Driving slow in the fast lane....

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
what is is the speed limit on 820?

I'm usually driving 70-80 mph on the highway/freeways but if some *** hole comes behind me flashing their lights I will slow down to the speed limit...

The other day I was on the Beltway doing 80 and some *** in a Toyota can flying on my bumper flashing his lights so I slowed to 60
i do the same thing. if im doing ten over the limit and passing people that are going the limit, i'll be damned if i'm going to slow down, get over, and then have to speed back up to let some dingle berry in an acura do a ricer fly by.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:14 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
what is is the speed limit on 820?

I'm usually driving 70-80 mph on the highway/freeways but if some *** hole comes behind me flashing their lights I will slow down to the speed limit...

The other day I was on the Beltway doing 80 and some *** in a Toyota can flying on my bumper flashing his lights so I slowed to 60
Who knows. If they are willing to act that much like a jackass they may have had an emergency to tend to. Just let them pass and be on there way. You wont have someone on your *** and they wont want to shoot you.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Teching In

I Hate when people get over in the passing lane passing someone when they have about 2mph diff between the two cars takes them three miles to pass >.<!!!!

If someone catches you while your speeding... go faster if your going to get caught spedding might as well make it worth it ... go big or go home lol
Old 12-30-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people drive so damn slow in DFW. the police are almost non-existent in the metroplex, so i dunno why people are so slow.

back home in Boston... if your *** is ONLY going 75, you had best be in the middle lane, cuz some old lady is gonna be flippin you off! and thats with all the state police running undercover jeeps and toyota camarys!
Old 12-31-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Junkie

My mom does this every time she gets on the freeway and it drives me up the wall. The other day I was riding with her on Beltway 8 and she was doing 65 in the fast lane. We almost got killed like 12 times.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:34 AM
Launching!

I drive trucks cross country and I'll be damned if Tx (Houston especially) is not in the top ten worse places to drive. #1 pp NO turn signals, What is it with Texans not using turn signals? and oh Ya getting in the fast lane crawling along, I set my cruise control in my truck to typically 3-6 over and let it go, if I signal to pass someone and get mid lenght it never fails, they will speed up , I get back over, they slow back down. I just love it though when after three or four times of this I just hammer down and haul *** around them in my semi at 80 or 86 mph lol.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mariojmoe
#1 pp NO turn signals, What is it with Texans not using turn signals?

If someone see's your turn signal here, they will do everything in their power from letting you over. I adopted a policy some 10 years ago. My turn signal isn't asking, it's telling. I rarely use it on the interstate, but if I do be assure my truck is coming over.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, a turn signal is not a suggestion. I can't tell you how many times in traffic people see me flip on my signals, there is space in front of them, and they speed up to not let me in. What do I do, go right where there nose is and watch them swerve into the next lane.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sharpe
In IL, it's not illegal. Wish it was; everything else is.
Actually.... in IL its illegal to not move over for faster traffic. And on top of that, its actually illegal to "cruise" in the passing lane. Its for passing only.

Also, don't forget! Pull to the right for sirens and lights!
Old 12-31-2008, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cttandy
If someone see's your turn signal here, they will do everything in their power from letting you over. I adopted a policy some 10 years ago. My turn signal isn't asking, it's telling. I rarely use it on the interstate, but if I do be assure my truck is coming over.
totally agree, if im in traffic i never use my signal because then they will speed up and close the gap, i just make my move.

everyday driving i use it normal. people are ******** fosho.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SpaZMaN
Also, don't forget! Pull to the right for sirens and lights!
Depends here.

You must move to the opposite lane for emergency vehicles stopped on the shoulder when they have their lights on or slow to 20mph below the speed limit.

Interesting story about that.

My wife and I were heading to our farm and I had the cruise set at the speed limit in the right lane when this woman came flying up on my butt. There was traffic in the passing lane, so she just decided to ride my rear. About 5 feet off my rear that is. I noticed a state trooper with his lights on ahead on the shoulder and I began to slow down to 20mph below because I could not get over safely. What does stupid do? She starts to pass me on the right shoulder. As soon as she got over, she saw John Law sitting there and pulled back in behind me and stopped tailgating. As soon as I passed the police cruiser, I resumed the speed limit. She, on the other hand, decided to blast past me on the left at least 20 over. I told my wife that the lady must have been someone important.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
Yep, a turn signal is not a suggestion. I can't tell you how many times in traffic people see me flip on my signals, there is space in front of them, and they speed up to not let me in. What do I do, go right where there nose is and watch them swerve into the next lane.
LOL, try driving an 18 wheeler around for just a day. it's a lot easier for them to do that to me because i'm 70 feet long, and i do the same thing you do - when i put my blinker on and they pull that speeding up ****, i just come on over anyway and watch 'em dive off into another lane. then they come driving by me and tell me i'm number one, and i just smile and wave
Old 01-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
LOL, try driving an 18 wheeler around for just a day. it's a lot easier for them to do that to me because i'm 70 feet long, and i do the same thing you do - when i put my blinker on and they pull that speeding up ****, i just come on over anyway and watch 'em dive off into another lane. then they come driving by me and tell me i'm number one, and i just smile and wave
Well said Randy, I also hate it when they jump in front of us going highway speed then hit thier brakes, you go around them (while thanking God there was no one in the other lane you had to swing into) pass them up and they're on the phone yappin away. Life driving a truck
Old 01-01-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mariojmoe
Well said Randy, I also hate it when they jump in front of us going highway speed then hit thier brakes, you go around them (while thanking God there was no one in the other lane you had to swing into) pass them up and they're on the phone yappin away. Life driving a truck
I regularly pull a trailer, I am not 70 feet long, but around 50 feet or so depending on which vehicle I pull with. You just get to a point that your going no matter what. I have run people off the road, and had people not paying attention, change lanes right into my trailer before. Life's fun with a trailer.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
If there is room when I turn my signal on, then they can either leave that room on I'll push my way over.

Anyone notice how people will not stay in a lane if someone is in front of them? They can be going the same speed and if the lane next to them is open they'll get over and maintain the same speed next to the other car.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Anyone notice how people will not stay in a lane if someone is in front of them? They can be going the same speed and if the lane next to them is open they'll get over and maintain the same speed next to the other car.
well, to be honest part of that is wanting to be able to see the farthest distance in front of you as possible, and you can't do that when you're riding behind somebody. the best way to do that though is behind and to the right or left of somebody, not riding right next to them as you are saying. that aggravates me too
Old 01-03-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SpaZMaN
Actually.... in IL its illegal to not move over for faster traffic. And on top of that, its actually illegal to "cruise" in the passing lane. Its for passing only.
Not according to my Illinois Vehicle Code instructor, a retired ISP trooper. I flat out asked. After that, I never really checked out ILCS since I don't do much traffic.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Not according to my Illinois Vehicle Code instructor, a retired ISP trooper. I flat out asked. After that, I never really checked out ILCS since I don't do much traffic.
the laws vary from state to state. in texas, the left lane is for passing only
Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
HA HA Randy as you know i to drive 18 wheeler but its a little different becuase i put my 65 ft long truck in downtown and subdivisions every day. I use the 3 blink rule ,once i signal my turn let it blink 3 times i;m coming over!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MY06TBSS
HA HA Randy as you know i to drive 18 wheeler but its a little different becuase i put my 65 ft long truck in downtown and subdivisions every day. I use the 3 blink rule ,once i signal my turn let it blink 3 times i;m coming over!!!
LOL, that's me too. 3 blink rule