New Daily Driver (U.S. Government Property!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any interior pics
?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by La Vida Loca
What kinda gas mileage you getting Chris??? I heard it's fantastic!
Its definitely not what I was hoping for. Hopefully correcting the tire size will help out a lot. I've heard it makes a considerable difference.

Originally Posted by A_W_O_L
I say we install a toilet one morning while he's sleeping in... We could suction cup a toilet paper holder to the back glass... That should put a stop to tailgaters...
It wouldn't suprise me if that happened one day!

Any interior pics?
No interior pics yet... I've been lazy.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:06 AM
Teching In

Uhhh. I believe if it was government property, it should have been de-tagged before it was auctioned off unless the markings are unremoveable which in this case, they were. Maybe thats why you got it for such a good deal?

http://www.acquisition.gov/far/
Old 01-27-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

nice beater you have there.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Slo-Mo-Shun
Its definitely not what I was hoping for. Hopefully correcting the tire size will help out a lot. I've heard it makes a considerable difference.
I'd convert it to WVO and cozy up to the local Chinese food place

http://www.greasecar.com/
Old 01-28-2009, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

all the govt trucks i drove were usually strippers is this one the same?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Military trucks are usually dogged on pretty bad, i hope you had a through inspection done.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
nice beater you have there.
Thanx Joe, I'm not sure this was the best time to buy a truck. But then again I wasn't sure if I'd be able to find another one, at such a good deal.

Originally Posted by 02SStreetmachine
Military trucks are usually dogged on pretty bad, i hope you had a through inspection done.
I was all over/under this truck on the used car lot. I worked for Mercedes-Benz for almost 5yrs. Absolutely no oil leaks what so ever. Not even any "seepage." I also took my brothers laptop with HPTuners to run codes. The only thing that I overlooked on the car lot was a broken clutch fan blade. (cheap fix) I know that the front clip has been "adjusted"... and it still needs work. But structurally the cab, frame, bed, and drive line are in awesome shape. The truck has been off road since I've owned it and the 4x4 works flawlessly.

Originally Posted by tigertank
all the govt trucks i drove were usually strippers is this one the same?
Yes, this truck is pretty much a base model. It has a rubber floor mat instead of carpet and AM/FM only radio. That, I'm cool with. But with it being 4x4 I prefer it have a mat because its easier to clean. No stains or mud going to mess up my carpet! Plus aftermarkets radios are easy enought to come by. It does have power windows, locks, and mirrors though.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Teching In

after seeing some of the vehicles my dad has had through his time working for the government i would never buy one of those cars. Seems like 9/10 they abuse the **** out of them
Old 01-29-2009, 03:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slo-Mo-Shun
Thanx Joe, I'm not sure this was the best time to buy a truck. But then again I wasn't sure if I'd be able to find another one, at such a good deal.

yea ive been looking as well. but im a lil reluctant to buy a fullsize seeing how the economy is doing and the gas prices rising back up. may not be the smartest choice being that i work for a oil related company that is about to cut a lot of jobs.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I too work for an oil related company... we're stretching big time right now... I'm selling off extras and eliminating bills... just paying everything off, luckily I don't have much I'm paying on... just getting ready for the worst...

-Rick
Old 01-29-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by La Vida Loca
I too work for an oil related company... we're stretching big time right now... I'm selling off extras and eliminating bills... just paying everything off, luckily I don't have much I'm paying on... just getting ready for the worst...

-Rick
yep. was considering trading in my truck once i get it back. but figure ill save the extra cash from not having a car payment. ive got plenty put away. just have to trick myself into thinking its really not there. and be a lil more frugal with my spending.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A_W_O_L
I say we install a toilet one morning while he's sleeping in... We could suction cup a toilet paper holder to the back glass... That should put a stop to tailgaters...

haha that would be something to see
Old 01-29-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Nice truck man, good find.

I was looking for an LBZ Duramax with low miles, Z71, etc and couldn't find one that I thought was reasonably priced. I figured that used large trucks would have a firesale on them by now, but I guess I was wrong. I ended up just getting a brand new 1/2 Ton Z71 because I couldn't pass up deal.

I also work in the oil industry and maybe now isn't the best time to be buying, but I have good reason to think my job is secure. Right now the guys working at the rigs are getting the worst of it, I'm more on the service/supply side of things. I hope oil makes a comeback this year, maybe not 100$/bl but 60-80 would be nice again.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 91Z28

I also work in the oil industry and maybe now isn't the best time to be buying, but I have good reason to think my job is secure. Right now the guys working at the rigs are getting the worst of it, I'm more on the service/supply side of things. I hope oil makes a comeback this year, maybe not 100$/bl but 60-80 would be nice again.
yea im not worried about my job going anywheres, being that i write all the cnc programs and whatnot. but its one of those cases where you never know. I am very confident in my abilities as well so im sure even in the worst case i would bounce back pretty fast from a massive layoff.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea im not worried about my job going anywheres, being that i write all the cnc programs and whatnot. but its one of those cases where you never know. I am very confident in my abilities as well so im sure even in the worst case i would bounce back pretty fast from a massive layoff.
Joe step into my office....cause your FAWKING fired!!!!

hahaha imagine....
Old 01-29-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by steveo346
Joe step into my office....cause your FAWKING fired!!!!

hahaha imagine....
been thru it once. would not at all be suprised to hear it again cause they want to pay someone less to do the same job.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

Our machinists in our shop are very secure in their jobs. Basically if layoffs come for us they'll trim a few office people, mostly salesman, and virtually all of the shop hands/laborers. I like to think like you do and not live my life afraid of what "might" happen.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Now i know where to find me some batteries..

Quick Reply: New Daily Driver (U.S. Government Property!)