Discount Tire

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZFSix
That sucks that you had to pay discount to fix your tire, since they do it for free. Looks like you're gettin real far.
Wow what a genius, as far as myself and others know, if you didn't have your tires installed by discount tire they wont fix your flat for free...

BTW ZFSix you also sound to me like the kinda of retard that Discount Tire would welcome into the family.... So sad you are not with them anymore....

Plugs soak in water and rust the steel - Too funny
Old 12-19-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

A lot of dudes at Discount Tire are retarded. The smart guys seem to move on to other stuff. This is based on my little experience at a few Discount Tires, so please don't get offended if you work at Discount. I've only been here for 8 months and I've been looking for another job for 5, lol. The pay's pretty damn good for what I do though, so it kinda evens out.

The checking the wrong tire thing could've been the sales guy (writing it wrong), or the tech (reading it wrong), but either way it was definitely their fault, and if you hadn't said something they would've let you go with a screw still in your tire, lol. It seems like when it gets busy, most of the rules go out the window, we're just supposed to move cars. A **** the customer, get the cars outta here type of mood by the managers (at the 4 stores I've worked/helped at). Rotate and Balances turn into straight rotations, and we don't check the air, we stop washing white walls, so they roll around with blue letters instead of white, we never dunk flat tires in the dip tank (tub full of water), so we have no idea if that's the only place that was leaking, or if it's still leaking after we fix it.

I would suggest finding a dude you trust that works at Discount Tire (ask around on local forums), or at least stand out there and watch them work on your car. If you see something wrong, try not to be a douche about it, just point it out, or ask why they did what they did. If the dude isn't retarded (like some of the guys unfortunately are...) then they'll either teach you why they're right or fix what they're doing wrong. But seems like sometimes they'll lie to you to make sure they don't have to work as hard, or if they don't know the answer. I hate watching a salesguy talk out of their *** to a customer (especially a dude I refer to my store), just because they can't say "I don't know".

Or cruise out to Austin and I'll take care of your car, whatever it is. If I'm still there, lol.

Also though, fwiw, the sales guys at Discount do have a lot of training behind them and know a lot about tires, so don't go in there thinking they're all retarded about everything, lol. There's a lot of great sales guys that go way out of their way to please a customer, you just gotta be careful when you first start dealing with a guy, because he could possibly be retarded. Also, the Store Manager (owner of the store) usually knows his **** inside out, so if anything ever goes wrong, talk to the store manager, he'll usually do whatever he can to make it right. You have to be pretty dedicated to own your own store, plus good referrals are a great way to get business.

Last edited by Texas 02 Z28; 12-19-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

And guess what, I was one of those "sales guys" with a lot I training an probably know more about tires than anyone posting in this thread. But like I said, not worth arguing over, so you Internet junkies go back to posting your little hearts away, because y'all are so cool.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Actually, they do fix them for free, customer or not, as long as it's nothing out of the ordinary like plus size wheels, big tires, etc..

Call me a retard, I don't care man, I'm not going to lose sleep over some douche calling me a name on the Internet. So please, keep the insults coming, I enjoy the entertainment.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, they do fix them for free, customer or not, as long as it's nothing out of the ordinary like plus size wheels, big tires, etc..

Call me a retard, I don't care man, I'm not going to lose sleep over some douche calling me a name on the Internet. So please, keep the insults coming, I enjoy the entertainment.

*** Hole!!!! JK kidding man some people, boy these e thugs are dangerous!
Old 12-19-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well somewhat being on ZFSIX's side. Im an ASE Certified technician at Firestone and our GS's do repair tires there but do NOT use those PIECE OF **** plugs you buy from auto stores they use plug/patches its actually a patch with a plug built into the middle. YES using those shitty *** plugs in a SAFE part of the tire might get you by and it might not but i love the ******* retards that put those stick in plugs in sidewalls of tires and too close to the edge of the tread(quit being ******* cheap asses and buy a tire)
Old 12-19-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think you're referring mainly to me, lol. For what it's worth, I didn't mean to come off as insulting you or calling you retarded, I know absolutely nothing about you, especially not enough to judge you.

Just sharing my experience with the company so far. I'm sure there's Discount Tires a million times better than mine and a million times worse, but that's just my experience, so please take it with a grain of salt.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive been with discount for 6 years pays good(just trying to get through school) and i can pretty much do what i want, we used to charge to repair and it would be a credit towards ur next purchase, stopped that and now we do it for free customer or not. and no the plugs u use at auto zone are not the same we use this is what we follow http://www.rma.org/ if you dont like the store dont got there its that simple just a lesson learned. i have my complaints about my job but i keep on ^^^^and ur right there are better and there are worst stores.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Teching In

My boyfriend works at the Discount in La Porte on the weekends and he said they do flat repairs for free as long as they arent ridiculous. For example if you come in in a jacked up f250 on 37" tires with 3 nails in each tire and you didnt buy any thing from us then they may charge labor but not for the patches themselves. But its all in who you deal with, you have those good discounts and you have the bad ones
Old 12-19-2008, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

The one I went to charged me $25 to fix a flat on a tire that I didn't buy from them(they came new on the car). I have probably bought 25 sets of tires from them in the past. So, I decided to buy tires from Tire Rack for my 21" BMW rims. Discount was on average of $475/tire. Tire Rack was having a huge sale and they were $154/tire. I went up there to have them price match and they said no way. So, I ordered the tires and went to Discount to have them put on. He told me $294 to mount and balance all 4 tires because I did not buy them from Discount. I told the manager he was crazy and went down the street to an independent tire shop and they charged me $15/tire to mount and balance. Needless to say, I will never go back to Discount again.

John
Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pennys58
The one I went to charged me $25 to fix a flat on a tire that I didn't buy from them(they came new on the car). I have probably bought 25 sets of tires from them in the past. So, I decided to buy tires from Tire Rack for my 21" BMW rims. Discount was on average of $475/tire. Tire Rack was having a huge sale and they were $154/tire. I went up there to have them price match and they said no way. So, I ordered the tires and went to Discount to have them put on. He told me $294 to mount and balance all 4 tires because I did not buy them from Discount. I told the manager he was crazy and went down the street to an independent tire shop and they charged me $15/tire to mount and balance. Needless to say, I will never go back to Discount again.

John
thats bad *** i dont know what the **** some of these managers are doing these days ill take anybodys money who walks through that door
Old 12-19-2008, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

The discount on Spring-Cypress just fixed an original equipment tire on my truck for free. Done in about 10 minutes.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
ive been with discount for 6 years pays good(just trying to get through school) and i can pretty much do what i want, we used to charge to repair and it would be a credit towards ur next purchase, stopped that and now we do it for free customer or not. and no the plugs u use at auto zone are not the same we use this is what we follow http://www.rma.org/ if you dont like the store dont got there its that simple just a lesson learned. i have my complaints about my job but i keep on ^^^^and ur right there are better and there are worst stores.
I don't go to discount unless this man is there^^^

Izzy's the ****
Old 12-20-2008, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use to work for DTC for 7yrs. People do make mistakes there. It happens just like any where else you go. They will make it right though. DTC uses a patch plug system. Not just a plug you buy from Wally World. There is lots of time and money spent on training there. Walk in the door with an attitude and you will get no where. I use to bend over backwards for people who came in and asked for help. The stores I worked at on average repaired 30-40 flats a day if you bought the tires there or not. It's a way to gain a customer. Expecting them to do it for free is crazy! That's like buying a chevy and taking it to a BMW dealer and asking them to fix your car for free.