Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano Koni Compared to Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strano Koni Compared to Corvette

So from all of my reading it seems that the Strano Koni Set up is a very good set up to say the least; my question is how would a f-body equiped with this set up compare to a c5 corvette? This can be in ride quality as well as handling; maybe if you have skid pad numbers etc...

I know it is hard to say exactly and I know they are just totally different cars just trying to see how they would compare, and get some opinions.

I have tried to do some searching and have not been able to find much on the topic

Thanks for the help guys
Old 10-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've not driven a Camaro with that set-up, but a Corvette is in another league compared to stock Camaro or slightly modded Camaro as far as suspension. I've driven some Camaro's with suspension mods and a stock Vette is still far from a Camaro. A set of T1 bars on a Vette raises the level even more. Even if you do get your Camaro handling great, the seats really don't provide much support. You can get a F-body to handle great though.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

This is a subject of much debate, but I think this is a pretty good analysis.

Here are the latest auto-x PAX correction factors: http://www.scca-chicago.com/solo/indexes/rtp2008.html

A Strano car is basically an ESP car.
PAX: .841

Stock C5 Z06 is a fast SS car.
PAX: .852

So, on a PAX'ed 60 sec course, you'd expect the Z06 to be about 1.1 secs faster. (71.3-70.4), which is a pretty decent gap. Certainly the f-body can handle very well, but the C5 is just better: less weight, better weight distribution, less unsprung weight, good IRS, etc.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

I have the 4/3 setup with the strano front swaybar at the stock ride height. it feels night and day different than the soggy suspension I had before.

I rented a 08 C6 back in march for a weekend, and wow it definalty feels alot better. the IRS, lower profile tires, and lower cg really allow you to push.

but the koni 4/3 from strano is great, its a little stiffer but its like 85% of the ride quality of stock. With 125% of the stock corner and handling. A nice compromise.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd love to tell you that I can make a Camaro handle like a Corvetter, but I can't tell you that. We also mess with Vette's too, and they are just completely different cars. For instance, a C5 Z06 is about 400 pounds lighter, has 12% shorter gearing, IRS (and pretty damned good IRS) a lower Cg, better weight distribution largely due to the transaxle design, and more power.

If you consider all those things, it's not possible to get an f-body to be a Corvette.

That said, I'll also relate to autox results to give you an idea of just how good an f-body can be.

SCCA Solo Nationals 2006 (the last year I ran the Camaro, but plan on bringing it back out for '09).

Winner of ASP is Mike Johnson--a friend and customer in his Z06. Total time over the two courses of 99.825 seconds. I'll add now that Mike is a 3 time National Champion himself and beat me straight up in 2003 in F-stock in our Camaro's, he knows what he's doing. My total time in winning ESP was 101.229. That is a 1.404 second difference running the same courses in cars that run different classes, but have the same preparation rules (Street Prepared, or "SP" classes).

So after over a minute and a half of running, the difference was 1.4 seconds. I think it shows what a Camaro can do, especially when you consider the things I mentioned to start with. The F-body has NO single advantage over the Vette, but the results speak for themselves.

Rain was not a factor, and in fact I ran in the 1st heat on the 1st day that year, which is the slowest of any time to run as the surface is dirty, and no rubber has been put down. In fact that year using the correction factor (the PAX) as Mojave mentioned I finished 11th overall for the entire event and there were about 1100 folks running that year.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-10-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the info, I totally understand how they are two completely different cars and the corvettes are IRS, lighter etc etc, I was just trying to get an idea of how well the F-Body can do when set up right; which is exactly what you guys have done, thanks I appreciate it. I have a stock F-Body and my dad has a c5 zo6 z16, so I was just curious as to how the camaros can do with a little suspension work.

Quick Reply: Strano Koni Compared to Corvette