Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI's 2018 - LCAs - Poly/Poly Adjustable

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UMI's 2018 - LCAs - Poly/Poly Adjustable

Anyone run 'em? These have poly's on both ends with the adjuster in the middle. Need input as I'm debating between the 2016 (poly/rod) and the 2018(adj. poly/poly). this would be on what is primarily a DD that will see some track (road) time.

Thoughts????
Old 09-26-2008, 11:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

All poly arms do a great job at dealing with wheelhop. However, they also limit and bind the rear suspension movement a bit. Nothing wants to flex and let the axle articulate as freely as you can get with arms that have one rod-end in them.

Bottom line to me is this: If you just drag race, or can't tolerate any potential noise at all then all poly arms will work for you. If the axle is not sitting straight in the car (checked by an alignment), then you should opt for the adjustable arms.

If you want the rear suspension to move as freely as it can in roll (which makes the car less jumpy when you hit bumps, etc) then you want LCA's that allow articulation and the axle to pivot if/when one side hits a bump the other does not. You still get rid of wheelhop because the rod-ends and bushings don't let the axle wind-up, but you also get rid of the bind in the rear when the body wants to move independently of the axle.

Poly/Rod's are pretty popular because they don't bind. And the fact the use a poly bushing in front isolates rod-end noise (not that there is a lot of it) from the body pretty well.

FYI, the new UMI arms are not on my website (yet), but we do carry them and should be up in the next few days.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 09-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Sam. Your input is always appreciated. Poly/rod it is.

now how about a group buy on your hollow sway bar set so I can really get this car setup right????
Old 09-26-2008, 01:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Honestly, I'm not into GP's. They are a nightmare of tire-kickers, and frankly when I can't keep them in stock I really have no incentive to put things on "sale". If you make a good product and price it fairly there is no reason to play pricing games IMHO.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: UMI's 2018 - LCAs - Poly/Poly Adjustable