Oil Rig Jobs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
There is always a shortage of good pipe welders also. Maybe go enroll in some welding classes and get your certs. They make good money, and plenty of overtime.
NDT (Nondestructive Testing) people are also in need.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jdmoore144
Its become a bidding war around here. Its starting to become where noone can make money. They cut are hours and pay within the last month. There is still plenty to drill but it seems like its not worth it for them.
It's getting to be that way. When the gas was a $4 for reg everyone was gung-ho on drilling cause the money was there. Now we barely hit $2 for supreme and they're crapping their pants cause its costing them to drill.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

My father-in-law is a consultant. He's an onsite manager/coordinator for drilling and workover locations. Last year, the crews he had pretty much worked 7 days a week and often around the clock. In the last couple of months, he is sending them home on weekends and holidays. It has definitely slowed down. He said there haven't been hardly any layoffs, but hours have been cut back. He did mention the only layoffs he had heard of were of salesmen who sucked at their job.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

My company is in the natural gas pipeline business. We have a few jobs that were already on the books a little while back but the customers at the door certainly aren't lining up these days. Our associates are having to go hunt for work for next year.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe this is the case on land rigs. Look into Transocean if you want to work offshore. We will be hiring between 1000 and 1500 people within the next year or two. We have 10 brand new rigs coming out of the shipyard and are going to need crew them up. I know for sure that they will be hiring all positions within the next couple of months. Go to www.deepwater.com and see what job positions they have avaliable right now. The offshore oil field is still going strong, and I think that it is going to be one of the few industries that will remain strong through these hard economic times
i know soem transocean rigs are booked for several years. steady business
Old 03-05-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

most aren't hiring in the O&G field due the obvious price per barrell.

I graduated with a strong petroleum specific degree and couldn't land an oil job... Now I work for an environmental consulting company as a geologist/geotechnical engineer
Old 03-05-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ImpSS07
It's getting to be that way. When the gas was a $4 for reg everyone was gung-ho on drilling cause the money was there. Now we barely hit $2 for supreme and they're crapping their pants cause its costing them to drill.
it's more with PPB not, gas prices.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by -Ross-
My father-in-law is a consultant. He's an onsite manager/coordinator for drilling and workover locations. Last year, the crews he had pretty much worked 7 days a week and often around the clock. In the last couple of months, he is sending them home on weekends and holidays. It has definitely slowed down. He said there haven't been hardly any layoffs, but hours have been cut back. He did mention the only layoffs he had heard of were of salesmen who sucked at their job.
somewhat the case, but most companies that are "feeling the heat" are just trimming the excess fat that they don't need.... financial/sales seem to be first to go
Old 03-05-2009, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DarkblueTA
NDT (Nondestructive Testing) people are also in need.
I'm a nde (ndt) technician and its getting scary slow out there the last 2 years kicked *** but this year is scary dead. I'm a level 2 UT (flawdetection) level 2 pt, mt, rt, tired of writing I'm level 2 across the board.
Hopefully oil and gas prices will get back up there so we can get back to work
Old 03-05-2009, 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ImpSS07
I've heard that some of the rig up yards around houston are going to start hiring again. I was building land rigs until they let all but the best blowers go.
I doubt it. I don't know what everybody does who is posting that things aren't that bad - they are. They are going to continue to get worse. The 12 counties I work rigs are down 40%, most of the other areas in south TX are the same. New vertical plays are pretty much dead, the new lateral stuff is going strong, but it won't last if prices don't go up. Several independent companies we work for are nearly bankrupt.
Haliburton packed up their wireline stuff and left Victoria. Schlumberger closed their cementing yard in Victoria. Heard rumors wood group is closing their yard. PLPS is barely making payroll.
Their are some oil companies that will stay active but if Obama's proposed tax increase on the O&G industry goes through the industry in the US will all but shut down.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Mi Swaco, I do compliance, learning how to run mud, being a mud engineer is the next step. What about yourself?
Im a Directional Driller for Baker Hughes. A mud man huh? Cool, i worked derricks for 3 years on land. Ive never been offshore but have worked all over Texas and western OK. Its freeking slow my whole family is in the oil field from my grandfather down and we all feel the pinch. Luckily this isnt our first bust so we all have a little put away
Old 03-05-2009, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

The shale over in Louisiana is still going, but not near as strong as it has been. Its showing signs of slowing down as well. Even the natural gas rigs I have been delivering to in SW Oklahoma are putting up. We have been seeing pipe being brought back to the yard here left and right, and none going back out.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Yep, calongo_SS is right. My wife works in HR at one of the largest offshore companies, and they're laying off left and right. My mother-in-law is part owner in a tool company.

Prepare to have windmills in your backyyard and all your pristine landscape covered and dying because they've blanketed it with solar panels.

Sure, the answer is alternative fuels to get us away from our dependence on foreign oil, not drilling for more oil on our own soil.

Refineries are actually cutting capacity now to raise the gas prices.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Breakfast Fanatic

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Mi Swaco, I do compliance, learning how to run mud, being a mud engineer is the next step. What about yourself?
You ever at their new building off the beltway?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
We talked to the VP of drilling at a major independent yesterday. They have 3 shelf rigs and 1 deep water going in the gulf. They anticipate releasing all of them sometime in the next 3 months. International offshore is going to be ok, but it's not going to be great. The majors will keep exploring, but development drilling is going to slow way down.
I disagree about the international being okay... Last year ~96% of all 'Jack-up' rigs were contracted. Right now~80% have contracts, but will continue to drop. Forecast is for about 60% before it bottoms out. My company just sold (in the past 3 months) 8 of it's 16 rigs and has been letting people go. Our rig just lost its contract and is due to travel from India to Singapore inside the month. I quit yesterday (Tuesday night here) and just got back a few hours ago. I'm taking a few days off but will start the search for a job OUTSIDE the industry. If you're qualified and desire it, good luck. It's getting tougher to get into right now. NOV is laying off, land rigs are down, 3 years from now, when the oil is steady above 60, it'll start climbing again. Best wishes!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

few friends of my got laid off at the oil rigs over by pampa and wheeler, just not as busy as they use to be. under water welding is good pay but there is a 6mo school for it though!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:28 PM
12 Second Club

COILED TUBINING dude, were still working all over. We do it all, Directional, acidizing, drilling plugs, fishing. Well intervention is still busy since we dont rely on new completions. Main diff from us and conventioal rigs is that we trip one continous pipe instead of many.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Banned

My company is now having voluntary layoffs (sweet severance packages+benefits) and then will have involuntary layoffs after that if their numbers don't work. I am nervous as hell because I have not been there even a year. They just gave me the fattest bonus check I've ever seen so I hope that means they like me. I've sent feelers out to my boss and they came back positive, but you just never really know....I am still nervous because I know with the economy and the price of oil, this could get even uglier real fast...
Old 03-06-2009, 01:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Derrickman,

We got y'alls solid controls folk out here, good bunch of guys. It's slowed down, kind of sucks to have to worry but your right, thats what you save for.

Originally Posted by Pewter02TA
You ever at their new building off the beltway?
I worked in that office for about 3 years in the R&E building, I work out of Harvey, LA now. My dad still lives on that side of town.

They did similar with some of the older field hands that were close to retirment.

Last edited by BizZzatch350; 03-06-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by derrickman05
Im a Directional Driller for Baker Hughes.
you happen to know monitou bishop? he is a land DD workign that same area I believe.

Quick Reply: Oil Rig Jobs?