Lookin' for locals - Fort Worth (56K Warning)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty 30
i thought u wanted to copy the color scheme of the 98 indy pace car corvette with all that yellow
LMFAO! I knew there was a reason for the purple comment.. HAHAHA! Well, I know I'm about to go "against the grain" on this comment but it is my PERSONAL preference. I don't like chrome (generally speaking). Everyone and their grandmother seems to have chrome rims. Since I like a splash of flashy colors, I sat down and thought, What in the h*ll would look good with Dark Green.. so, as you can imagine, almost NOOOO color looks good with Dark Green. It's just one of those colors that doesn't get alot of attention like the White Trans Ams, or Red, Black or even Blue.. I love the color, but let's face it.. Almost nothing accessorizes with Dark Green. I had a tan interior to boot! Yuck! So, I knew I didn't want tan rims.. LMFAO! So, I gutted the interior. And gutted it stayed for almost a full year. A buddy of mine came by one day with his T/A and I really liked his dark grey interior (he had dark grey with custom light blue accents). The color scheme contrasted really well although light blue isn't my cup of tea, so to speak. So, I took a snap shot of his interior and started photoshopping different pieces, with different colors. I was going thru the colors and I clicked on neon green. Dark grey and neon green would totally be different. By chance, I "accidently" selected yellow and when I clicked on the color change, it actually looked bad azz.

I am not a huge fan of yellow but it really pairs well with dark green. In the moment, my mind was made up.. Yellow. How much yellow? I didn't want to add a few pieces like it was an accident that I had a yellow part or two. I didn't want to add too much and make it look like a rice-mobile. So I started back with photoshop and after plenty of time and money, I decided on my current setup.. Total grey interior with a little yellow accent on my seats.. yellow Wolfe roll bar.. Yellow door panel inserts and yellow wake board speaker pods for my roll bar (yes, wake board speaker pods.. like the kind you mount on boats).. LOL. On the exterior, I wanted a hint of what was inside.. So, I had my ZR1 rims powder coated by Top Koat in Kennedale, Texas (Joe - the owner, and I are pretty good friends). A few weeks later, they came out looking Kick Azz!

I was so impressed by his work that I took misc parts from my engine (while it was laying in pieces), for him to powder coat. It should look good. This morning, I dropped my car off to be painted. When he popped the hood and opened it up, his words summed it up nicely.. "WHOAH!"

Anyways, this car is going to be my daily driver. There should be no mistaking me on the road. Anything that I can do to make my car stand out a little (tastefully) amoung others, I'm all for it.

Here are those speaker pods I mentioned (a wake board bar and my roll bar use the same size tubing). LOL! (I've also included a pic of my motorcycle that I used to own. I sold it because I ran out of money for this car):

BEFORE POWDER COATING:

AFTER POWDER COATING:

NOT MY CAR BUT IT IS A 4th GEN WITH A WOLFE ROLL BAR LIKE MINE:

From the picture above, you can see that I have a few points to mount my speaker pods on the roll bar, where they will be out of my way but will still allow me to have my music.

Here is my old bike that I used to ride down to Cresson:

Old 02-16-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joeformula
Officer Martinez, it's good to finally see you on the board! Its Joe from Top Koat. The project is finally looking like a car instead of parts and pieces. Hahaha.
Speaking of the man, the myth, the legend!! Hey bro!! How ya been? We towed the car this morning and dropped it off at the paint and body shop! Don't hate on a brutha but I bought a trans am rear bumper cover ($60), a trans am front bumper cover ($170), T/A side skirts ($175) and the rear T/A hatch ($125).. My formula is gonna be converted over to the dark side.. LMAO! I am getting it repainted the same color (Dark Green) but the roof portion is going to be painted black. I think it will look pretty clean looking.

For everyone who doesn't know, joeformula has known me for what... atleast 4 years? Joe is my go to guy on powder coating. He does EXCELLENT work! Every single piece of mine that is powder coated, was done by Joe (including my ex-motorcycle, my wifes ex-motorcycle, my car parts and even my computer cases! Speaking of which, can you powder coat my 20 lbs nitrous bottle.. it's painted blue (sigh). LOL!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah man time flies when you're having fun! I don't recommend powder coating the bottle since it's been heat treated to with stand so much pressure. You should coughcough paint it coughcough instead.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joeformula
You should coughcough paint it coughcough instead.
OH NO! ..lmao!
Old 02-19-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just a little update.. My paint and body work is going along nicely. I took a few misc parts that I took over to TopKoat powercoating in Kennedale today (thanks Joe)! Hopefully the car will be driveable in about 3 weeks (keeping fingers crossed)!

***** PS.. Does anyone have one of those portable trouble shooting code devices for a 1995 LT1? I think I am getting some kind of error code and my car idles (barely) around 400rpm.. ugh!

Last edited by officermartinez; 02-19-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Right on! You do know that you gotta stop by the shop when she's all done right?!
Old 02-20-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by officermartinez
***** PS.. Does anyone have one of those portable trouble shooting code devices for a 1995 LT1? I think I am getting some kind of error code and my car idles (barely) around 400rpm.. ugh!
eek... isnt 95 an odd year? like its OBD 1.5 or something like that?

if its still OBD-I, you use a paperclip on pins A and B on the OBD connector to make the check engine light blink the error code.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Yeah, 95 is OBDI with an OBDII style connector if I am not mistaken.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats good news.. (or is it)? I recall thinking that 1995 LT1 f-bodies were the weird batch.. Some came with OBD-1 and others OBD-2. As long as your sure the 1995's came with OBD-1 only, then I shouldn't need that diagnostic code reader?