Fork Lift 0, Narrow Squeeze 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
No, that's my family's business in Beaumont.
Looked like a local company in Houston. I work for the Clark dealer in Houston if ya have any questions about those units.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
I was a forklift driver for many years, and I'm very good at it if I may say so. That kind of thing happened several times at the company I worked at. It doesn't take much to bring down those warehouse racks when they are holding so much weight. If you knock one leg out the whole thing will come down, empty it wouldn't. We worked so hard and so fast with ratty lifts in a crowded plant that accidents happened. I never had one like that but I've come in on a Saturday to help pick up and organize 20,000+ electric A/C fan motors because one of my co-workers did. If you passed the drug test and didn't do it many times you kept your job. One to times in my life that I've been the most terrified, as in a grown tough man literally about to pass out or throw up is when I had a load of about 6,000 lbs of steel racks full of A/C coils shift then teeter over the heads of two guys who were so busy bull-shitting they couldn't hear me yelling and blowing the horn so they would run away. I really thought they were going to be crushed to death by my load. It stayed on a hair trigger and they eventually looked up and ran. I had to take the afternoon off I was so upset, I had seen loads fall from less many times. I ended up quitting that job and the ever increasing level of danger was a big reason. Not long after I left a guy had a hair-pin rack fall right in front of him, bounce up, catch him under the jaw and try to remove his head going back up. He had bones coming out of his shoulders and jaw, he was just a temp. Sucks, he lived but is jacked-up for life. Since then they've made improvements.

Several years before that I worked at a home improvement store and was bringing in a big-*** load of lumber, like treated 2x6x16s. I had it really high to clear the other stacks and ran over a small board while looking up and rolling. This caused the big lift to start tipping over and throw the load of lumber over a fence into lawn and garden where family's were shopping. I just threw the lever to full drop and held on. The load was so heavy that it came down fast enough for the lift to right itself before the load flipped off. One of the store managers who was walking along side (and missed the board) was about to faint it was so scary and drawn out. If you've ever witnessed someone or people about to be killed and be helpless to stop it you never forget it. Weight is a bitch when it falls on you.

Vernon
Que que? Cliff notes?
Old 03-06-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

If he'd just dropped the pallet, and picked it up STRAIGHT he might've made it through.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ckyconan2003
i doubt that was entirely his fault. seems like that scaffolding wasnt assembled right or maybe was over its reccomended weight specs. sure did fall down rather easily. i could be wrong though.

Thats what I thought.. It may not have been bolted down to the floor..