Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SPOHN front a arms are bending!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008 | 10:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
Regardless of what ANY manufacturer claims, it's all down to the engineering. While some may have not suffered this problem, there has been a trend of postings with this and other like problems with that design of front lower a-arms.

Again, what I'm criticising is the design chosen. How the manufacturer deals with these issues is another matter, which I do hope they offer support for their claim.
I understand. But the customer can only go by whats said in the ad. If the ad says good for daily driven vehicles and buys a set, if it's daily driven and has a failure, the company should take care of the customer IMO.

I guess then you throw in all the variables like hitting potholes might be considered abuse, and void a warranty. So it ends up being based on customers word whether a warranty would be issued. Tough situation for both.
Old 08-29-2008 | 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
I understand. But the customer can only go by whats said in the ad. If the ad says good for daily driven vehicles and buys a set, if it's daily driven and has a failure, the company should take care of the customer IMO.

I guess then you throw in all the variables like hitting potholes might be considered abuse, and void a warranty. So it ends up being based on customers word whether a warranty would be issued. Tough situation for both.
Yes, I agree, which is why I initially posted what I experienced. Unfortunately, it's mostly caveat emptor with lots of these aftermarket items (and that's a shame), and for some, an expensive and wasteful learning experience for insignificant "real world" practical gains.
Old 08-30-2008 | 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RUNINHOT
I have the same lower arms as you do, and they are also bending just like that. I was at stock hight when I noticed them bent.
Thanks for the response. That's pathetic. Won't be buying that product, ever.
Old 09-02-2008 | 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea thats the problem with these manufacturers they advertise them as "built for seriouse road race and can take all the demands of street driving" yet they can not...im starting to get really upset with aftermarket parts especially when this is my hobby and i like to think im buying the best parts out there only to find out they are inferior. how hard is it just to design something that can take pretty much anything? im sure the first company to at least remake one of their parts that have had problems wether or not it be due to extreme lowering or anything for that matter and just beef up the part and then REALLY advertise as it can take the abuses of daily driving they would out sell everyone else. hell to start lets see someone remake their lower a arms with a thicker shock mounting plate or some good reinforcements...how hard is that? then test it on a slammed car that "bottoms out the fron shocks" dont have to hit huge pot holes or anything just go over some rough roads for a few days.most of the market out there are street drivers and even right now there are many more people that wont replace theyre k member or a arms for the reason that they are affraid of something breaking on just everyday normal driving. i can understand a part breaking due to a giant hole or hitting a curb or something as that isnt an everyday occurance but just rough roads every now and then are destroying my $500 chromolly a arms...seriously WTF!

Last edited by C Murda; 09-02-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-02-2008 | 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss

oh and in response to this...the description on all of the suspension parts on SPOHNs website to me at least make it seem as these parts are built to take it all YET everytime i get the packge and my reciept there is a disclaimer stapled to it saying that there is no warranty what so ever and the company can not be held responsible...i understand that to a point if say i hit a curb and my wheel just fell off due to the arm breaking but when its just simple daily driving and the part is starting to fail i think i should get a new set for free hell ill pay half price at least, make it a 50/50% type of warranty. if the company has reoccuring issues ten maybe they should sit down and REDESIGN!
Old 09-02-2008 | 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh and one other thing....SPOHNs site clearly says these parts are "stronger yet lighter than stock" well hey sounds like false advertisement. maybethe CM tubing is stronger than stamped and formed factory steel but usually if not all the time when describing a part you are describing it as a whole part which should imply the shock mount and everything on the part for that matter. and i believe someone earlier in this thread on the 1st pages stated that they have my same setup with factory a arms and there is no bending in the shock mount area and no problems at all.
Old 09-02-2008 | 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's unfortunately the way things work. I have to give BMR credit in my case, they offered a very small reduction in price for replacements and sent me aluminium plates to spread the load better. They also suggested I bend the plate back flat. But it was brought to my attention that bending back a part that has bent is just asking for it to catastrophically fail.
Something else to cosider is whether you want to replace a part that has failed with the same part?

Unfortunately most of us have to learn through expierience and lots of reading on and off the boards as we aren't engineers.
Old 09-02-2008 | 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by C Murda
oh and one other thing....SPOHNs site clearly says these parts are "stronger yet lighter than stock" well hey sounds like false advertisement. maybethe CM tubing is stronger than stamped and formed factory steel but usually if not all the time when describing a part you are describing it as a whole part which should imply the shock mount and everything on the part for that matter. and i believe someone earlier in this thread on the 1st pages stated that they have my same setup with factory a arms and there is no bending in the shock mount area and no problems at all.
Im lowered on Strano's and have no adverse effects to the other stock suspension parts on the car. I thoroughly checked my suspension and the entire car over as a matter of fact and nothing was hurt. I dont know if the different springs and what have you play a differance, but it is clear that SPOHN in this case makes an infearior product.

Originally Posted by v7guy
It's unfortunately the way things work. I have to give BMR credit in my case, they offered a very small reduction in price for replacements and sent me aluminium plates to spread the load better. They also suggested I bend the plate back flat. But it was brought to my attention that bending back a part that has bent is just asking for it to catastrophically fail.

Something else to cosider is whether you want to replace a part that has failed with the same part?

Unfortunately most of us have to learn through expierience and lots of reading on and off the boards as we aren't engineers.
This is very true. As a metalsmith i learned very quickly that metal is a one time use so to speak. If you mess the bend or somthing of that sort up you have to start over. Now i do work on aircraft and the parts have just as much if not alot more stress on them over a automotive part but the basics are the same. Once somthing bends, first off its a sign that something is wrong, and two the bent part MUST be replaced.
Old 09-02-2008 | 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like I said earlier the only thing spohn offered to me was to beef up a new set at no added charge BUT that still means I have to spend another $500 and wait who knows how long since it's a "custom" part....anyone wanna buy some CM front a arms with a bend in the shock mounts? Haha

Quick Reply: SPOHN front a arms are bending!!!!