D/FW Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default D/FW Track Days

Is there a group of people on here that frequently do track days with their car or motorcylce? I know a couple people that autoX once a quarter it seems like, but not much more than that. I'm getting to the point that doing crazy **** on the highway isn't enough anymore and want to take it to the track. I only know about Eagle Canyon up NW of Denton, Cresson and Oakhill out in Henderson. Are there any other places that people go to race?

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 02-26-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Kennedale on Sunday's...
Old 02-26-2009, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Try checking out the Lonestar Muscle crew, they have a track meet every week

They have a sticky up top.

Zach
Promoter for LSM
Old 02-26-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry I should have clarified, I was talking more of a road course type of racing, not dragging. All the places I listed are road courses in the area, once I get my other project done I'll make it out to the 1/8th in Denton and Kennedale.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Yes, Motorsports Ranch Cresson and Eagle's Canyon are the only 2 in this area that I know of. Then there is Texas World Speedway in College Station. I have done HPDEs (High Performance Driving Event/School) at MSR and TWS with The Driver's Edge. I may do Eagle's Canyon this year. If you have not done this kind of thing, I recommend one of the driving schools like TDE or NASA. It's more expensive than drag racing but damn it's fun.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too would suggest The Driver's Edge.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Driver's Edge is what I've been looking at, its just hard for me to fork that much $ over for a weekend.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Driver's Edge is what I've been looking at, its just hard for me to fork that much $ over for a weekend.
It's tough to write that first check because you really don't know what to expect.

But over 2 hours of track time over the weekend and an assigned instructor is quite a value.

And Cresson is a PERFECT track to begin on. Lots of open space, nothing to hit, lots of run-off, decent speeds ...
Old 02-28-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys, I'll have to check out Drivers Edge and see what you guys are talking about. Does Drivers Edge only instruct for cars or do they offer motorcycle instruction as well?
Old 02-28-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cars only. There is a similar organization for bikes, though.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks, I did research AFTER I posted, lol and found a couple that make the rounds here. For anyone interested in bikes they are Lonestar Track Days and Texas Track Days.

I'm guessing the items needing attention are tires, pads/rotors/fluid, engine oil and radiator/coolant. Are those the main things I need to be sure of when beating on my car for 20 minutes at a time?
Old 02-28-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ulakovic22
For anyone interested in bikes they are Lonestar Track Days and Texas Track Days.

Where are those tracks located?

Last edited by 99problemz; 02-28-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks, I did research AFTER I posted, lol and found a couple that make the rounds here. For anyone interested in bikes they are Lonestar Track Days and Texas Track Days.

I'm guessing the items needing attention are tires, pads/rotors/fluid, engine oil and radiator/coolant. Are those the main things I need to be sure of when beating on my car for 20 minutes at a time?
Each organization has a tech form.

http://www.thedriversedge.net/08_forms.htm

If your car is safe for the street, it should pass tech without an issue.

Please understand that this and organizations like it, are designed for you to become a better driver. If you park your ego at the front gate and really listen to your instructor, you will become absolutely amazed at how much you can learn and how much you can get out of your car. This is not the place or venue to "do crazy ****".

Last edited by mitchntx; 02-28-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99problemz
Where are those tracks located?
Those are schools like Drivers Edge except for motorcycles. They go to Oakhill, MSR - Cressen and Houston, and Eagle Canyon. You can go to their site and get more information.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

For your first time out there is really not that much. They have a tech inspection that has to be done by a certified mechanic which will point out any problems. Good pads and high temp fluid is a good idea for the brakes as our stock brakes fade quickly at high speeds. Good tires in good shape will be fine. I only really started having tire wear issues at my 4th and 5th events.

Like Mitch said, leave your ego at home. It's basically impossible to impress the instructors so don't try. They will push you beyond your safety zone and have you taking corners faster than you thought possible. The initial weakness is you, not the car.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
They will push you beyond your safety zone and have you taking corners faster than you thought possible. The initial weakness is you, not the car.
Very well said. I hope I was able to pass along something that has helped.

Nothing illustrates how "weak" one really is as a driver until you are schooled by a mini-Cooper, carrying 2 passengers. It was eye-opening and really made me sit up and pay attention to my instructor.

I've been doing track days since 00 and wheel to wheel racing since 05. I still like to have an instructor ride along. Old habits are hard to break and creep into your style over time.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Between work and vacation trips already planned I won't have a lot of time to make it to the track so it would be WAY cheaper for me to just pay as a guest instead of a membership of some sort. After completing the drivers course how much would it cost to just show up for a day at the track?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Between work and vacation trips already planned I won't have a lot of time to make it to the track so it would be WAY cheaper for me to just pay as a guest instead of a membership of some sort. After completing the drivers course how much would it cost to just show up for a day at the track?
There is no "guest" feature to running on these courses. Either join the club or pay for the weekend.

Now, once you get established and the different clubs know you, you can get "invited" to special events.

I will be at MSR-C Saturday for a 1/2 day deal at ~$50 a session. It's a tune up for next weekend's race.

But a Joe in a fast car just can't show up and decide to run. That would be dangerous and stoopid.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

I'm not talking about some Joe in a fast car. I would go there and take the Drivers Edge course and learn, possibly get a license but after that if I want to race do I need to become a member and pay $3,500 + $90 monthly due + $20 a session or can I show up maybe 2-3 times a year and race on an open weekday/weekend for like $150-$200 a day. Only reason I ask is because on the guest driver form it asks for licenses or track day schools attended.

It sounds like if I want to do this everyonce in a while I pretty much need to continue taking the Driver's Edge class and just change classes as I get more comfortable from Novice to Intermediate to Advanced.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

It sounds like if I want to do this every once in a while I pretty much need to continue taking the Driver's Edge class and just change classes as I get more comfortable from Novice to Intermediate to Advanced.
It's the only way I know to get track access without becoming a member.