supposed to do it for a price that ignores Koni policy and costs me money. I wonder how many of you would like to work for free, or do all the work when someone else gets paid. I understand the want to save money. I also understand that a fair price is just that. And I'm a fair guy. Who else reported on the Sept 1 Koni price increase? Nobody. I did because I thought it was the right thing to do.

Bottom line: You can get Koni's, or any number of other parts a lot of places. You can't get the information I provide a lot of other places. What you get from me isn't a poll on "most folks run here" which is what many are trying to figure out by asking where others run their shocks. Who cares where Joe runs his shocks, it isn't relevant on your car. What is is what makes your car work the best, and I also explain that for the price.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 09-03-2008 | 02:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
from time to time I feel I have to bring a bit of reality back to these discusssions.

First, I run a business. I work very hard and do the best I can to support my customers. Supporting my customers means giving them information they just cannot get elsewhere......

So excuse the fact I'm a little frustrated at this point, but I don't see other vendors having or passing along the knowledge I do, and then I'm supposed to do it for a price that ignores Koni policy and costs me money. I wonder how many of you would like to work for free, or do all the work when someone else gets paid. I understand the want to save money. I also understand that a fair price is just that. And I'm a fair guy.

Bottom line: You can get Koni's, or any number of other parts a lot of places. You can't get the information I provide a lot of other places......

I feel your pain, Sam. Back in the late 70s, when custom wheels and HP tires were just starting to gain a foothold in the mainstream markets, I had a "side business" selling them. I took the time to sell people the best combination for their needs, and I had a pretty large client base, strictly by word of mouth.

But every once in a while, I'd run into the situation you're describing...A "customer" who'd question me to death about what was the right tire or wheel for their car/truck, only to buy it elsewhere, 'cause the other place was 6-8 miles closer, or $3-4 per tire cheaper.

Then, when the dust had settled, I'd find out that the reason the tire they bought was cheaper is because I quoted a price on Firestone or GoodYear, and they bought Hercules, Jetzon or Dean!! (AND then they bitched at me 'cause they didn't like how it handled!!) Makes you wonder, doesn't it???
Old 09-03-2008 | 03:10 PM
Launching!

Default Shut The **** Up, Sam

Your "from time to time" is every single ******* thread about shocks, and particularly Konis. What was the need for your post? This thread is not about your business practices. No one called you out saying you charge too much or you don't know ****. You always feel the need to bring up the fact that, "Hey, if only you're willing to pay more, you get all of my secret knowledge." That's an understandable business practice, but this forum and this thread is about people who want to share their knowledge for free. If you don't want to participate in that, that's fine. But don't come into every damn shock thread whining about how people should have opted to pay for your information.
Old 09-03-2008 | 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^^

No dude; you need to ! Talking like that will be a great way to cause him to stop helping people and giving out advice.

Personally i would rather pay for true, proven advice then get some free advice from Johnny Toolbag who got it from his cousin's friend's cousin's brother who read it in a magazine and tried it out on Grand Turismo....

he gives out plenty of "free" advice, i have the inbox to prove it; but you can't expect him to sit there all day spec'ing out someone's car only to have that person dick him over for another vendor bc he could save $10.
Old 09-03-2008 | 05:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Luder[PAK9]
Your "from time to time" is every single ******* thread about shocks, and particularly Konis. What was the need for your post? This thread is not about your business practices. No one called you out saying you charge too much or you don't know ****. You always feel the need to bring up the fact that, "Hey, if only you're willing to pay more, you get all of my secret knowledge." That's an understandable business practice, but this forum and this thread is about people who want to share their knowledge for free. If you don't want to participate in that, that's fine. But don't come into every damn shock thread whining about how people should have opted to pay for your information.

I can't believe that anyone would be so uncouth as to post something like this...................
Old 09-03-2008 | 05:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

For the record, those of us who are site sponsors aren't given that title for free. We pay for that... and without folks like me who pay to sponsor this site, your idea that "this forum and this thread is about people who want to share their knowledge for free" couldn't be... because it takes money to run a site like this. Money gotten from sponsors here, not camaroz28.com.

I was a sponsor over there for a while, but am currently not, because it's more techy over here which I prefer and I can only spend so much of my time on forums. I prefer to do what I do and do it well. FWIW, the information many have gotten regarding Koni's has come from my customers (which means it came from me). And I'm sick and tired of being treated like I should enjoy being used and help everyone for free. Sorry, free doesn't pay my bills. And I will, when possible continue to point out that what I do and offer is not something you can get just anywhere. I pay for that ability, and I will also ask those of you who are my customers to refrain when possible from giving out specific information that I gave you.

I hate to do that, but it's attitudes like Luder[PAK9]'s that lead me to this point. Folks like to complain about money, and somehow think I should do what I do for no profit, despite this being how I make my living. It's not a side job, it's not hobby. I'm not Summit Racing or some mega-company that can afford loss-leaders. All I can do it over the best service and advice I can. When that service and advice is taken for granted by folks who want the dirt and info I give out, then buy the shocks for the cheap-o price, I have to watch what I give out so openly.

I'm not asking for anyone to pay me $200 more because I'm me. In fact I'm very price competitive. Sometimes you find a shop willing to cut their own throat on price... I can't help that and will not slit my throat because someone else was willing. I sell Koni @ MAP level, and more and more companies are demanding that happen. Why? Because pricing games hurt everyone. The cheap guy makes everyone else sell what they can make a living on, even if it's not as good. Then in short order the company is selling a lot less parts because one company can't supply everyone and they've driven other vendors away from the product line.

And I like how you ignored the fact I do help, am a sponsor, and did take the time and effort to make folks aware of upcoming price changes..... did anyone else see any other company do that? I didn't.

I'll shut the **** up now.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Last edited by Sam Strano; 09-03-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2008 | 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

And I started this thread. My 4/4 koni's are working great. I am thinking of adjusting my fronts a turn softer. I wonder if I have to take the wheels off to get to the adjuster??

Bill
Old 09-03-2008 | 06:52 PM
Launching!

Bill, did you notice any change in height in the front with the Konis??? For some reason, mine sits about 3/8" higher than before with the Konis... only in the front. Because of this, I'm considering to make use of the lower perch.

Mines on stock springs.
Old 09-03-2008 | 07:16 PM
Launching!

I'll shut the **** up now.
Before you do, please explain what brought on your initial post. No one complained about your prices or said that you should provide your advice for free. So why the rant?
Old 09-04-2008 | 12:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not to burst your bubble but I think you are the only one who cares. I personally got sick of hearing the one guy complain about his issues all day long and never go adjust the damn shocks to see if it made a difference. Rather he just kept rebitching about the same problem and refused to listen to people who were trying to help him out. Honestly, if several people are telling you that LCA bushings and a heavy rear will screw up your ride, wouldn't you eventually start to think "Maybe I didn't put this setup together very well?", but no he didn't (which is more than frustrating to me). If I were Sam I would have probably become sick of helping someone for free that didn't get quality help from where they bought the shocks. All I see it as is him explaining why you should buy from him (and he is a sponsor so he "should" be able to do this without ridicule) instead of Senor ******* because otherwise you might not be happy with what you put together (like the member who has been having the issues). I didn't see the need to "call out" a sponsor, from what Sam said. A PM to him maybe if he is doing something to irritate you. Call me a nutswinger or what ever you like, I don't care. Well I'm done responding to the drama in the thread. I don't get why everyone gets so bent out of shape so easily.

BTW congrats on the huge internet *****, that thing is massive.

To the original poster, I've never tried adjusting with the wheel still on because it is so much easier to get to with the tire off the car. So I'd recommend that to you.
Old 09-04-2008 | 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Haha I want a huge internet *****!
Old 09-04-2008 | 06:54 AM
TECH Addict

I lose business all the time to lesser shops and cheaper prices. American enterprise is a great thing. It allows all of us the chance to make a living, some better than others. Fortunately or unfortunately for some, the internet has really allowed for competition to exist and be readily available. The advice given here has already been given in years past as well, so searching would find the answer to most any suspension question. Complaining about what others sell their products for isn't helping your cause. You'll continue to do business to a certain crowd, just as the other retailers will as well.
Old 09-04-2008 | 12:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling
And I started this thread. My 4/4 koni's are working great. I am thinking of adjusting my fronts a turn softer. I wonder if I have to take the wheels off to get to the adjuster??

Bill
I'm able to adjust mine with the wheels on no problem. Just jack the car up nice and high.

Save's a lot of time not removing the wheels.
Old 09-04-2008 | 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by beaSSt
I'm able to adjust mine with the wheels on no problem. Just jack the car up nice and high.

Save's a lot of time not removing the wheels.
Thanks. I will have to do that as soon as I go play on the ocean. I am going on a cruise next week. No internet and no phones.. Heaven....

Bill

Quick Reply: Just got my Koni's installed?