Texas State Troopers are....

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tons of respect for the men and women in the armed forces, as well as officers all over the nation. Keep up the good work!
Old 12-30-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think ill chime in on this one. When me and a buddy were both 19 a pair of TX Troopers riding together locked us in at 136 in a 65. My buddy pulled over. Ended up getting a lecture and a ticket for 85. The trooper said he wanted him to be able to get it off his record. I still remember that guy's name and he remembers me because I ran into him at the doctors office not too long ago. I would have never stopped.....
Ive had my share of run ins with TX troopers and for the most part they havent been that bad. Well, except the one for no muffler on my diesel and the other for 80 in a 70 when I had my cruise set on 75. The muffler ticket left a sour taste. I was way out in the country.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

actually that fool didn't say anything or look at my car you and roger took the verbal abuse...lol maybe because its stealth
Old 12-30-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Haha sounds like sams last weekend ( 3 days ago ) went to wafflehouse on 6 and 10 and the cop in the parking lot tryed to harass me.. just becase im in a trans am... GAH
Old 12-30-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got busted the other day in my cobalt for 90 in a 65 i had to leave work early to go to the chiropractor. and only had 30 minutes to do a 45 minute drive he came up and said he clocked me running 90 in a 65 and asked if there was a medical condition preventing me from wearing my seatbelt when i had just taken it off (20% tint) i had my id and insurance already in the window for him a little bit later he come back and said he wrote me a ticket and to help me out a bit he cut it down to 75 in a 65 and said you do realize the reason i pulled you over right? and i said yes sir your just out here doing your job everyday like i go to work and do my job every day and i realize i was going too fast but im on my way to the chiropractor to get my neck back and hip realigned and i had to leave work early to do so. but i fully understand you giving me the ticket. he then said let me see that ticket (i was thinking ahhhh **** back to 90 in a 65) he ripped it in half and said have a nice day and slow down a bit and walked back to his car. i got the hell out of there before he changed his mind
Old 12-30-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

The last time I got pulled over I was doing 65 in a 70 coming back from Austin. He said my tint looked a little dark and checked it. Wrote me a warning for having 7% and once he realized I wasnt trasporting drugs he was cool as ****. But that was in the dodge.

The only good experiance I have had with law enforcment in my Trans Am was a Constable. It's funny how their attitudes can change by what you drive. I still drive the same way, my attitude is still the same but they tend to be a lot nicer when I'm in my truck.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got pulled over a couple of weeks ago by DPS, my first time being pulled over by DPS and it was for a brake light out on a trailer. He asked if it was my truck (no) my trailer, (no) then what I was doing driving it. He ran my license, noted 2-3 other violations on the truck/trailer and then let me go with a written warning. Now had it been my truck, or my trailer I am sure the full arm of the law would have come down on me.

My only bad encounter was with a Galveston motorcycle officer a couple of weeks before Christmas.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brady346
Well, except the one for no muffler on my diesel and the other for 80 in a 70 when I had my cruise set on 75. The muffler ticket left a sour taste. I was way out in the country.
Double check that law. Im not 100% on it but I THINK a turbo is considered a muffler in texas. Could be wrong though.

Troopers are a different type of officer 99% of the time. Mostly during the Holidays they are just out looking for DWIs to keep everyone on the road safe. I got pulled over this weekend for too wide right turn. He said i almost hit him but i never left my lane didnt argue with him as he gave me a warning and i knew if was just a reason to double check and make sure everything was kosher

Most a trooper got me for was 14x in a 65 in my 92 Z28. I got a ticket for 14X in a 65
Old 12-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Was running late for work in my truck got a ticket for 98 in a 65. I expected a long lecture about how I could of killed someone or myself. But much to my surprise he simply wrote the ticket like it was a 2-3 over costed me about 230 (was on 1788 right before the overpass). As said before though everytime im in my car officers attitude change alot!!!!
Old 12-31-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

man, i NEVER see state police in the metroplex. maybe seen 5 in three years. are they mostly outside the metroplex? like on the long endless highways between the major metro areas?
Old 12-31-2008, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
man, i NEVER see state police in the metroplex. maybe seen 5 in three years. are they mostly outside the metroplex? like on the long endless highways between the major metro areas?
I have seen them a few times in the city, but yea they tend to stay out on the highways from major city to another.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tillery
Texas(or any state) Troopers are a different breed of law enforcement. Its the city cops who are dick heads.
Very true, Texas Dps VERY cool, laid back respectful no issues. HPd = 90% are total ****ng Dick heads on a severe power trip with nothing better to do.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mariojmoe
Very true, Texas Dps VERY cool, laid back respectful no issues. HPd = 90% are total ****ng Dick heads on a severe power trip with nothing better to do.
Hi Mario,

It used to be the opposite for me. I was terrified of DPS (It was rumoured they are the Gustofov *sp* of law enforcement and give NO breaks) for the longest time and thought that HPD were the nice ones since I first started driving. It's actually the other way around. I've gotten pulled over 3 x's by DPS very courteous and only gotten warnings. I just got pulled over 2 days ago for expired inspection sticker (I didn't even notice too) and the DPS officer only checked me for insurance and let me on my way. HPD officers I've run into seem to have been not a bad bunch of folk either, you want to know a real group of a$$holes though? Try dealing with TABC agents, now that's a power trip and a half!
Old 12-31-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have always found troopers to be very cool as long as you're respectful, admit that you were wrong and tell them you will try to slow down. They've got a tough job to do and don't need any lip from any of us, just because we were speeding and don't want to pay the piper.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

honestly, its been hit or miss for my police experiences in DFW. my experiences with small town cops has been both very good and very bad. so far, my score is:
Dallas - Ticket, speeding (running a speed trap on an access road. attitude was of the revenue collection nature. wasnt rude, but didnt care to listen to your story)
Benbrook - Verbal Warning, speeding (officer was very friendly, down to earth)
Park Ranger at Joe Pool Lake - Verbal Warning, speeding (officer was a little brash at first, but was very friendly once i started talking to him)
Rhome - Ticket, speeding (Easily the worst police experience of my life. i was testing some vehicle repairs at 3am. the officer was beyond rude, on a power trip, and created multiple unsafe situations)

STAY OUT OF RHOME, TX!!! i've heard multiple bad stories about them, and they actually have speed cameras on 287.

my experiences with the law back home has been much worse
Old 12-31-2008, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
Yeah, you better be glad you don't live in one of those outlying areas. I do. And I hate it. DPS over here will hide behind bushes, in ditches, and sometimes there on foot with a Laser Gun and a radio.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02txceta
At what point these days are speeders in jeopardy of being hooked up...speed wise? Seemed to me years ago it was said that anything above 25 over speed limit and was a discretionary call..? I worked in a reserve status while going to school with Harris county...my Dad was a Trooper, and served with the Rangers at the end of his tenure with the state. Grandfather, and uncle also were Troopers....a whole gaggle of them..lol.
Technically, you can't go to jail in Texas for just a speeding infraction. The officer or Trooper has to be able to prove "Reckless Driving" then they can hook you up for that. Reckless Driving is pretty much a catch-all with the way it is written in the law book. Basically, if the LEO thinks you have endangered yourself or someone else to the extent of "Possibly" causing serious bodily injury or death. Example, gave a ticket for 118mph in a 55. We were the only 2 on the road in the middle of nowhere. Took a guy to jail for 78 in a 55, passing in a no passing zone (into oncoming traffic) and passing to the right when prohibited. That all added up to Reckless Driving in my eyes. Awesome that your family is prior DPS, much respect to those guys. They are the true backbone of DPS and built the reputation that most recognize about DPS.

Originally Posted by Trev_SS
I have tons of respect for the men and women in the armed forces, as well as officers all over the nation. Keep up the good work!
Thanks, I know I try. I can only speak for myself.

Originally Posted by Pwebbz28
Troopers are a different type of officer 99% of the time. Mostly during the Holidays they are just out looking for DWIs to keep everyone on the road safe. I got pulled over this weekend for too wide right turn. He said i almost hit him but i never left my lane didnt argue with him as he gave me a warning and i knew if was just a reason to double check and make sure everything was kosher

Most a trooper got me for was 14x in a 65 in my 92 Z28. I got a ticket for 14X in a 65
You are correct in the fact that mostly after 6PM we are hunting for DWI's. I catch some of mine though with the "Drunk Light" (the Rear LP light). About 1 out of every 4 cars at night have a Defective LP light.

Originally Posted by Ls1bandit02ws6
Was running late for work in my truck got a ticket for 98 in a 65. I expected a long lecture about how I could of killed someone or myself. But much to my surprise he simply wrote the ticket like it was a 2-3 over costed me about 230 (was on 1788 right before the overpass). As said before though everytime im in my car officers attitude change alot!!!!
1788 in Midland County?

Originally Posted by Trev_SS
I have seen them a few times in the city, but yea they tend to stay out on the highways from major city to another.
Yeah, we mostly stay out on the big stretches of highway. Although we do have some tollway Troopers working the DFW area.

Originally Posted by hj99Z
Yeah, you better be glad you don't live in one of those outlying areas. I do. And I hate it. DPS over here will hide behind bushes, in ditches, and sometimes there on foot with a Laser Gun and a radio.
We have to tricky,, when so many people have Radar detectors now.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

This is an interesting thread. I am always respectful when I get pulled over. Granted, it's been over a year now, though. I'm actually scared to street race now even when there's really no one else on the road or expressway, so I haven't done it in quite some time. I always wonder if I ever did get caught street racing in a "safe" situation if the officer would cut me some slack with just a speeding ticket.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 02txceta
At what point these days are speeders in jeopardy of being hooked up...speed wise? Seemed to me years ago it was said that anything above 25 over speed limit and was a discretionary call..? I worked in a reserve status while going to school with Harris county...my Dad was a Trooper, and served with the Rangers at the end of his tenure with the state. Grandfather, and uncle also were Troopers....a whole gaggle of them..lol.
30 and over is reckless driving. That's where you can go to jail easier.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WstTexas

We have to tricky,, when so many people have Radar detectors now.
do you guys have meetings like every week in austin? i always see lots of DPS cars,trucks and tahoes parked at a motel in austin.

also if you pull someone over with a radar detector will you give him a ticket? say instead of giving him a warning you would just give him the ticket since that person has a rd.

Quick Reply: Texas State Troopers are....