Assault rifles flying off the shelves!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 12:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WildBills Toyota
dude there not just long range guns. My ar has a colapsable stock with a 14 inch barrel. Shorter than any shotgun. And also trust me you can pick any hand gun you want and if you get into a short range gun fight with a guy with an ar you will loose. trust me

?????? 14inch barrel???? Are you Law enforcement, cause the last I checked whether ban or pre-ban, the barrel on a rifle cannot be less than 16in. and thats including assault rifles. And the barrel on a shotgun cannot be less than 18 inches either. So my question again to you, Are you Law enforcement??
Old 11-10-2008, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by texasglock23
That makes no sense, buying a weapon doesn't necessarily translate to buying brand new off the shelf "premium" guns. There are unknown numbers of guns circulating already. You can ****** a used rifle for cheap depending on where you look. If you do not think there will be any "meaningful gun bans" you are mistaken. Any attempt or small successful ban or limit is meaningful...and to answer your second question, yes we have. Except now there is a rush to get them before any ridiculous bans are implimented.

Do you not pay for premium parts for your cars if there are money well spent in your mind? What about wheels and tires? Brands of clothes, food, drinks?

If a certain beverage or food item was to be banned and you loved it, woulnd't you scoop up a bunch? Cuban cigars ring a bell? Nothing special about them other than they are not to be imported.
1. When did I say anything about "brand new" or "premium" guns?

2. Food/beverage/cigars are consumables. Guns are not. My point was that if owning a certain rifle was such a huge deal to someone, why don't they already have it?

3. I know there is a rush to buy up guns, and it's being touted by those with a vested interest in selling the guns to the overly paranoid public. Retailers don't seem to think they will be banned, or they'd just hang onto them and sell them post-ban.

4. How am I mistaken that there won't be any meaningful gun bans? You know the future? I'm simply asserting my opinion, unlike you who claims your view as fact. I;m simply banking on the fact that in the last 50 years, there's been no meaningful gun bans, and I would expect the same for the next 50. We've had democratic governments before, and we all still own an AK-47, an AR-15, scoped hunting rifles, hunting shotguns and defense shotguns (well, at least that's what I own)
Old 11-10-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fastvet
?????? 14inch barrel???? Are you Law enforcement, cause the last I checked whether ban or pre-ban, the barrel on a rifle cannot be less than 16in. and thats including assault rifles. And the barrel on a shotgun cannot be less than 18 inches either. So my question again to you, Are you Law enforcement??
civilians can have any length (rifle or shortgun) (according to fed laws that is)
Old 11-10-2008, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by aggiez28
civilians can have any length (rifle or shortgun) (according to fed laws that is)
Wha?

Never heard of the NFA?
Old 11-10-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sooner Todd
Wha?

Never heard of the NFA?
yup. you may want to look it over if you disagree with me.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

You need to look that law up again bro. Thats why sawed off shotguns are illegal. and those ar 15 that come out in movies with a 12inch barrel are illegal as hell too. Not putting you on the spot, but I just recently acquired a short shotgun built by a friend. I thought it was illegal so I took it to this crooked *** shop and they looked it up with me in the book. the shotgun had to be 18inch and no less than 26in. overall. it talked about the rifles too, not to have less than a 16inch barrel.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need to look that law up again bro. Thats why sawed off shotguns are illegal. and those ar 15 that come out in movies with a 12inch barrel are illegal as hell too. Not putting you on the spot, but I just recently acquired a short shotgun built by a friend. I thought it was illegal so I took it to this crooked *** shop and they looked it up with me in the book. the shotgun had to be 18inch and no less than 26in. overall. it talked about the rifles too, not to have less than a 16inch barrel.
actually, you may want to revisit the laws, you were missinformed. short barral weapons are not illegal. I am in the process of building a 7.5" AR 100% legally.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:01 PM

yup. you may want to look it over if you disagree with me.
http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/nfa.htm

§ 5845. Definitions

For the purpose of this chapter --

(a) Firearm. -- The term "firearm" means (1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (5) any other weapon, as defined in subsection (e); (6) a machinegun; (7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and (8) a destructive device. The term "firearm" shall not include an antique firearm or any device (other than a machinegun or destructive device) which, although designed as a weapon, the Secretary finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is primarily a collector's item and is not likely to be used as a weapon.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:06 PM

actually, you may want to revisit the laws, you were missinformed. short barral weapons are not illegal. I am in the process of building a 7.5" AR 100% legally.
They aren't "illegal", but when you say "civilians can have any length" it's misleading, since it's a firearm and not a rifle or shotgun, and therefore is subject to different rules such as the paperwork, etc. It would be illegal for Joe Schmoe to just have one without following the special provisions.

I mean civilians "can" have SAWs and explosives, too...
Old 11-10-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

§ 5845. Definitions

(a) Firearm. -- The term "firearm" means (1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (5) any other weapon, as defined in subsection (e); (6) a machinegun; (7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and (8) a destructive device. The term "firearm" shall not include an antique firearm or any device (other than a machinegun or destructive device) which, although designed as a weapon, the Secretary finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is primarily a collector's item and is not likely to be used as a weapon.

ok???
Old 11-10-2008, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

§ 5845. Definitions

I knew I wasnt wrong. Like I said that would make a sawed off shotgun of about 12inches Legal, which there is no way in hell that will happen!!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

They aren't "illegal", but when you say "civilians can have any length" it's misleading, since it's a firearm and not a rifle or shotgun, and therefore is subject to different rules such as the paperwork, etc. It would be illegal for Joe Schmoe to just have one without following the special provisions.

I mean civilians "can" have SAWs and explosives, too...
its just as missleading as someone saying they are illegal. they are legal like any other rifle/shotgun but they are just registereded and transfered differently.

I knew I wasnt wrong. Like I said that would make a sawed off shotgun of about 12inches Legal, which there is no way in hell that will happen!!
sorry to burst your bubble but you were wrong.

FYI you can make your shotgun legal if you are worried about it being illegal.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

As far as i know the only "legal" way for you to be in possession of that weapon is to own a class III manufacturing license.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
As far as i know the only "legal" way for you to be in possession of that weapon is to own a class III manufacturing license.
nope, no licence or permits are required.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

its just as missleading as someone saying they are illegal. they are legal like any other rifle/shotgun but they are just registereded and transfered differently.

sorry to burst your bubble but you were wrong.

FYI you can make your shotgun legal if you are worried about it being illegal.

Elite Hotrod has hit it right on the nail! You need a license or you have to be a law enforcement agent! If you have neither, I'd put a hold on that weapon your building. Like they say, "ignorance is no excuse". Either way, have fun bro!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Elite Hotrod has hit it right on the nail! You need a license or you have to be a law enforcement agent! If you have neither, I'd put a hold on that weapon your building. Like they say, "ignorance is no excuse". Either way, have fun bro!
wrong again. no licence or permit is required to own or build a weapon like the one in question. the ATF has all the info on their website if you want to learn about it.

NFA weapons (like the ones defined above) are legal to own w/o a permit or licence. you just have to pay a tax on them.

its threads liek this that help spread BAD/WRONG info. Glad I could help clear things up
Old 11-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

If you guys are wanting one real soon and find a dealer with one in stock you may want to ****** it up. I work with a guy who is a gun dealer on the side. He said last Friday he called around to 5 or 6 companys wanting to order an AR. The wait time at minimum was 7 months. Certain calibers were over a year wait. Everybody must have the same thoughts about what Obama is going to do.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wrong again. no licence or permit is required to own or build a weapon like the one in question. the ATF has all the info on their website if you want to learn about it.

NFA weapons (like the ones defined above) are legal to own w/o a permit or licence. you just have to pay a tax on them.

its threads liek this that help spread BAD/WRONG info. Glad I could help clear things up

This guy speaks the truth.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

i went into the local gun store here in waco saturday to pick up a new handgun, and wow i couldnt find a parking spot, they only had l few ar15s left and i heard them say their warehouse was empty. i dont really have a need for one id like to have a good m14 at least that serves a lil more functionality as a hunting rifle possibly. Im happy with my new Glock 21 i picked up though, and i am thinking about stocking up on a good amount of ammo over the next cpl months in case any huge tax increases on guns and ammo, and if the day never comes o well i just wont have to buy rounds for a while....
Old 11-10-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

WORD!

Feel free to read and learn folks!
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu...st/nfa_faq.txt