Old 12-17-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats man. Sounds like a beast!
Old 12-18-2008, 07:51 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys!

We plan to put her to the test come January 9th. I think we have her dialed in to go straight now. If not, we'll put her on some scales.

It's gonna be fun!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:58 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the compliments James - we're glad we could help you. We are excited for the next race season to start!

We hope that you and your family have a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

David, Sherry & the Crew at Circle D Transmission
Old 12-20-2008, 11:17 PM
10 Second Club

Good luck next season. I think this car is pretty amazing considering all the facts. Erik, you build some killer motors. May be calling you in the future for a engine.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is this thing sleeved?!
I didn't think you could really take the 6.2 block out past 4.100", and that's if you're lucky/NA only. 4.100" bore with a 4.185" stroke crank is only 442 ci. And nobody runs that long of a throw. What gives?
Old 01-11-2009, 03:19 PM

No it's not sleeved and we didn't take the cylinders anywhere near 4.100".

Erik would have to be the one to elaborate on the build. He's the builder. I just beat on it.lol.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
No it's not sleeved and we didn't take the cylinders anywhere near 4.100".

Erik would have to be the one to elaborate on the build. He's the builder. I just beat on it.lol.
Than is it running the ERL superdeck?! With a 4.25" stroke!? I hope Erik stops by here, cuz this just doesn't add up. 4.08x4.25 = 444?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

Yes it has a 4.250 stroke in it and a very different piston for NA use only. No NOS on this one at all. The block is just a normal L92 block.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought about a 4.25" stroke for a hot minute. I'm just not experienced enough of an engine builder to think that I could keep massive oil consumption away. Even talked Brian Nutter at Wiseco about pistons for it. With different rods here were the approximate CH of the required pistons:

7.12-6.200 rod= 0.920 CH
7.12-6.125 rod= 0.995 CH wiseco says “a touch of n2o, preferably NOT”
7.12-6.1 rod= 1.02 CH
7.12-6.067= 1.053
7.12-6.0 rod= 1.12 CH

That's some pioneering work Erik! Do you mind me asking what CH and ring pack you ended up using?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:24 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are there lil mice to help the rings go back in the bore?
thats a big stroke!
Old 01-11-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TJ
are there lil mice to help the rings go back in the bore?
thats a big stroke!
It sure works though! Congrats to Erik and the OP on haulin' ***! Any oil consumption at all? How many miles so far?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

Yeah special rings and special pistons with special skirts but also this is a weekend warrior and bracket racing car used for drag racing mostly and not ton's of street only driving. This setup is definitely out there and we are just looking forward to seeing how it runs. Like I said it's not an NOS setup in the least!

Remember I've already done quite a few of these with other makes and models and it all depends on the application as to what will work. You need a whole lot more CH on a power adder piston. On an NA piston the ring lands can be thinner and in fact the top ring land will be higher as well if it can be due to relief depths etc.

We can max out any setup more when we have a narrower intended and expected usage window such as NA only etc. When you need something to do a million things it has to stay way more compromised and you can't do as much with it.

Of course with more windage and more stroke, oil consumption has to be thought about a lot, as it will be somewhat higher potentially but we did a few things with that and we will see how it all works this year.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:39 PM

We have made 13 passes so far and that was just to get our license passes in. We do have a vacuum pump, but the catch can has pulled a comparable amount of oil to our mild street 408 Erik built. I would bet the rings are just starting to break in. The power is freaking amazing in comparison.

The tracks around here are now closed for the season. We never got a solid hit off the line because we needed to get safe clean passes in and the one that I did push harder carried me to the 60 ft mark and got me out of the groove so I had to lift. It went a 1.31 60ft so there's a lot more in her. The cars AFR is quite rich on the top end also so we'll have her dialed in soon.

We should be one of the quickest footbrake cars if not the quickest competing at our local track and this engine will see extreme conditions in both bracket and heads up index racing. Erik is very comfortable with his engine build and our excessive racing activity. We tell it all good or bad. This car rolls hard!

I can honestly see mid to low 9.3Xs on this pump gas combo. I now have the front end tighten up with some Mad Man analysis so she should go straight on the next trip out.

It is also primarily driven by my wife and since she beat my 1/4 mile passes, she must not be too scared I got stuck with the slower car this year
Old 01-11-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
We have made 13 passes so far and that was just to get our license passes in. We do have a vacuum pump, but the catch can has pulled a comparable amount of oil to our mild street 408 Erik built. I would bet the rings are just starting to break in. The power is freaking amazing in comparison.

The tracks around here are now closed for the season. We never got a solid hit off the line because we needed to get safe clean passes in and the one that I did push harder carried me to the 60 ft mark and got me out of the groove so I had to lift. It went a 1.31 60ft so there's a lot more in her. The cars AFR is quite rich on the top end also so we'll have her dialed in soon.

We should be one of the quickest footbrake cars if not the quickest competing at our local track and this engine will see extreme conditions in both bracket and heads up index racing. Erik is very comfortable with his engine build and our excessive racing activity. We tell it all good or bad. This car rolls hard!

I can honestly see mid to low 9.3Xs on this pump gas combo. I now have the front end tighten up with some Mad Man analysis so she should go straight on the next trip out.

It is also primarily driven by my wife and since she beat my 1/4 mile passes, she must not be too scared I got stuck with the slower car this year
Ahhh is that why you've been coming over to SAR?
Old 01-11-2009, 07:53 PM

Actually we have only been running our slower car at SAR. We wanted to make a trip with Ol' Blue, but it just didn't happen.

It won't be long though
Old 01-11-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1.3 60 and 9.3 n/a!!! Crazy. I luv this site. Cool to see what an LSX can do when built to the hilt!

Quick Reply: Project 445 stroker is alive!