Any HVAC Techs here???

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any HVAC Techs here???

If so how is work for you guys?, and does it pay well? I'm thinking about taking some classes at night to get my license and be a certified technician, so i was just wondering and wanted to know how is work in that field? Thanks
Old 10-28-2008, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I do refrigeration installs and service calls. I have seen techs range from $18.00 to $27.00 an hr. Really depends on where you go. Summer time is the best time to hire on for good pay. There is good money to be made in side work. Are you looking at commercial or residental hvac?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SLV_WS6
I do refrigeration installs and service calls. I have seen techs range from $18.00 to $27.00 an hr. Really depends on where you go. Summer time is the best time to hire on for good pay. There is good money to be made in side work. Are you looking at commercial or residental hvac?
Im not sure if its either commercial or residential, If i got my license i was thinking commercial, workin for a company, or for a school district. Is it hard to get licensed?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The epa test is not easy. You will need to study for it. The test is a 3 or 4 section test each section is a different qualification. If you pass all sections you will get a universal epa. The test is suposed to be timed. You can get the test and a study guide from most suply houses. It cost like $50.00. If you know the right people the time limit is over looked sometimes. Some places will let you use the study guide aswell. Again its all who you know. You will make more $ working for a company than the school district. The schools districts are great latter on in your career. Look at the refrigeration side aswell.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok great info thanks, to bad i dont know any1 that will have my test "time limit overlooked", im gonna be taking a look at the local colleges here in DFW and see how those classes are
Old 10-28-2008, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

stay in teh commercial field, more money there.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
stay in teh commercial field, more money there.
if its more money than thats what im into..
kinda debating in that filed of work or auto body work..
50/50chance that my dad might open shop, but f he does i dont wanna waste my time in the hvac field, and would rather gain some knowledge in the auto body repair