I need of a police officer or DPS

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the time if you get a traffic lawyer on a pacing ticket they will get it thrown out, this cop gave me one once for going 5mph over when my speedo said I was at 60 and the speed limit was 60, the lawyer got that one thrown out.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

if the Officer shows up it is not likely it will be thrown out. If is a simple 10 over violation it would be an expensive proposition to hire an Attorney for that. I can tell you that in my time only maybe 2-3 violations were thrown out, out of say 200....not likely.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Banned

I would show up for court on the day you are suppose to . I would enter a plea of not guilty and ask for a trial by jury . Do not go with the trial by judge . Do not enter "no lo" either . You have a decent chance that the police officer will not show up or will not remember the details of the case depending on how long it takes the court to give you a court date . Its not something thats easy or will go quickly but its worth it if you really want to stand up for yourself .
Old 01-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.davidsprecher.com/

Best lawyer you can get in Houston. Who pulled you over? HPD,Katy, Sheriff or DPS?
Old 01-05-2009, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thesource
I would show up for court on the day you are suppose to . I would enter a plea of not guilty and ask for a trial by jury . Do not go with the trial by judge . Do not enter "no lo" either . You have a decent chance that the police officer will not show up or will not remember the details of the case depending on how long it takes the court to give you a court date . Its not something thats easy or will go quickly but its worth it if you really want to stand up for yourself .
Trial by jury?.....lol are u kidding? It dont work like that. Bad advice. Talk to a lawyer and pay him to do his job, all he will do is talk to them and they will toss it. Dont go to court and pay court cost and all that BS.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by enigmah
So i cant fight it, because i wont be able to win. Even though this guy was saying he had already written 50+ tickets that night. As for getting a lawyer, you have to pay the ticket and then pay the lawyer?

As for lawyers, can anyone recommend any in the Katy area?
DAVID SPRECHER! (google it) I keep their business card in my wallet always . They got 4 warrants dismissed for me a few months back. Ended up being $90 or so per ticket if I remember correctly.

edit:
Originally Posted by jmorgan

Best lawyer you can get in Houston. Who pulled you over? HPD,Katy, Sheriff or DPS?

missed that post ^^. Agree 100%
Old 01-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Britt2020
Trial by jury?.....lol are u kidding? It dont work like that. Bad advice. Talk to a lawyer and pay him to do his job, all he will do is talk to them and they will toss it. Dont go to court and pay court cost and all that BS.

No trial by jury is much better, a lawyer will take it to trial by jury if it got that far. Even with a lawyer he still with have to go to court. But yes if you want to fight get a lawyer, if not just do DD.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

No trial by jury is much better, a lawyer will take it to trial by jury if it got that far. Even with a lawyer he still with have to go to court. But yes if you want to fight get a lawyer, if not just do DD.
It wont even go to trial court. If you hire a dedicated traffic lawyer you will only end up meeting with the district attorney.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by OnyxY2KSS
It wont even go to trial court. If you hire a dedicated traffic lawyer you will only end up meeting with the district attorney.
I had 2 friends with 5 tickets each, both got the same lawyer (Sprecher), they had to take it to trial (by jury) and the lawyer showed the cop did not have his facts strait or something and they both got off.

But for a speeding ticket you are correct, it wont get taken to court unless you really wanted to take it there (you have every legal right), the lawyer would probably get him deffered adjudication which he could get himself without a lawyer.

Its only one ticket just take DD or deffered adjudication.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok thanks for all the advice guys.

I have taken deffered adjudication and the other thing already I THINK, does it reset every begining of the year or from the time i do it?

Im not 100% on the time i did it ill have to go back and look but thats what i would try to do.

Was pulled over by, HC Sheriff'

And i have to go see William V Yeoman.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

You most likely took a defensive driving class. Think of deffered adjudication as a sort of probation. I'm thinking that as far as the time span goes... its 1 year from the last time you took DD.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:24 PM
10 Second Club

Deferred is the best way to go these days.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Deferreds time limit is up to the police to set and they get to keep most of the money, Defensive driving is once a year but most of the money goes to she state rather then the local gov, thats why they let you do deferred lots of money for them. The longer you tie the ticket up in court the more money it will cost the local gov also so most courts would rather settle and avoid actually going to court

On a side note i took deferred in dallas and the probation period was just that day so i could go get another ticket the very next day and do deferred again, it was crazy and in the end they just want money
Old 01-05-2009, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

sounds like speed step to me thats OT paid to write speeding tickets,,,, if the car is a police package car then it will have a cert speedo says right on the face certified.... and that is more reliable than radar... u can pace a car for about 1/8 mile to get his speed..... and ur right out of 21 yrs as a police i never had a case lost to an individ trying to fight his own ticket, and yes i bunch did..... trial by jury is ur option but WHEN u lose ur liable for cost of the trial... call sprecher and most likely u will never hear about it again
Old 01-05-2009, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

deffered is set by the judge
Old 01-06-2009, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02txceta
if the Officer shows up it is not likely it will be thrown out. If is a simple 10 over violation it would be an expensive proposition to hire an Attorney for that. I can tell you that in my time only maybe 2-3 violations were thrown out, out of say 200....not likely.
lawyer will probably be cheaper than paying the ticket or takign defensive driving.

Originally Posted by thesource
sounds like a huge waste of time.

He is batting 100% for me (3 tickets)

On all 3 of my tickets I had to go to the court building where the clerk read off a list of names of the cases that were dismissed. didnt have to seea judge, Da or anyone.

Originally Posted by enigmah
Ok thanks for all the advice guys.

I have taken deffered adjudication and the other thing already I THINK, does it reset every begining of the year or from the time i do it?

Im not 100% on the time i did it ill have to go back and look but thats what i would try to do.

Was pulled over by, HC Sheriff'

And i have to go see William V Yeoman.
on clay rd right? He is a pretty cool guy, he married my wife and I back in 01.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

yes yeoman is a good JP known him for years
Old 01-06-2009, 01:21 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I fought a pacing ticket many years ago.

In my case the officer claimed to be pacing me on I-10E an BW from 1 mile back. We checked, and there were 3 overpasses which would have obstructed his view. I was in a caravan of people who said I was not speeding, and it didn't matter. I went to court, and thet flipped out when I brought in all these witnesesses. They wanted to know if they were in the car. They got worried when they found out they were all in traffic around me.

Anyhow, when the officer was testifying he kept reducing down the pace distance. He and the prosecutor started at 1 mile, then 1/2 mile, then a 1/4 of a mile.... The bootm line is there never was a pace as the officer came flying up behind me with his light on and never had to opportunity to pace me.

I had witnesses who were behind me who saw what happened, we all went to court and had a trial by Jury. The net result was that it didn't matter the jurors felt that an officer was always more reliable than a "kid" with multiple witnesses. The ticket was for 81 in a 55 which at the time made me ineligible for normal defensive driving.

I posted a plea bond, hired an attorney, and just got the ticket dismissed.

After that, I just hired attorney's to start and never looked back. Fighting a ticket on your own is a loosing battle. Go deferred if you can't afford an attorney. But, if you get caught they will put a big hurting on you...

I have used Sprecher, and he always did fine by me. I use Byron Kirkpatrick at Harry Loftus now.

Byron Kirkpatrick
Harry A Loftus Jr & Assoc
401 Studewood St # 200
(713) 862-3131
Old 01-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Teching In

here in el paso you pay like 50-90 bucks to hire an attorney (plus you don't have to show up to court) and he'll or she'll dismiss it by simply getting it postponed until exhaustion. How much are fees around where all you guys live? What did you end up doing Enigmah?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I called david, he says bring the ticket in and 100 bux and he will do what he can. I like how he was like "Cant promise anything" lol.