Discount Tire

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 04:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discount Tire

So I go in because I got a flat on my DD yesterday. No big deal, saw it was flat found the nail dead center on the tire and went in, ordered two new tires but weren't in stock. I tell the guy just repair the Driver Side Rear until the tires get here next week. Manager says alright and the tire guy comes in and is told Left Side Rear. 40 minutes later the manager walks in and says well they found a small screw and it wasn't big enough to cause a leak so they are just going to put it back on the car.

I sat there thinking to myself, a screw huh and not enough to cause a leak, that thing was flat when he pulled it in and that nail is atleast 3 in. judging by the head of it....

I get up walk outside and what do you know.... both the manager I told Driver Side Rear and the tire guy who he told Left Side Rear were standing there by the machine putting the tire on while my car is jacked up and the Right Side Rear rim and tire is off.

I was like no leak huh - Might want to take off the Driver Side Rear since originally that's what I came in for..

Manager is like oh yeah

Hour and Half later I finally get to leave - Next time I'm bringing post it notes
Old 12-19-2008, 05:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

has happened to me at firestone. i had a nail, they took the tire off the rim and didnt balance it afterwards or tell me the took the tire off. so i drive down the street and feel a hard vibration, come back and tell them to balance it. long story short they balanced the wrong tire after i took it back in so something that should have taken ten minutes if i plugged it myself took me a whole afternoon

lesson? buy a tire plug kit from walmart for $5 and save a headache lol
Old 12-19-2008, 07:02 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, buy the plug kit and ruin your tire. Great idea.

Sucks that they screwed up, sometimes you gotta keep an eye on those guys out there.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

both the manager I told Driver Side Rear and the tire guy who he told Left Side Rear were standing there by the machine putting the tire on while my car is jacked up and the Right Side Rear rim and tire is off.
the way it sounds he told the kid the right tire just the person who did it messed up... idk i think of it from the back of the car so driverside left and pass right
Old 12-19-2008, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

either way, it still stupid. The tech should have used common sence and seen that it was obviusly not that tire!
Old 12-19-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZFSix
Yeah, buy the plug kit and ruin your tire. Great idea.
why exactly would it ruin your tire? its NOT exactly rocket science repairing a ****** tire
Old 12-19-2008, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

I have gotten 4 new tires at discount.. Driven off from there getting on the highway, I notice that the **** is jumping all over the highway, and is crazy...

I pull off and start looking.. They ******* forgot to balance all the rims... WTF....
This was a plano discount.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AGRV8D
why exactly would it ruin your tire? its NOT exactly rocket science repairing a ****** tire
The plugs are made from material that will soak water into them. Yes, you drive on water sometimes. What is inside of a tire? Steel belts. Tell me what happens when water sits on steel for a long time.

They also aren't very reliable. Discount Tire fixes tires for free (even if it's the wrong tire ) so just go get a tire fixed and move on.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

The plugs are made from material that will soak water into them. Yes, you drive on water sometimes. What is inside of a tire? Steel belts. Tell me what happens when water sits on steel for a long time.

They also aren't very reliable. Discount Tire fixes tires for free (even if it's the wrong tire ) so just go get a tire fixed and move on.
they use the EXACT same materials at discount that you can buy at the auto store and repair yourself.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Dunno, what kind of tire repair kit you bought but the one i have doesnt soak water into it. So instead go to discount where you will end up having this happen to you?
Old 12-19-2008, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

I tend not to plug my tires with cotton, so I don't think my repair kit leaks water. I actually repaired a tire a year or so ago, and when I bought new ones...wah lah, NO WATER. I'm sorry for being facetious, but this is the first I've ever heard of this.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most people that don't use plugs probably don't know how to properly install one.... even as easy as they are.

If its an air tight seal wouldn't you think its water tight as well?
Old 12-19-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

they use the EXACT same materials at discount that you can buy at the auto store and repair yourself.
Do they? Well hell I guess the 3 years I spent working for Discount Tire didn't teach me anything about repairing tires, the construction of tires, why they fail, common symptoms, etc...

So, you can buy materials to repair a tire at the auto store, I don't doubt that. But let's see you repair them the same way Discount Tire does, by taking the tire off, putting a rubber plug through the hole, then a patch on the inside with 2 layers of sealer.

Also, can you see where the hole went through from the outside of the tire? A lot of the time, you end up creating another hole when you stab the punch through the tire to insert the plug. I've seen it over and over and over again man.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PatriotT/A
I tend not to plug my tires with cotton, so I don't think my repair kit leaks water. I actually repaired a tire a year or so ago, and when I bought new ones...wah lah, NO WATER. I'm sorry for being facetious, but this is the first I've ever heard of this.
I never said water goes into the inside of the tire, I said it goes into the steel belts. Did you cut your tire apart and see if there was any damage? I doubt it...
Old 12-19-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

There's no sense in arguing about this, y'all are right and plugs are 100% safe for your car, especially your modded ls1 car that you race, and I am wrong. My apologies.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

So, you can buy materials to repair a tire at the auto store, I don't doubt that. But let's see you repair them the same way Discount Tire does, by taking the tire off, putting a rubber plug through the hole, then a patch on the inside with 2 layers of sealer.
yes i can do the same **** that discount does, its just a waste of my time, which is why i pay ******** (experts) such as you to do it for me.... keep on keepin on dude... hope you move up the ladder at the tire store
Old 12-19-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

yes i can do the same **** that discount does, its just a waste of my time, which is why i pay ******** (experts) such as you to do it for me.... keep on keepin on dude... hope you move up the ladder at the tire store
Read my post genius, WORKED there.

That sucks that you had to pay discount to fix your tire, since they do it for free. Looks like you're gettin real far.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol.... you're funny

edit: they fix tires for free even if they were not purchased there previously?
Old 12-19-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

And you're a dumbass!
Old 12-19-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

not so much but if you would like to keep calling me a dumbass, then bring it over to PM.... i happen to be in the spring area right now.