Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Modifying Your Front Upper Shock Mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 05:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey VinR1
how much inches at top or bottom you cut on front/rear coilover?
Your t/a looks good
Old 06-30-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Smith
Hey VinR1
how much inches at top or bottom you cut on front/rear coilover?
Your t/a looks good
thanks!

I didn't cut anything off the springs themselves - they're Intrax 2in lowering springs. The shocks are otherwise unmodified Bilsteins. The only thing I did was the upper mount mod and I cut exactly .75in off each side as per Jason's instructions

I like the way it looks but to be safe, I've got some spacers and I'll be raising the front a half-inch or so this weekend
Old 07-10-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VinR1
To reiterate, what this mod does is allow a lowered car to ride smoother. Normally a car as low as VinR1's above would ride pretty rough up front. With the mod it lets the tires move up more when you hit a bump and hence, a smoother ride.

Also, about spring rates and cutting stock springs:

Stock 300lb/inch front springs gain 25lb/inch for each coil you cut. So cutting 1/3 of a coil would not be a noticable rate increase at all.

The 110-115lb/inch rears gain 20lb for each coil you cut. That's a good thing because it's a noticable increase in rate on a spring that's too soft from the factory.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Resident

I need to re-read the thread if its been covered but what differences are there on the ground control kit? I need more travel up front. I dont hit the bumpstops now but i did raise it a tad this year for that reason. I want to put it back down 1/2 inch in front but need the travel.

Im assuming an angle grinder will cut through that pretty quick?
Old 08-13-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

If your using the GC kit you'll need to reset your ride height.

Angle grinders do work, but is really messy due to the melting rubber.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

This must be similar to what I did to the front of my c4. I have custom bushings that are much thinner than stock on the shock in front below the mount and I just put them on top of the mount allowing the shock to be raised that much higher in relation to the chassis. gives me more travel being lowered.

So all I'm really doing here is cutting the bottom of the mount. removing the washer inside the middle of the piece that is cut and putting it on the topside? Thus allowing the shock to be raised upwards at full extension. Im sure it was repeated numerous times but I never took the time to think about it. For some reason the piece that is cut off looked like it would make a big hole the first time I looked at it.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As it is sitting now the front of my car is sitting 1 inch higher than the rear from weight reductions in the engine bay. Im on bilsteins and the stock springs. Im glad I found this because before my only solution was drag coilovers. Being able to lower, keep a soft spring, and keep my bilsteins with the travel they need is amazing.

Ideally I would like to be about 1 inch lower than stock. So that most likely means I need to drop down 2 inches. Any idea how much spring I might need to cut starting so high up?

Also how would lowering A arms play into this? Could you do the upper mount mod AND lowering A arms? The bmr lowering a arms drop an inch. I dont know if anybody has ever done both of these together.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

What bmr lowering a arms??? I asked for a product like this a year ago did they start to actually make them?
Old 08-14-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah they are even on sale until midnight tonight with one of the sponsers.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Default I think I got it now...

I'm getting ready to do this myself but was having an issue with wrapping brain cells around just why the shock wouldn't be bottoming out easier. So I did what I always do in these cases... drew a picture

I guess the important point I had to visualize here was that at ride height the spring is compressed the same amount, and the upper and lower perches are in the same position, so the car isn't lowered. The difference is the piston in the shock is physically located higher in the shock body, meaning it has a longer distance to travel during suspension compression before "bottoming" itself internally.

Mark.
Attached Thumbnails Modifying Your Front Upper Shock Mount-shockmod.jpg  
Old 08-17-2011, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by drone
Also how would lowering A arms play into this? Could you do the upper mount mod AND lowering A arms? The bmr lowering a arms drop an inch. I dont know if anybody has ever done both of these together.
Those lowering A-arms basically do the same thing as this mount modification, just a lot more expensive. The extra thing the arms do is move both the shock and spring down with DOES lower the car.

Yes you can do both things, but remember, the tire can only go so high (when hitting a bump or something) before it touches the sheetmetal.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2" drop springs, heater hose rear, plus this mod = Perfect stance

Modifying Your Front Upper Shock Mount-wkcic.jpg
Old 08-29-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when lifting the front tires to measure how much clearance I have, how about the wire mod - is there something I should worry about this? Is it ok if it rubs on the plastic a little or should I measure to make sure it doesn't touch the plastic at all? Thanks guys - I look forward to doing this mod and getting back that 1" of travel !
Old 08-30-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

It depends on your wheel/tire combo - I have 17x9.5 ZR1s with wide 275 BFG KDs and I can only recall rubbing the plastic liner maybe once or twice on some insane bumps...
Old 08-30-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It depends on your wheel/tire combo - I have 17x9.5 ZR1s with wide 275 BFG KDs and I can only recall rubbing the plastic liner maybe once or twice on some insane bumps...
good to know ! What kind of springs/drop are you running again? Im running GMS springs (1.2 inch drop) and the zr1 oe wheels 9.5 front with 275 nittos
Old 08-30-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have Intrax 2" springs (purple TA at the top of this page)
Old 08-30-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have Intrax 2" springs (purple TA at the top of this page)
Do you have the !wire mod done as well? With a 2" drop im sure mine should clear fine then ! Thanks for your input ! Ill make sure to post pictures
Old 08-31-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eddielb
Do you have the !wire mod done as well? With a 2" drop im sure mine should clear fine then ! Thanks for your input ! Ill make sure to post pictures
no but when mine did rub it was the extreme outer edge of the plastic where it meets the fender - I believe JasonWW did the research and showed that your shocks will bottom out before the tires smack the top of the fender liner
Old 08-31-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no but when mine did rub it was the extreme outer edge of the plastic where it meets the fender - I believe JasonWW did the research and showed that your shocks will bottom out before the tires smack the top of the fender liner
thanks for that info I will double check and then go ahead and go with it !
Old 08-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Launching!

for those that have actually done this mod- how has it held up? Any potential problems/ observations ...advice?

Quick Reply: Modifying Your Front Upper Shock Mount