Just got a couple tickets in the TA... cost?dismissable? will insurance go up??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008 | 03:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1nterceptor

The easiest way to get the license plate ticket dismissed is to properly mount it on your vehicle. As someone posted earlier, the TRC law regarding front license plates is loosely worded. Unfortunately for you, the case law regarding license plate law is not loosely worded. It states that the front LP is on your vehicle for the same purpose as your rear LP, and that is vehicle identification. And your vehicle can not be positively identified from the front if it is not mounted correctly on the front of your vehicle. There is also a separate section of the TRC that states that you can not cover your LP with any material. It is generally thought to refer to things such as the plastic shields meant to block your plate from red light cameras. But once again case law says that your windshield is a barrier meant to block the view of your LP. So I would not recommend showing up to court with your LP in your windshield. That is a quick way to get a judge to slap you with a fine and force you to mount it properly prior to driving it off the property.

Do not play games with courts. They generally don't like it, have more experience in the field than you, and they tend to win. Also do not play games with street cops, see previous sentence for reasoning.

But if you show up with your plate mounted properly as required by law and simply tell them you were unaware that it was required or some such excuse, I am willing to bet it gets dropped once they see you are responsible and complied with the law.
http://www.afbforums.com/forum/index...=license+plate
Old 10-12-2008 | 04:42 AM
Launching!

lol patrick already have the city ordinance "spinning the tires" its an ordinance basically pay the fine and it wont go against your driving record. I got a lawyer to dismiss part of it because I got 2 tickets at the time. The license plate one is a fix-it-ticket, put the plate on, show them you did and you may only pay the small court fee, the spinning the tires one you will end up paying
Old 10-12-2008 | 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
Hey LS1nterseptor you seem to have all of the answers tell me this why when I bought the antique plates for my 69 Nova I did not recieve a front plate. i asked the lady at the court house and she said I did not have to have one. They don't even issue front plates for antique cars. Explain that if it against the law not to have one.
That's an extremely easy answer. You spoke with someone who was employed in a courthouse. It's that simple. When I bought a new car they did the same thing. I had to force them to provide me with 2 plates. Speaking with someone whose job is to file paperwork is not always the best place to get information regarding the law. Knowledge of the law is not transferred through skin contact with legal paperwork. Or it could be the exemption for cars made prior to the current law being instituted. You choose.
Old 10-14-2008 | 02:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
thank you. screw that stupid *** law all to hell
Old 10-14-2008 | 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:

I was there when that guy got the ticket. It was before we went on a cruise. You might want to check the out come of that.
Old 10-14-2008 | 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Medic/Z28
Quote:

I was there when that guy got the ticket. It was before we went on a cruise. You might want to check the out come of that.
Um... It appears as though the outcome is in that post ...

License plates in the front windshield = legal.

Also, update on my situation. Would cost $137 to pay the spinning tires ticket... but Im going to do defensive driving.. $107 + the DD class. Not as bad as I thought it would be.